Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,463 times

Advertisements

This is why I keep saying that the younger, college degreed people are suffering the most. We aren't getting a return on our investment and regardless of what people say, most of my counterparts are not lazy, entitled, or worthless degree having brats. The economy is so messed up they don't want to train anybody, they just want to cut to the chase and hire somebody who knows it all already.

How is somebody in their 20's suppose to get started and live the life most baby boomers got to experience if everything is going to those who already had/have it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I must have missed the part where it mentioned what types of jobs these 55+ people are getting. I have a feeling they're not very good.
It's only a measure of currently employed people. It's just a measure of currently employed people. When the market crashed, many people were forced to push out retirement.

Before the recession, there was more labor mobility. Everybody would move up, it would open up the entry level jobs. If a senior employee retired, then another employee would move up to take that spot. It would leave room for a new hire.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Old people aren't tech savvy. That's why they have a hard time getting jobs. They probably shouldn't drive either.

Look, ma, I can generalize, too!
Not to mention most of them I know don't like to change nor want to be flexible. A lot of them are set in their ways which makes it complicated for coworkers AND employers...I've had an employer tell me that before. Those with a lot of job experience tend to be more inflexible and stubborn and don't like change. At least it weeds it out for folks like me.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I cant help but to respond to this. First ill say Im not of the generation you speak of, I am in my early 40s and have plenty of life experience and work experience. I am however young enough to have lived my life with less opportunity, too young to have "boomer privelage" (see my previous post). My generation has lived in the shadow of boomers all our lives, we have seen how you have lived and experienced your generations values. You make it sound like boomers have a history of good work ethic, better education and of all things better morals. Ill start with the morals, well really??? remember "peace, love,dope???" remeber the burning bras?, remember the disco drugged out 70s?? all the divorces?, sexual immorality?? Oh and when your generation decided they were not going to save the world anymore it went on a 30 year self indulgent binge that continues to this day. The baby boom generation is the most self centered greedy generation in WORLD history. Also boomers are NOT better educated than todays millenials whom you are attacking. On the contrary they are much more educated than the high school educated boomer. Do todays 20 somethings have issues?? yes they do, but not as many issues as the boomers had at that age. Your generation almost tore this nation apart in the 60s and 70s. Thier most serious issues have to do with overdependence on technology, and some of the modern morality that ironically your generation taught them. Your post seems to gloat in the fact that younger generations are economically doomed, while your generation has lived high on the hog your entire lives. That speaks volumes about the attitude problem boomers have, and why the boomers are so resented today. You may not care about that, but heres a fact for you to chew on. When this nation is filled with 10 dollar an hour wonders who dont own homes, dont own stocks and dont buy things what do you think will continue to support your generation in its old age?? Tax revenue will drop, social security will collapse and the companies you worked for will disapear along with your pensions. Your homes will loose thier value, and what should horrify you most of all is the fact that your own children and grandchildren will also suffer. They will have a much diminished quality of life compared to what you had. I dont resent what you boomers had, but I do take offense to the attitude of "I got mine" that we hear from people your age all the time. Most boomers I meet dont even understand why they have it. Most honestly believe the nonesense I heard preached in this post about deserving it because of boomer "work ethic" or "education" Here is an education for you, the boomer generation only got lucky by being born at the right time. The US won the 2nd world war, and the rest of the worlds industry was destroyed by that war. Ours was not and it cranked out cars, steel, agricultural goods and everything else you can think of for the entire world. Our nation became rich in the aftermath of that war and we dominated the world economy from the 1940s through the 1980s. The boomers came of age during the prime time of the post war boom. Jobs were so plentiful that anyone could get these jobs with nothing more than high school or even less. The baby boom generation did nothing more to deserve thier wealth than be in the right place at the right time. Now if you want a generation to look at who truly had the tough work ethic, and a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality then its the one who went through the depression and the world war. That generation I respesct greatly. The boomers not so much, thier history speaks for itself. As a gen Xer I have watched them all my life and what I have seen is largely not good.
This post pretty much summed up what ever Generation Xer and Yer is trying to say. You did a excellent job breaking it down for the older folks, but they'll never get it. Remember we have it "easier" and we are "entitled punks"? lol

Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Could you go back and put in a few paragraphs? Seriously, if you can still edit it. It shows up on the screen as a solid wall of print, making it difficult to read for everyone young or old.

Thanks
You're using that as an personal attack instead of actually reading it. The post makes a lot of sense, no paragraphs or not. Don't deflect off the problem.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
This is why I keep saying that the younger, college degreed people are suffering the most. We aren't getting a return on our investment and regardless of what people say, most of my counterparts are not lazy, entitled, or worthless degree having brats. The economy is so messed up they don't want to train anybody, they just want to cut to the chase and hire somebody who knows it all already.

How is somebody in their 20's suppose to get started and live the life most baby boomers got to experience if everything is going to those who already had/have it?
Many people here seem to want to turn hard economic times into a generational fight. IMHO the article cited in the OP (not attacking the OP himself) was nothing more than political propaganda written by an individual who obviously had his own agenda and decided to vent his spleen on his blog and share it with the masses out there on the Internet. As others have posted at the beginning of this thread, the "facts" presented were incorrect or at best, misrepresented. If the blogger hoped to stir up resentment and animousity (and I think he did), I'm sure he'd be pleased with many of the posts in this thread.

I DO happen to think that young people today, ESPECIALLY college grads in their 20's and early 30's have a more difficult time. The cost of college tuition has sky-rocketed and many recent college grads are burdened with loan repayments that are much higher than the educational debt shouldered by previous generations. Add that to the fact that recent grads are trying to gain entrance into the job market during the worst economic recession since the depression era 30's, and it's no wonder 20 somethings are frustrated and pessimistic.

People post from different parts of the country; they may or may not have a college degree; those who do have degrees got them in different fields; some people have work experience and others not so much. With a few notable exceptions there's no reason to invalidate what someone posts about their individual circumstances.

I did a little research on the Internet and here's what I found from two REPUTABLE sources - Forbes Magazine and The National Association of Colleges and Employers:

Quote:
According to a new survey of salaries, the overall average salary for the Class of 2012 ticked up by 1.7% to $44,259 from the average of $43,521 earned by the Class of 2011:

In September 2012, the unemployment rate for new college graduates—defined as college graduates ages 20 to 24—fell to 6.3 percent from 8.3 percent in September 2011 and 9.4 percent in September 2010.
The older generation is not out there scheming to take away jobs from young workers. The vast majority of boomers are looking toward retirement and worrying about medical care. That doesn't leave much time to plot against our children and grandchildren in an attempt to destroy their futures - even if we wanted to do such a thing. And despite what danj72 may think, we have no desire to impose some unpleasant existance upon our young. We want you to succeed and live good lives and give us grandchildren to spoil, nothing more.

The end of the world has been post-poned, pending further developments.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 01-07-2013 at 03:46 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
Quote:
Could you go back and put in a few paragraphs? Seriously, if you can still edit it. It shows up on the screen as a solid wall of print, making it difficult to read for everyone young or old.

Thanks
SERIOUSLY!!!

No I don't gloat that there is a "lost generation"...I am dismayed that this is the FIRST generation that worries that our children and grandchildren will probably NOT have it as good as we did. HOWEVER, our kids were taught work ethic. They adapt, they press ahead, they realize there are 24 hours in the day and it is up to YOU to say they were good or miserable....YOU and ONLY YOU have control over that!!

I am just sick and tired of "I lived with mommy and daddy all thru college" and now can't get the job I am "worthy" of whining by SOME! OTHERS go out and do. Believe it or not, most the folks my age that we associate with have very succssful kids (as do we!) who do what it takes to make things happen.

They say you are a product of your environment...think about it. You surround yourself with whiners, you can find "issues"...you have FAR too much time on your hands when you have time to sit on the internet and WHINE about things...people in other countries (like those we adopted 5 of our children from) WISH they had your time to whine....but they are busy busting their A$$ to make enough money to feed their family today. That is the problem with the "I am so entitled" generation....

When you can not make change "and OMG how many times has that happened to ANYONE reading this thread...HONESTLY!" When you go thru a drive thru and they tell you "we don't have large, we only have supersized", and when they honestly can not read and write properly because they were "socially promoted" there is an ISSUE. Not that it is "your" fault, because, of course, we can never wound anyone ego or self esteem. Hell, when I was in school a BIG RED "F" was a wake up call that you were not preforming at the expected level....now "unsat" is considered demoralizing to ones growth and development, so we should mark it "incomplete". A spade is a spade is a spade...doesn't matter what you call it.

I bet you my next paycheck that not ONE of you whining on this thread EVER saw a Red "F" on a paper in school, never got drug to the principals office for "the board of education meeting" and never had the deprived childhood most of us "grannies" did, and never had your backside warmed up by a belt...and again, I would not change places with you for all the tea in China...because THAT is what made us who we are....and some of us cared enough to raise our children with the same respect!

Last edited by Paka; 01-07-2013 at 04:34 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,972 times
Quote:
Many people here seem to want to turn hard economic times into a generational fight. IMHO the article cited in the OP (not attacking the OP himself) was nothing more than political propaganda written by an individual who obviously had his own agenda and decided to vent his spleen on his blog and share it with the masses out there on the Internet. As others have posted at the beginning of this thread, the "facts" presented were incorrect or at best, misrepresented. If the blogger hoped to stir up resentment and animousity (and I think he did), I'm sure he'd be pleased with many of the posts in this thread.

I DO happen to think that young people today, ESPECIALLY college grads in their 20's and early 30's have a more difficult time. The cost of college tuition has sky-rocketed and many recent college grads are burdened with loan repayments that are much higher than the educational debt shouldered by previous generations. Add that to the fact that recent grads are trying to gain entrance into the job market during the worst economic recession since the depression era 30's, and it's no wonder 20 somethings are frustrated and pessimistic.

People post from different parts of the country; they may or may not have a college degree; those who do have degrees got them in different fields; some people have work experience and others not so much. With a few notable exceptions there's no reason to invalidate what someone posts about their individual circumstances.

I did a little research on the Internet and here's what I found from two REPUTABLE sources - Forbes Magazine and The National Association of Colleges and Employers:

The older generation is not out there scheming to take away jobs from young workers. The vast majority of boomers are looking toward retirement and worrying about medical care. That doesn't leave much time to plot against our children and grandchildren in an attempt to destroy their futures - even if we wanted to do such a thing. And despite what danj72 may think, we have no desire to impose some unpleasant existance upon our young. We want you to succeed and live good lives and give us grandchildren to spoil, nothing more.

The end of the world has been post-poned, pending further developments.
This is actually a good post. And I agree, most older workers aren't out there trying to create obstacles for younger workers for pure joy. At least, that has been my experience. Most older workers I've worked with have helped me and seemed to be willing to help me get ahead. It's just frustrating when you read some posters (inaccurately) complain about how an entire generation doesn't do this or that, doesn't have the work ethic, is stupid, etc., and that's why they are failing.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
As part of Generation X, I find it silly to complain about the baby boomers. If you are unsuccessful in your career, they are a great source of information and experience on career progression.

Find somebody that you admire in the job you want. They have already been in your shoes, made the mistakes, and know what's effective. Take them out to lunch to anywhere they want. Pick their brains. They will be flattered that you are coming to them for career advice.

When you get a new job, then you can give them the good news.

One of the best things in my life was meeting baby boomers teaching job hunting skills. Four months later, I got a $25k raise in a new job.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
As part of Generation X, I find it silly to complain about the baby boomers. If you are unsuccessful in your career, they are a great source of information and experience on career progression.

Find somebody that you admire in the job you want. They have already been in your shoes, made the mistakes, and know what's effective. Take them out to lunch to anywhere they want. Pick their brains. They will be flattered that you are coming to them for career advice.

When you get a new job, then you can give them the good news.

One of the best things in my life was meeting baby boomers teaching job hunting skills. Four months later, I got a $25k raise in a new job.
EXACTLY!!! SOOOO many opportunities for those willling to learn...willing to figure out what it take to "make it happen"! EXCELLENT POST!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment