Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:57 AM

23,180 posts, read 26,326,518 times

Advertisements

Why would you waste 3 seconds defending yourself against the absurd
opinion of KABurke?
Hiring people do do work you want or need done makes for our economy.
Do we assume KABurke also never goes out to eat....why do that when you 'should' cook yourself?
Buy premade cookies,jams?
Send kids to school instead of homeschooling?
Buy kids clothes instead of sewing ?
Not worth arguing with.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 AM

30,528 posts, read 23,956,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Then maybe the OP should have thought a little harder before they decided to get a dog, let alone multiple dogs, that owning a pet requires a dedication of a certain amount of time and that time doesn't just consist of feeding and playtime. Bathing, brushing and vet care is included along with the yuck job of picking up poop.

BTW...I will check out what you have posted that's been directed toward me because apparently, I'm the "bad guy" in this thread.... Not that I'll lose any sleep over that!
You're not the "bad guy" in this thread, KA.

I fail to understand why some are so offended over your opinion...unless the truth is a little too close to home and stings.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:05 AM

9,378 posts, read 14,272,676 times
The problem that most of the posters have on this thread is that they consider dog poop to be disgusting, so they imagine that it is a demeaning job, and it further demeans a person who is hired to take care of it. If one can get past this personal opinion, then hiring some one to do a task is just that: hiring someone to do a task. That is the American way. You have a job that needs doing and are willing to pay for it, someone offers to do the job, does it and gets paid. It is no different than any other job. The only problem is if it never gets done.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,293,450 times
Quote:
My husband washes the cars, changes the oil and does all the things that HE knows how to do. Anything beyond that is the mechanic's job. Are you REALLY comparing picking up your dog's poop to changing the oil in your car?

You're really making absurd comparisons.

If you can't take care of your pet yourself, and I'm talking about BASIC home care which includes cleaning up behind them because they "don't have the time", then they don't need a pet of any kind, not even a goldfish.

Only in an EMERGENCY would I depend on someone else to take care of my pets. The OP didn't sound like getting the poop picked up was a life or death situation.

You're making absurd comparisons again. A pet is a living, breathing creature that depends on YOU to take care of him. Your house won't get sick or die if you don't vaccum the floor once a week.
Who made you queen of deciding what kind of jobs are ok to hire out and what jobs are not? Poop scooping businesses exist so I could just as easily say "that's the scooper's job" as you find certain types of car care to be "the mechanic's job." I don't think any of my comparisons to be absurd. All of it is some type of home care that a lot of people hire others to do. My kids track dirt in and pee all over the bathroom. while I do in between cleaning, I also have a company clean the house every other week. Is that ridiculous too? I mean, my kids are the ones making the mess. Maybe I should have thought about whether or not I'd have time to clean the bathrooms before I had kids 9 years ago. Since circumstances have changed and I am now back at work (like the OP's circumstances changed when he started a business) maybe I should just get rid of the kids since I don't have time to clean the bathroom any more.

Do you think the dogs know or care if it is the owner picking up the poop or someone else, as long as it is getting done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Why would you waste 3 seconds defending yourself against the absurd
opinion of KABurke?
Hiring people do do work you want or need done makes for our economy.
Do we assume KABurke also never goes out to eat....why do that when you 'should' cook yourself?
Buy premade cookies,jams?
Send kids to school instead of homeschooling?
Buy kids clothes instead of sewing ?
Not worth arguing with.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:07 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,282,835 times
Don't buy a house if you can't do the lawn work. Don't have a kid if can't be with them 24/7. Don't buy a car if you can't do normal maintenance.

Oh wait, I don't do those so they are OK.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
My vote goes to the latter.

I agree with this to a point. What I can't seem to wrap my head around is why some people get a dog, but refuse to deal with the "refuse" the dog produces. We even clean our own horses' stalls. Even though we could hire someone for $5 an hour to do this, we don't feel it's such an imposition to take care of our horses and dogs because they love us unconditionally, but seems like some people love their animals with a condition -- "I love you, but I won't clean up after you."
I don't understand why this bothers you so much, especially after the OP explained that his circumstances had changed. Do you feel this way about people who hire babysitters?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:32 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,217,046 times
many people may not have the desire to scoop poop-It's the person's choice. There are many things you could do but, if you can afford it, pay someone to do it for you. Many people pay people to clean their houses, cut lawns, etc. There is a local company where I live that even has a series of company vehicles around town, "doody" something so it must be a needed service. I don't think this in any way indicates a poor pet owner. Poor pet owners walk their dogs and leave the mess for others to clean up or step in. If you have the money and would rather spend that time playing with your kids or something more fun, why not?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 AM

5,830 posts, read 7,769,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
Looking to hire someone who will pick up dog poop in my yard. Got 4 dogs. How do I find one in my area?
There are a number of businesses that do this work in Minneapolis. It's not considered a sign of being a bad pet owner or anything, and is no different than hiring someone to clean your windows, for example. Apparently, it is not common in every part of the country. I think you might have more luck posting this in your local forum.

Last edited by Glenfield; 12-30-2012 at 09:47 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Again, you're comparing apples and oranges. You're comparing a child to a pet. A babysitter comes in for a couple of hours to watch your children while you're out. Then, when you come back, you take over again -- changing diapers, feeding, bathing, etc. The OP was asking for someone to come to his house on a regular basis just to pick up their dogs' poop because they're either too lazy to do it themselves or for whatever reason, let it get out of hand and there are mountains of poop in their yard and they need someone to come in and backhoe it out.

True story -- when I was showing dogs actively in the 80's, I would go to the dog shows with my "mentor" and she had (at that time) around 12 - 15 grown Collies. She picked up after EVERY ONE of those dogs HERSELF every day. I'd help her whenever I was there, but for the most part, she did it herself because they were HER DOGS and HER RESPONSIBILITY. I suppose that's why I have this mindset.
I figured there was a reason.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,033,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Craigslist.
Personals.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment