Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,021,107 times

Advertisements

Thanks knt, yes my recruiter is wonderful I'm so thankful for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 12:26 PM

926 posts, read 1,258,279 times
Do you know what happened to your former boss?

I worked for a boss who slandered, embellished, and did whatever she could to keep her employees from getting a new position and ultimately got the agency sued for this conduct.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:33 PM

30,343 posts, read 23,812,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I tried to choose a representative bunch of questions that didn't make the conversation too long. So my friend called and here's how it went:

1. What dates was she employed? 2. What was her job title and what were her responsibilities?

She answered these.

3. How would you rate her job performance? (for my boss)

She said I was quick and efficient but didn't complete my second round of training.

4. How did she get along with her coworkers? (for my boss)

That I got along with people well but sometimes could come across to people as knowing a lot (apparently being smart is intimidating), and she mentioned that I did talk a lot (considering that I would get annoyed by all the chit chat around me that surprised me), and that some girl moved out of my cubicle area cuz I talk a lot (which is bull again because I would not be talking while that girl who did move out would come in and chitchat with the other girl in our area for hours).

5. Did she have good attendance?

Yes she didn't have any excessive absences.

6. Why did she leave the position?

"I can't answer that."

7. Is she eligible for rehire?

"No."

She also told them they could speak to human resources if they wanted to but she can't give anymore information unless they make a formal FOIA request. I don't think most employers would do that because it costs money and takes time.

My friend said it was obvious my old boss was super nervous on the phone but didn't sense any animosity.

Tomorrow morning I will call human resources, ask the same questions, and see what they say.

Any thoughts?
Yes, being smart apparently IS intimidating! Also, doesn't matter the truth, it's the PERCEPTION of the truth that these people are sharing...which, I have always fought against. Perception is NOT reality. I wish people would stop with this bullsh**.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM

redd I honestly don't know, probably nothing. At most she's probably on alert.

For now I'm putting my complaint on hold until I get a job, someone told me that me doing this complaint could show up on a background and to wait until I found a job before doing anything. My main concern now is finding employment as it is.

I agree three wolves, what's funny to me is I worked with 20 smart people, we all ranged from bachelor's to PHD's, so how on earth am I acting like a know it all when I'm surrounded by other smart people who are essentially know it alls? WHATEVER!

Either way the job application is going much more smoothly now, have a great job opportunity right now that I'm working towards and am praying it works out for me

Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,641,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
Do you know what happened to your former boss?

I worked for a boss who slandered, embellished, and did whatever she could to keep her employees from getting a new position and ultimately got the agency sued for this conduct.

Wow what a vindictive boss you used to work for.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,641,597 times
Quote:
redd I honestly don't know, probably nothing. At most she's probably on alert.

For now I'm putting my complaint on hold until I get a job, someone told me that me doing this complaint could show up on a background and to wait until I found a job before doing anything. My main concern now is finding employment as it is.

I agree three wolves, what's funny to me is I worked with 20 smart people, we all ranged from bachelor's to PHD's, so how on earth am I acting like a know it all when I'm surrounded by other smart people who are essentially know it alls? WHATEVER!

Either way the job application is going much more smoothly now, have a great job opportunity right now that I'm working towards and am praying it works out for me
I hope it works out for you too

Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,508,081 times
Quote:
So recently I was working a job, I moved to a new state for the job, uprooted myself and my husband for this job. I have a bachelor and master's degree in science.

I loved the job, but things were really hard, after 7 years of marriage I finally got pregnant (I have a medical condition that makes it hard), my boss was supportive, I was happy, but then I miscarried and things went downhill. I still did my job and was in denial about everything that happened. I lived like a zombie for months while doing my job. My husband during that time also lost his job (very unfairly- a week after he told his boss he had MS he was fired even though he had the highest workload at the company and at a previous job doing the same thing had like 6 years of experience). My MIL also became very sick and almost died, had surgery and a portion of her intestines removed because they almost perforated. Needless to say I was a wreck and probably should have taken time off. And to top it all off anytime my mom called me she'd ask if I was pregnant to the point it made me a nervous wreck when she would call.

I went back into training for my job for a new skill set, when it came time to think and take a test (I had taken at least 4 others for this new training), I used notes on the exam. I was caught and asked if I had done this before, I said yes, that I had on the previous exam, on one question. I explained that I really only had my notes to copy the same wording on a question and nothing else.

They made me take the test again, I did and passed with flying colors.

I told them since my miscarriage I just lost all my confidence and probably should have told them about my insecurities. I just had this irrational fear of not doing a good job I didn't trust myself to take a test (I know stupid).

They asked if I wanted to resign, I said no, I wanted to prove I could do this, they said okay.

They kept me for almost a month, I continued my training and told them I'd do whatever they asked me to do if I could stay. I started therapy as well. In another area of my work another person was caught faking results for the past 5 years, he was fired, and I think that's when things changed for the worse.

My last week they decided to do an IA investigation, had these people come down, talk to me, and talked to a few of my coworkers.

In the end I was fired for misconduct. I was a little surprised given it took them 3 weeks to decide to do an investigation and a month to let me go.

My former boss told me she was sorry and that it was out of her hands and she was sorry for the way I was treated in the end. She told me she'd give me a reference. I thanked her and left.

I know what I did was wrong, no debate about that, but I'm a good person who made a stupid mistake during a time of high stress, I went to therapy to sort myself out, and am now ready to go back to work, knowing I'd rather fail a test than EVER do that again.

That being said, now it's been two months since I lost that job. My husband and I decided it was best to return to our home state, which we did and moved in with my mother. My husband is now working again, but I am stuck in a rut. I keep applying for jobs, being honest, and not getting the job.

I finally spoke to a friend who is a recruiter who told me to 1- lie and say I left my job to relocate back to my home state because the job wasn't a good fit, and 2- not to use my supervisor as a reference and to only list the number at HR.

I feel kind of uneasy doing this, but being honest has gotten me nowhere so far, I have two old coworkers who promised to give me glowing references (I believe them), and from my job before that know SO MANY people who would give me amazing references, that I think I would probably be okay.

So while my resume is glowing from all my work experience, I just question in this case if I should just go ahead and put "relocation back to (my home state)" and in the interview just explain the job wasn't a good fit, and hope for the best?

Thanks.
Just meditate on this thought please. You are questioning a recruiter's professional advice, whom is your friend, and is in the business of landing jobs for people?

I wish I was in your shoes I would love to pick their brain. Listen to them, they know a lot more about how to get a job then you and I do otherwise we wouldn't be chatting right now would we? Please don't take this is as me slamming you I had a similar string of 3 really bad years with major family/health issues.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:40 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,600,493 times
Where's "being honest"?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:53 PM

653 posts, read 1,804,732 times
I just got a call from 1-000-000-0000. I thought it was going to be my first potential employer call in two months.
Please be so.

I answered and the guy, in a thick east Indian accent said he is with the "Federal Government Grants Administration" (I asked him to repeat that), and that I have been selected to receive a $7,000 grant without having to pay any tax!

WOO HOO! I'm rich!

I asked him to take me off his calling list of course.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:10 PM

Well if anyone wants an update, things are going a lot better for myself and hubby, he just landed a great job with a great company. He starts in November. He's working at a temp right now until the end of the month just to help pay bills.

As for myself I had a great interview Friday, and they sent me paperwork to fill out. When asked about my last job I said it wasn't a good fit and I relocated to CA. I also said that the state in general wasn't a good fit for my husband and part of the reason for our relocation was because my husband was more able to find better work in CA and go to school to further his career while I put mine on hold. BUT since this great opportunity came along we decided that I'd go to this job and that he would follow me eventually. They seemed fine with that.

The job asked about my last supervisor but I am only listing HR and HR's number. If asked why I'm saying there is a strict company policy about references so my boss won't be a reference. Unfortunately the other two people who said they'd give a good reference won't either, but I guess that helps validate things.

I have many other good references so I'm not worried.

Thanks all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment