Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendhanbb View Post
ok so i am 24 years old and i have never had a job before in my life. i am looking right now but no place is hireing me i am told its because after i hand in my application or resusme i do not call them back the next day and then repeat calling them back everyday untill i get the job or they say stop calling us you dont have the job. but honestly i do not know what to do because i am trying places like mcdonalds and even they wont hire me and i really really need a job badly and i have no idea how to get one since i have no money and if i go back to school it will just be a waste of time for me right now. i failed badly and i just dont know what to do. like how do i get a job at mcdonalds or walmart do i really have to call them up every day untill they say no and then move on to the next one. heck even dishwashers say oh u need exprence. well how am i supposed to get exprence.
Your parents failed you and your spelling is horrible.

I may hire you to pull weeds in my yard, but that's about all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendhanbb View Post
i failed badly at school. yes the highest i have is high school right now. and yeah i mean i need a job at mcdonalds or walmart or something like that but i feel like when i do apply they already have enough people working there. like i said i have not tired calling them back which may be the mistake i am doing but what happens when all they do is say no. i really have no exprence do anything and i really need a job a teenager can do thats the best i can hope for right now.
Me smells a troll.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
What a great thread with much good general advice. I am so enthused, I may go out and start looking for another job....LOL. Of course, I am almost 70 and still work in accounting and tax, the advice looks good to me. Plus, I have several grandsons, some drifting, some trying, some making a go of it, one that got into trouble at an early age that is a hard worker though, so all things I can use with them. Thx to all with positive suggestions.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Me smells a troll.
You may be right but still a good thread and advice for a lot of people in the same boat or with friends and relatives that are experiencing these problems.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why don't you open your own business and hire who you prefer to hire?

You can open any business you like - and then you don't have to be greedy, selfish or care about money and you can hire the people without any qualifications or work history.
i probably would do that, and it would be an entry-level job, overall i just can't stand it on how minimum-wage entry-level service jobs in fast-food, retail, stocking merchandise, even those type of jobs give a crap about work experience and qualifications, mcdonalds and grocery stores

Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
i probably would do that, and it would be an entry-level job, overall i just can't stand it on how minimum-wage entry-level service jobs in fast-food, retail, stocking merchandise, even those type of jobs give a crap about work experience and qualifications, mcdonalds and grocery stores
Because all of those jobs require certain skills. I've worked Mickey D's (back when the pay was $3.05/hr)- counter people have to be able to read and have people skills, they need to be able to remember what the customer is ordering and they need to be able to hear (or read lips very well). Back of the house needs to be able to move fast and produce items quickly, be able to remember all of the various tones and tunes the equipment makes to signal different stages of cooking, and be able to manage all of the processes you are responsible for without getting in the way of other people and to work cooperatively with the other people...and you're working around hazardous equipment that could hurt you or someone else because of a moment's inattention or carelessness.

Retail- reading, people skills, salesmanship, etc.

Stocking- reading, neatness, accuracy and reasonable speed.

Even collecting grocery carts requires knowledge and skill in operating the machine that many (even most?) larger stores use for pushing the carts.

Add to that the myriad of labor laws that can make it a PITA to fire someone and the hit to unemployment insurance, plus the chance of being sued.

Face it, unless you're going to work for some small-time mom & pop operation, the odds are that you're going to have to have some kind of skills and record to show a potential employer that you're worth the risk.

These days, some companies even make you take a Psych test before you have a chance of being hired. You don't get into the company I work for without a comprehensive nation-wide criminal background check, and some employees are subject to random drug/alcohol testing as well.. The days of walking into a place with a clean face, fingernails and shirt and getting a job are nearly over. And guess who you have to thank for that? Sue-happy people who don't take responsibility for their own actions, the ACLU, lawyers, labor activists, and politicians, to name a few. But don't worry, most of them are just trying to 'help' you.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Because all of those jobs require certain skills. I've worked Mickey D's (back when the pay was $3.05/hr)- counter people have to be able to read and have people skills, they need to be able to remember what the customer is ordering and they need to be able to hear (or read lips very well). Back of the house needs to be able to move fast and produce items quickly, be able to remember all of the various tones and tunes the equipment makes to signal different stages of cooking, and be able to manage all of the processes you are responsible for without getting in the way of other people and to work cooperatively with the other people...and you're working around hazardous equipment that could hurt you or someone else because of a moment's inattention or carelessness.

Retail- reading, people skills, salesmanship, etc.

Stocking- reading, neatness, accuracy and reasonable speed.

Even collecting grocery carts requires knowledge and skill in operating the machine that many (even most?) larger stores use for pushing the carts.

Add to that the myriad of labor laws that can make it a PITA to fire someone and the hit to unemployment insurance, plus the chance of being sued.

Face it, unless you're going to work for some small-time mom & pop operation, the odds are that you're going to have to have some kind of skills and record to show a potential employer that you're worth the risk.

These days, some companies even make you take a Psych test before you have a chance of being hired. You don't get into the company I work for without a comprehensive nation-wide criminal background check, and some employees are subject to random drug/alcohol testing as well.. The days of walking into a place with a clean face, fingernails and shirt and getting a job are nearly over. And guess who you have to thank for that? Sue-happy people who don't take responsibility for their own actions, the ACLU, lawyers, labor activists, and politicians, to name a few. But don't worry, most of them are just trying to 'help' you.
is there not a single a job out there that requires absolutely no skills at all? not even being a ticket-taker, usher at a movie theater?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:52 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
is there not a single a job out there that requires absolutely no skills at all? not even being a ticket-taker, usher at a movie theater?
You could collect cans.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
At the risk of repeating myself...

A tenant at a property I manage left Colorado right after High School Graduation for California.

She had always told everyone she was headed to California.

With savings from her high school jobs and an old payed for car... she said goodbye to friends and family and drove to the Bay Area... that was two years ago.

The only person she knew was an older sister of someone she went to High School with.

She landed a waitress job on her second day and never looked back. Tonight, she told me she was flying home for Christmas to see family and then right back.

So here was an 18 year old girl, that had worked in food service in High School, totally on her own and she is living her dream and not yet even 21...

Let's face it... the prospects for some are just about hopeless and for others, with enough determination, can turn a dream into reality.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
I may have missed this in one of the responses but was there a reason you have never had a job? Such as a medical problem? Regardless I would think a future employer on an interview would ask and your response will be important in terms of being given a chance at the job.
I would encourage you to volunteer and to make an appointment with a counselor at a community college or adult ed school. The counselor could help direct you based on the interests and skill level you have. If you do have a learning disability or struggle in school they could also help with those barriers.
I feel if this is a valid post that some of the responses are hurtful and harsh. If the OP does have a hard time with spelling for example to make fun of the problem does not help. Instead to encourage him to get a tutor for spelling would of been a better response.
If there was no reason behind lack of employment I still feel he/she can't change the past but can the future. I do wonder what now has made you decide to do so and not at an earlier point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment