Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:32 PM

827 posts, read 1,092,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
just hate how even dead-end jobs, entry-level, minimum-wage jobs require or expect you to have past work experience, qualifications, skills, etc.
Tough. Even in the 1950s, people expected potential employees to have a brain and have some skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 PM

256 posts, read 619,817 times
Become a truck driver or a welder. Seriously with the oil boom in many states you will not be out of work. Many trucking companies will pay for your training as long as you work for them.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:42 PM

21 posts, read 156,623 times
Quote:
just hate how even dead-end jobs, entry-level, minimum-wage jobs require or expect you to have past work experience, qualifications, skills, etc.
yes i know its stupid.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 PM

510 posts, read 1,448,625 times
I would highly suggest job corps. It's only for ages 16 to 24 so call them soon and try to get started. It's free- they give you job/career training and then help you with job placement.

What Is Job Corps?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:10 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,612,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendhanbb View Post
yes i know its stupid.
yeah i know who would you rather hire? somebody who could accidentally kill you by doing surgery or someone who just rings up your groceries?

Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,230,633 times
Quote:
yeah i know who would you rather hire? somebody who could accidentally kill you by doing surgery or someone who just rings up your groceries?

Old 12-28-2012, 08:34 PM

48 posts, read 87,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
Maybe school and a regular job aren't for you. Did you ever think about becoming an entrepreneur?
It's not as easy as people think. I'm an entrepreneur, by the way. From my experience as well as looking at others, you need at least the minimum of the following.

(1) Skills!

When I say skills, I mean just about anything will do, whether it's good at pingpong, gaming, or shooting at squirrels. Anything will do. But you gotta be really good at something. Good enough, in fact, that you can compete with others and be a viable option.

(2) Confidence!

A little confidence comes a long way. When you are working for yourself or others, most of the time people will not really notice if you are doing the job right. They will only look at how confident you are at doing your job. Same goes with job interviews. And when I say confidence, I also mean having the confidence to say "I don't know, but I am versatile and am fully willing to ask for help".

(3) Goal!

Short and long term. My short term goal is to expand my business even more than it already is. My long term goal is to have a home, family, kids, etc. You know, the American dream. Nothing special.

(4) People skills!

Ok, I know there are some rather successful people who suck at people skills. But this one is really really important. Unless you're working with robots, you're going to have to work with people. And part of the people skills I'm talking about is being able to communicate in a linear and coherent manner and be proud of it.

(5) Base of operation.

You need some kind of support structure before you can build your own. Could be your parents. Could be your friends. Could be your school. Could be anything.

To the OP, I advise you to look at these and see where you are. I can't say about #5, but you definitely do not have 1-4.

As someone else said, you've fallen. Get up and try again. Find another job. Even if you start picking up dog poop in people's yard, that's something. I used to dog sit when I was younger. Don't get discouraged.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 PM

11,489 posts, read 11,195,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendhanbb View Post
anyways right now i did finally get a job at a tim hortons just this week but sadly i got fired after 3 days i was a bus boy my 3rd day on friday actaully that 3 days ago from when i posted this i was told i was too slow and this job was not for everyone. for the record i did my best. i was honestly not just sitting around. i was honestly trying my best to constantly do stuff and i really do not know how or why i was too slow.

so now i have even alot less confidence i had before. and not even sure how to froce myself to handle simple working jobs. i really do not know what to do right now
Okay partner, this is a serious question, so don't take it the wrong way. After reading your posts in this thread, you come across as someone who suffers from a serious cognitive and/or developmental disability. Have you ever been diagnosed with any issues of this nature? The reason I ask is because certain companies have hiring quotas for people who suffer from various forms of mental and physical handicaps, and will hire these people for low end entry level positions to stay on track with their corporate mandated best hiring practices. One such example would be supermarkets looking to fill bagger positions. Naturally, your disability has to be profesionally documeted in your medical history, but if this is truly the case, it may be your best shot to getting on your own two feet and becoming at least partially independant.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:03 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,612,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
yeah well it really extremely angers me, frustrates me, that you need past work experience, qualifications in order to get hired for even a part-time minimum-wage job that pays 8 to 10 bucks an hour, such as being a stock clerk, gathering shopping-carts, bussing tables, washing dishes, etc.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 PM

11,489 posts, read 11,195,779 times
Quote:
yeah well it really extremely angers me, frustrates me, that you need past work experience, qualifications in order to get hired for even a part-time minimum-wage job that pays 8 to 10 bucks an hour, such as being a stock clerk, gathering shopping-carts, bussing tables, washing dishes, etc.
Even if past work experience was not a requirement for the job, don't you think the HR managers would still hire someone for the position over someone who has none?

There are people out there right now with graduate degrees and 20 years of experience in various fields that are working jobs well below their level of academics or experience. That is just the world we live in now. Yeah, I know it sucks, but the HR people are gonna take the best candidate that's willing to work for the wage that's offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment