Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 PM

398 posts, read 1,366,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Not where I live. There are a lot of people in their 20s with children.
Talking about "your" town doesn't make you informed if "your" town is not representative of the general population of young and old.
In developed western and Asian countries - Most "Older" people are more likely have children to support going to high school and college... thus more financial responsibilities. Most middle class, young college educated people who are just starting out on their careers and recent graduates do not have kids with family living expenses equivalent to a 40+ person ... statistics would show primarily low income and less educated people having many children at earlier ages. So most of them would only qualify for low income jobs and not the "higher" paid jobs being referenced in this thread.

In the U.S. Most middle class, college educated people's expenses increase as they get older as they are in mid - late career stages and then have larger families to support. But as I've stated previously, they don't deserve the jobs because they are older with more expenses, most of them will have more experience, so there should be no outrage when meritocracy is used in the hiring practice.

Quote:
I don't know why people keep putting words in my mouth. I never said youth trumps experience or anything close to it. I didn't even imply it. Even though older workers are more likely to be more experienced, it is possible for a 28 year who has been working in a bank for 8 years to be more experienced than a 50 year old who has never worked in a bank.
Lol, the article in the original post refers to recent college grads not getting jobs over 55 year olds... so your "very experienced" 28 year old is not even part of that statistical group that is not being hired.

Who is debating that "some" 28 year olds have more experience than someone older?
Younger applicants with more experience than older ones are hardly a discriminated class.
An older person with less experience on his resume than those who are younger is royally screwed in the job market.

A 28 year old with more experience on their resume will be hired over a less experienced 50 year old most of the time.
A 28 year old with EQUAL experience to 50 yo person will still have an overwhelming advantage.

The superior credentials on a resume will make any applicant "appear older" with their experience, thus the "youthfulness" of the applicant in person will not be a negative factor. But an older applicant might still be discriminated against if they think an older person will have higher salary expectations.

I happen to be 34 year old with more advanced technical experience than many in their 40's, that's why I got hired.
There's no advantage making myself seem older on my resume... my greater experience at a younger age makes me sound like a prodigy.

Last edited by raymond2; 01-06-2013 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,428,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Thank you for the excellent insider's job tip! I had no idea that security companies were actively recruiting grandmothers. Do you think they'll let me have a gun? I REALLY hate having to beat up people with my cane. It can get so messy.
My family is from an area in Europe that really got clobbered during WWII.

My mother told me the tale of my great-grandmother being grateful for a job as a night watchman during the post war years. All of the men were away at war. There was simply no food. The night watchman job involved quite a few encounters with desperate people.

Just sayin', don't underestimate the power of a cane wielded in the right hands, lol!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,960,355 times
Quote:
You can be sarcastic all you want, but these people are employed.
Thank you for signing my sarcasm permission form. Unfortunately, it didn't arrive in time for them to let me get on the bus with the other kids. So...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming

There are a couple of things you may wish to consider when giving the benefit of your wisdom to complete strangers on the Internet:

A. Posting in what others may perceive as a demeaning manner may not get you unabashed replies of agreement.

B. Making assumptions about a complete stranger on the Internet may not always be a good idea.

from your previous post:

Quote:
You know, security companies are always hiring in most places. I worked in this industry for years. Every time a long-term unemployed person tells me they can't find work, I mention that security companies have plenty of openings and they hire just about anyone. Do you know what everyone does? They change the subject and ignore what I have to say. Security is either beneath them or they think it's too dangerous. The truth that few people seem to know is that most construction jobs are even more dangerous.
I am not surprised that you felt the need to defend your security job suggestion before I or anyone else had a chance to reply. Apparently, the job was a comfortable fit for you, at least at the time. And, apparently, others you gave this suggestion to felt it would not work for them. Security IS a dangerous job. Construction jobs can be dangerous, too, but what does that that have to do with anything? Did you somehow get the impression that I'm holding out for a job framing roofs? No?

Anyhow, been there, done that, and I threw out the T-shirt.

I don't blame ANYONE from 21 to 81 who would think twice about a job that involves breaking up fights in the parking lot between two drunks - both male, both young and strong. I wouldn't blame ANYONE for thinking twice about a job that requires stopping yet another young, strong man, high on God's knows what, from attempting to break into the building through a window in the utility room. I wouldn't blame ANYONE for thinking twice about a job which requires you to keep large amounts of cash stashed in an old wood cash box right on the front counter and - guess what? Everyone knows about the cash box and everyone knows that you are the only one there late at night. You don't even get to lock the front door and God knows who may wander in? And if they don't like strolling through the front door, there's always those windows where people could and did cut the screens, break the glass and get in the back way off of a pitch dark black alley. Etc., etc., etc.

The local cops and I became new BFF's within a month of me starting that job.

But then, I don't have to tell YOU because you "worked in the industry for years."

Quote:
Are you unemployed? It's ironic how you're trying to berate me on my "lack of flexibility" and I'm employed! It looks like I'm not the one who doesn't know how to look for a job and "take anything."
Well, I only got to work that job for the last two years and then I got laid off from my minimum wage dream employment through no fault of my own because the owner sold the business.

Otherwise, I'd be there tonight explaining to some street person that they needed to leave and the shelter's that away instead of wasting my time on the Internet responding to some stranger who implies she's better than me because she got the job she wanted 9 month's after graduation, and I'm some old bat who can't even find a job in an isolated, rural community with an unemployment rate of 20%. Anyone else could, so what's wrong with me?

And this all proves the contention that old people get all the jobs.

Come to think of it, maybe we should.

I'll thank you to spare me from any further judgements you may make of either me or my situation.

Sincerely yours, etc.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 01-07-2013 at 12:45 AM..

Old 01-07-2013, 12:27 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,553,122 times
Well employers won't need to worry about providing BC for those over a certain age. I'd say that is a big deal for them.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 AM

9,482 posts, read 10,841,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Let me see...these could be a "few" of the issues:

they can read, actually make change, and tend to have morals

show up for work on time

work ethic

ability to think and find something to do vs standing around stating "no one told me to"

WILLINGNESS to work if they can find a job in this economy, because they KNOW that it is difficult and to be grateful for what you can get

Case in point (and I am a professional, a nurse)...I work harder, stay when needed, do what it takes, see an issue and am willing to think to find a solultion and fix it, and have been recognized by my employer as someone that they can rely on. When I call in sick, they KNOW it is because I am sick. Not hungover, tired or just "not wanting to go in today"....I am the OLDEST person where I work except for 1 other, and she is the same as me. Everyone else is WELL under 40 and "call in when hungover, tired or just not "into it today", have to be monitored for how long a lunch hour they take, straggle in " late because of, traffic, accident, gate, fill in the blank", and while they do everything they are TOLD to do, refuse to look around and say "hey, let ME figure out someting to do with this down time". I understand I am referring to MY work place, but I see a lot of "well you didn't tell me you wanted" vs "let me be proactive" in a LOT of the younger folks.

SERIOUSLY, I have gone thru a drive thru window and handed them a $20 + 4 cents for something costing $16.54 and they look at me like "WTH, $20 covers it, what are these pennies about". As well, I have, at the age of 58, carried in supplies and things that are in huge boxes, while the younger MALE staff just watch!!!! SERIOUSLY, you are ok with someone your GRANDMA'S age carrying this, but do not offer to help out????

Maybe, just MAYBE those folks willing to hire older folks have dealt with some of those same issues.

The other thing that "frost my A$$ at work" are when you are asked to do something, the two of us close to 60 jump to it...others say "sure,
I'll get to it" and often dont using the excuse "Oh yeah, I forgot".

Less than 2 yrs from full retirement with a retirement/SSAN income more than I bring home now...but until then I willingly get up at 3am and ensure I am at work at LEAST 15 minutes early (because if you are not early, you are LATE) and am grateful for the fact my employer and boss have so much faith in me they rely on my work, do not micromanage me (because they are not required to) and APPRECIATE the work I do!
I cant help but to respond to this. First ill say Im not of the generation you speak of, I am in my early 40s and have plenty of life experience and work experience. I am however young enough to have lived my life with less opportunity, too young to have "boomer privelage" (see my previous post). My generation has lived in the shadow of boomers all our lives, we have seen how you have lived and experienced your generations values. You make it sound like boomers have a history of good work ethic, better education and of all things better morals. Ill start with the morals, well really??? remember "peace, love,dope???" remeber the burning bras?, remember the disco drugged out 70s?? all the divorces?, sexual immorality?? Oh and when your generation decided they were not going to save the world anymore it went on a 30 year self indulgent binge that continues to this day. The baby boom generation is the most self centered greedy generation in WORLD history. Also boomers are NOT better educated than todays millenials whom you are attacking. On the contrary they are much more educated than the high school educated boomer. Do todays 20 somethings have issues?? yes they do, but not as many issues as the boomers had at that age. Your generation almost tore this nation apart in the 60s and 70s. Thier most serious issues have to do with overdependence on technology, and some of the modern morality that ironically your generation taught them. Your post seems to gloat in the fact that younger generations are economically doomed, while your generation has lived high on the hog your entire lives. That speaks volumes about the attitude problem boomers have, and why the boomers are so resented today. You may not care about that, but heres a fact for you to chew on. When this nation is filled with 10 dollar an hour wonders who dont own homes, dont own stocks and dont buy things what do you think will continue to support your generation in its old age?? Tax revenue will drop, social security will collapse and the companies you worked for will disapear along with your pensions. Your homes will loose thier value, and what should horrify you most of all is the fact that your own children and grandchildren will also suffer. They will have a much diminished quality of life compared to what you had. I dont resent what you boomers had, but I do take offense to the attitude of "I got mine" that we hear from people your age all the time. Most boomers I meet dont even understand why they have it. Most honestly believe the nonesense I heard preached in this post about deserving it because of boomer "work ethic" or "education" Here is an education for you, the boomer generation only got lucky by being born at the right time. The US won the 2nd world war, and the rest of the worlds industry was destroyed by that war. Ours was not and it cranked out cars, steel, agricultural goods and everything else you can think of for the entire world. Our nation became rich in the aftermath of that war and we dominated the world economy from the 1940s through the 1980s. The boomers came of age during the prime time of the post war boom. Jobs were so plentiful that anyone could get these jobs with nothing more than high school or even less. The baby boom generation did nothing more to deserve thier wealth than be in the right place at the right time. Now if you want a generation to look at who truly had the tough work ethic, and a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality then its the one who went through the depression and the world war. That generation I respesct greatly. The boomers not so much, thier history speaks for itself. As a gen Xer I have watched them all my life and what I have seen is largely not good.

Last edited by danielj72; 01-07-2013 at 01:03 AM..

Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 AM

Could you go back and put in a few paragraphs? Seriously, if you can still edit it. It shows up on the screen as a solid wall of print, making it difficult to read for everyone young or old.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 AM

398 posts, read 1,366,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I cant help but to respond to this. First ill say Im not of the generation you speak of, I am in my early 40s and have plenty of life experience and work experience. I am however young enough to have lived my life with less opportunity, too young to have "boomer privelage" (see my previous post).

The original post refers to an article blaming 55 year olds for getting jobs that recent college grads want... the early 20-somethings.
Blaming 55 year olds is as close to blaming your generation of over 40 for recent college grads not finding higher paying "entry" level jobs today. If Paka is 55 and you are 43 - 44? You are not really that far apart in age.

Point is that, I don't think he was saying people over 40 are lazier than his generation or that someone over 40 doesn't have enough work experience. Someone over 40 would have enough work experience to take a job away from a 55 year old and push him into early retirement in today's economy.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I cant help but to respond to this. First ill say Im not of the generation you speak of, I am in my early 40s and have plenty of life experience and work experience. I am however young enough to have lived my life with less opportunity, too young to have "boomer privelage" (see my previous post). My generation has lived in the shadow of boomers all our lives, we have seen how you have lived and experienced your generations values.

You make it sound like boomers have a history of good work ethic, better education and of all things better morals. Ill start with the morals, well really??? remember "peace, love,dope???" remeber the burning bras?, remember the disco drugged out 70s?? all the divorces?, sexual immorality?? Oh and when your generation decided they were not going to save the world anymore it went on a 30 year self indulgent binge that continues to this day.

The baby boom generation is the most self centered greedy generation in WORLD history. Also boomers are NOT better educated than todays millenials whom you are attacking. On the contrary they are much more educated than the high school educated boomer. Do todays 20 somethings have issues?? yes they do, but not as many issues as the boomers had at that age. Your generation almost tore this nation apart in the 60s and 70s. Thier most serious issues have to do with overdependence on technology, and some of the modern morality that ironically your generation taught them.

Your post seems to gloat in the fact that younger generations are economically doomed, while your generation has lived high on the hog your entire lives. That speaks volumes about the attitude problem boomers have, and why the boomers are so resented today. You may not care about that, but heres a fact for you to chew on. When this nation is filled with 10 dollar an hour wonders who dont own homes, dont own stocks and dont buy things what do you think will continue to support your generation in its old age??

Tax revenue will drop, social security will collapse and the companies you worked for will disapear along with your pensions. Your homes will loose thier value, and what should horrify you most of all is the fact that your own children and grandchildren will also suffer. They will have a much diminished quality of life compared to what you had. I dont resent what you boomers had, but I do take offense to the attitude of "I got mine" that we hear from people your age all the time. Most boomers I meet dont even understand why they have it.

Most honestly believe the nonesense I heard preached in this post about deserving it because of boomer "work ethic" or "education" Here is an education for you, the boomer generation only got lucky by being born at the right time. The US won the 2nd world war, and the rest of the worlds industry was destroyed by that war. Ours was not and it cranked out cars, steel, agricultural goods and everything else you can think of for the entire world. Our nation became rich in the aftermath of that war and we dominated the world economy from the 1940s through the 1980s.

The boomers came of age during the prime time of the post war boom. Jobs were so plentiful that anyone could get these jobs with nothing more than high school or even less. The baby boom generation did nothing more to deserve thier wealth than be in the right place at the right time. Now if you want a generation to look at who truly had the tough work ethic, and a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality then its the one who went through the depression and the world war. That generation I respesct greatly. The boomers not so much, thier history speaks for itself. As a gen Xer I have watched them all my life and what I have seen is largely not good.
Fixed your post for you - the formatting that is.

Your post is filled with anger and resentment. And while some of your statements are correct, many of them are wrong. I am sorry that you are enduring such incredible bitterness. It must be unpleasant and emotionally exhausting.

It would be foolish to of me to attempt any further reply.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 01-07-2013 at 02:38 AM..

Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 AM

5,652 posts, read 7,003,924 times
I must have missed the part where it mentioned what types of jobs these 55+ people are getting. I have a feeling they're not very good.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM

9,482 posts, read 10,841,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
The original post refers to an article blaming 55 year olds for getting jobs that recent college grads want... the early 20-somethings.
Blaming 55 year olds is as close to blaming your generation of over 40 for recent college grads not finding higher paying "entry" level jobs today. If Paka is 55 and you are 43 - 44? You are not really that far apart in age.

Point is that, I don't think he was saying people over 40 are lazier than his generation or that someone over 40 doesn't have enough work experience. Someone over 40 would have enough work experience to take a job away from a 55 year old and push him into early retirement in today's economy.

Your correct, I strayed from the originol post. I was responding to some posts in here that suggested that baby boomer employees are higher quality employees that are better educated and better workers than the young millenials are. I know I really unleashed on them, but ive heard this argument one two many times from people that age. I dont agree with them, and that is what the post is about. One thing I think we can all agree on is the fact that if you dont have a good job now, no matter what age you are your in trouble. Good jobs are a thing of the past, pensions are a thing of the past, stability a thing of the past. Thank the politicians who signed free trade agreements, the American dream was offshored to China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment