Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,293,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
True. Can you imagine what the market could be for a cat pooper scooper? I can't believe the number of people that refuse to clean their own litterbox - it's absurd. The longer they wait, the worse it's going to be! and the less the cat is going to want to go there.
I have absolutely no idea how often anyone cleans their cat's litter box. I doubt you know the litter box habits of a large number of people.

~~~~

I wonder where some of you would draw the line. Hiring a pooper scooper is over the top, but hiring a gardener isn't? A once-a-month house cleaner? A handyman? Do you eat at restaurants, or is that "unnecessary?" Car maintenance? None of it is necessary, but all of it are services that are provided. I googled and found multiple poop scooping businesses. Obviously there is a demand.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
We do all those ourselves, but this is more akin to hiring someone to change your babies diaper - cause you find that job icky and demeaning.
Where did the OP say the reason he wants to hire someone is because scooping poop is icky and demeaning? I read that it was a lack of time. That's the same reason people hire gardeners and house cleaners.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:24 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,604,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Did you even bother to ask 'why' she needs help w/this? She has 4 dogs so apparently they've been picking it up quite reqularly until now...maybe an accident, maybe a broken leg...maybe something that's nobody elses business and she was looking for constructive help...
Get off their back already....
Koale
Why make assumptions like she's handicapped?
Everybody is jumping on Burke, take your own advice. We don't all have to agree with the collective, I like people that think for themselves. It's just not the way to win a popularity contest. Burke is looking at it as a basic responsibility that goes with dog ownership. I agree with her/him. It's a reflection of a world where people are so helpless, they can't cook, they can't balance a checkbook, they can't make a decision without asking advice from others, they can't take care of their own business, yet take on the responsibility of a dependent, and they can't think for themselves. All you people are speaking with the same voice, and you're all choosing to be offended - for whatever reason. KA sounds like the only responsible adult in the room. She is not the problem here.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I have absolutely no idea how often anyone cleans their cat's litter box. I doubt you know the litter box habits of a large number of people.

~~~~

I wonder where some of you would draw the line. Hiring a pooper scooper is over the top, but hiring a gardener isn't? A once-a-month house cleaner? A handyman? Do you eat at restaurants, or is that "unnecessary?" Car maintenance? None of it is necessary, but all of it are services that are provided. I googled and found multiple poop scooping businesses. Obviously there is a demand.
Why have a garden if you don't know how to maintain it.
Man you people are going to be so helpless when the money stops flowing thru your hands. When I was young, babysitting and housecleaning were great jobs, everybody did that as a teenager, but it's a lot more dangerous world out there, and I am quite proficient at a budget and taking care of my own business and my dependents.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Why make assumptions like she's handicapped?
Everybody is jumping on Burke, take your own advice. We don't all have to agree with the collective, I like people that think for themselves. It's just not the way to win a popularity contest. Burke is looking at it as a basic responsibility that goes with dog ownership. I agree with her/him. It's a reflection of a world where people are so helpless, they can't cook, they can't balance a checkbook, they can't make a decision without asking advice from others, they can't take care of their own business, yet take on the responsibility of a dependent, and they can't think for themselves. All you people are speaking with the same voice, and you're all choosing to be offended - for whatever reason. KA sounds like the only responsible adult in the room. She is not the problem here.
No, a responsible adult makes sure the job gets done whether they do it themselves or make sure someone else does it. Irresponsible would mean not getting it done at all.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Where did the OP say the reason he wants to hire someone is because scooping poop is icky and demeaning? I read that it was a lack of time. That's the same reason people hire gardeners and house cleaners.
Pets require time and effort - get a stuffed one if you haven't the time. Soon there will be robotic dogs, sounds like there will be a big market waiting for them. Then you can attend to what's more important, like laundry, or are you too busy for that too? Pets are not a chore, or they shouldn't be.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Why have a garden if you don't know how to maintain it.
Man you people are going to be so helpless when the money stops flowing thru your hands. When I was young, babysitting and housecleaning were great jobs, everybody did that as a teenager, but it's a lot more dangerous world out there, and I am quite proficient at a budget and taking care of my own business and my dependents.
Hiring help doesn't mean you don't know how to do something. A lot of assumptions being made here. I know how to clean toilets. I pay a house cleaner because I'd rather spend my weekends with my kids. That doesn't make me helpless or irresponsible. It makes me a mom with priorities. Why have a garden? I don't have a garden, I have a yard so I have space between me and my neighbors, and so my kids have space to play. I don't have a yard service though. I am also quite proficient at keeping a budget and taking care of my family.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Pets require time and effort - get a stuffed one if you haven't the time. Soon there will be robotic dogs, sounds like there will be a big market waiting for them. Then you can attend to what's more important, like laundry, or are you too busy for that too? Pets are not a chore, or they shouldn't be.
The OP already has dogs. Should he get rid of them instead of paying a pooper scooper? I personally believe a pet is a life time commitment. You don't just take them to the shelter because you don't have time to scoop poop. There are services to help with that.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned
A lot of things seem like a big waste of money to me, but people do them all the time. If the OP has the money, but not the time, that's his business not yours, as long as the poop gets picked up.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 12-30-2012 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned portion of post

Old 12-30-2012, 02:41 AM

48 posts, read 87,275 times
To clear some things up, first of all I'm a guy. I'm not handicapped nor have I been been recently injured.

And up till this winter, I've been regularly picking up the poop. But obviously, winter months with outside being covered by snow and ice most of the time has made it impossible to hunt down the poops and pick them up. My neighbor and I always had spring poop picking days where we'd be BSing with each other while we pick up what our pets have left behind all winter. He's got 3 big dogs and I got 4 little dogs.

Obviously, we're still in the winter months, so I'm not looking for any immediate help. Why? The ground is still frozen and it's covered by snow. If anyone wants to go around digging through the snow and ice to find the poop, I'm willing to pay $1k for it.

Anyway, a few months ago I started a business and holy cow it's been going strong and successful. It's earning me an income that is almost 3 times what I was making before. But like all other businesses started by middle classers, the business requires a lot of my time. And since I don't have a secretary, I have to do all the secretary stuff as well.

I used to change my own car oil. But lately, I'm finding it hard to have the time to do it myself. Rather than spend an hour to do such a trivial task, I could pay someone $30 to do the job in 15 and I can use the time I saved to earn extra cash. Again, the more time I spend on my business, the more money I earn.

So, back to the poop scooping thing. When spring comes will I have the time to go around picking up all the poop or can I just pay someone a reasonable sum of money to remove the winter poop build up for me? The time I save I could spend on my business, which would earn me several times that I have to pay for the poop scooping.

I love my dogs. I tell all the guys I date this. I'll do anything you want me to. I'll change the parts of me that you don't like. I'll even move if you don't like the area I live in. But the dogs stay. No compromise. If you ever force me to choose between you and the dogs, I will choose the dogs, so don't ever make me choose.

Added by edit.

I'm taking the dogs out to an off leash dog park tomorrow. I regularly take them there and walk around for a couple hours. Best place to socialize them with other dogs and people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment