Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:48 PM

48 posts, read 87,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Even if past work experience was not a requirement for the job, don't you think the HR managers would still hire someone for the position over someone who has none?

There are people out there right now with graduate degrees and 20 years of experience in various fields that are working jobs well below their level of academics or experience. That is just the world we live in now. Yeah, I know it sucks, but the HR people are gonna take the best candidate that's willing to work for the wage that's offered.
Well, yes, to some extent. There is such a thing as being over-qualified. Right after I got my 2nd degree in engineering, when the job market tanked, I applied to a company called OMRON. What was the position I was applying for? Well, they were only hiring technicians. So, I was applying to be a technician instead of an engineer. I passed all their interviews with flying colors. That and I got years of experience working in the field before I went back to get my second degree. Anyway, after a couple interviews, the big boss came in holding my resume. He said he was going to be upfront with me. They were interviewing another candidate who only had 2 year degree in a tech school. I was what he would call over-qualified. My resume scared him for 2 reasons: (1) because I was over-qualified, as soon as something more to my level comes up I will leave his company right away and (2) if he hired me he wouldn't know how to treat me.

So, I was feeling down for a couple weeks because they chose to hire some associates degree dude over me. Well, the big boss did tell me he was doing me a favor by not hiring me, because shortly after that I got a job as an honest to god research engineer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 09:56 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
yeah well it really extremely angers me, frustrates me, that you need past work experience, qualifications in order to get hired for even a part-time minimum-wage job that pays 8 to 10 bucks an hour, such as being a stock clerk, gathering shopping-carts, bussing tables, washing dishes, etc.

I don't know that you -need- to have previous experience doing those jobs but look at it this way, if you were the employer, wouldn't you rather hire someone with previous work experience in the same or similar role?

Old 12-29-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
Well, yes, to some extent. There is such a thing as being over-qualified. Right after I got my 2nd degree in engineering, when the job market tanked, I applied to a company called OMRON. What was the position I was applying for? Well, they were only hiring technicians. So, I was applying to be a technician instead of an engineer. I passed all their interviews with flying colors. That and I got years of experience working in the field before I went back to get my second degree. Anyway, after a couple interviews, the big boss came in holding my resume. He said he was going to be upfront with me. They were interviewing another candidate who only had 2 year degree in a tech school. I was what he would call over-qualified. My resume scared him for 2 reasons: (1) because I was over-qualified, as soon as something more to my level comes up I will leave his company right away and (2) if he hired me he wouldn't know how to treat me.

So, I was feeling down for a couple weeks because they chose to hire some associates degree dude over me. Well, the big boss did tell me he was doing me a favor by not hiring me, because shortly after that I got a job as an honest to god research engineer.

Listen, you irresponsible dog owner, I'm glad it worked out for you but had you "dumbed down" your resume for that technician role, you may have gotten the job. The latter job opportunity would've came along regardless.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I don't know that you -need- to have previous experience doing those jobs but look at it this way, if you were the employer, wouldn't you rather hire someone with previous work experience in the same or similar role?
naw i'd want to help people and at the same time have a successfull business, i would not mind training inexperienced candidates, c'mon, seriously, jobs in retail, fast-food, customer-service that pay 8-10 bucks an hour, such as Home Depot, Walmart, Target, OSH, McDonalds, Burger King, and Grocery Stores, even they are extremely god damn picky on who they hire

Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Quote:
naw i'd want to help people and at the same time have a successfull business, i would not mind training inexperienced candidates, c'mon, seriously, jobs in retail, fast-food, customer-service that pay 8-10 bucks an hour, such as Home Depot, Walmart, Target, OSH, McDonalds, Burger King, and Grocery Stores, even they are extremely god damn picky on who they hire
I almost don't blame people for sitting around collecting welfare. Fighting tooth and nail over jobs where you will be yelled at constantly by some halfway retarded "manager" just so you can come home without enough money to pay the bills vs. sitting around a trailer somewhere relaxing, collecting checks. It isn't right, but I can see why people do it.

I was at a McDonald's once and this moron was yelling at all of the people working there, and the poor kid working the cash register looked absolutely miserable. I almost wanted to watch one of them to flip out on her and tell her where she could stick it. I'd go on welfare before I would put up with that kind of living hell.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Of course you wouldn't "mind" it ... but if why do it if you didn't have to. You've got to see it from the employer's point of view and that will give you clues on how to avail yourself or how you can be valuable to your potential employer.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 AM

48 posts, read 87,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I almost don't blame people for sitting around collecting welfare. Fighting tooth and nail over jobs where you will be yelled at constantly by some halfway retarded "manager" just so you can come home without enough money to pay the bills vs. sitting around a trailer somewhere relaxing, collecting checks. It isn't right, but I can see why people do it.

I was at a McDonald's once and this moron was yelling at all of the people working there, and the poor kid working the cash register looked absolutely miserable. I almost wanted to watch one of them to flip out on her and tell her where she could stick it. I'd go on welfare before I would put up with that kind of living hell.
There are 2 types of managers: those who are there to manage to get the job done and those who are clueless.

The thing about managers is they have to have respect from their workers for their job to make sense. Good managers earn the respect. Bad managers force the respect. The clueless managers certainly can't earn respect. So, they force it by yelling.

The thing is companies that are retail love to hire fresh out of highschool kids as co-manager. Theyre cheap.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Of course you wouldn't "mind" it ... but if why do it if you didn't have to. You've got to see it from the employer's point of view and that will give you clues on how to avail yourself or how you can be valuable to your potential employer.
like i said before, hiring-managers, bosses are selfish greedy people who don't care about the consumer or their employees, only their money

Old 01-01-2013, 01:31 AM

827 posts, read 1,090,185 times
Quote:
like i said before, hiring-managers, bosses are selfish greedy people who don't care about the consumer or their employees, only their money

Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 AM

300 posts, read 1,137,046 times
You're best bet would be to apply for any job maybe retail? They'll hire almost anybody as long as you have an open availability (weekends, nights, etc) than you should good to go. Work there for about 1 year maybe than start applying to higher jobs or maybe they might keep you and promote you to manager who knows. Good luck =).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment