Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,489,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If 9 months is the average unemployment time for your graduating class, then your job hunting skills are average. In Texas, it may even be lower. Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, and all the counties in the Eagle Ford Shale are growing fast.

I had 2 other family members during the recession. One took a "vacation", then got a job within a month for nearly 6 figures. The other one had a job lined up for almost 6 figures in Energy, as soon as the first one ended. We are Gen Xers, so we have been stuck longer in this recession. I have been laid off twice and quit a job since 2007.. I have had 4 different jobs, but make over $80k now. The job search was great. The more experienced people provided great help with my resume and interview.

If you are planning on another career move, you need to improve the job hunt times to above average.
My degree and experience do not line up with any 6-figure jobs in the petroleum industry. For me to work in the energy industry, I would have to move. That's something I could not have done last year. Outside of Eagle Ford Shale, South Texas is not known for having a plethora of high-paying jobs. Texas might have a relatively low unemployment rate, but Texas is also tied with Mississippi for having the highest percentage of people working for minimum wage or less. By the way, I was not unemployed. It took me 9 months to find a better paying job. The average is 6 months to a year for graduates to find a professional job. The oldest people in Generation Y graduated college right at the beginning of the recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 01:11 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,468,886 times
More excuses....the dog ate my homework, it was HER fault...I had NO idea....excuses, excuses, excuses. MY degree...PLEASE every friggin buddy in the last 25 years has a degree in Psychology and Criminal Justice (let me guess...yours is one if not both!)

Our daughter, who graduated U of Hawaii in 2000 has both above (OH VEY!) and after working for MCI managed to get onto the Toyota plant in S Texas and has worked her way up 6 promotions now....makes GREAT money with a GREAT employeer and GREAT benefits.

again, there are those that watch what happens, those that MAKE it happen, and then those that stand around scratching their butts wondering "WHAT just happened"!!?!?!?!? YOU and ONLY you decide which line you are content to stand in!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:25 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,949,646 times
L210 just wants to be argumentative. She began with a post which implied that she had to take some low paying job because "older workers" take all the entry-level professional positions and how dare someone think that during this era of recession, a young person who had a job that didn't match their education was "lucky" to at least be employed:

Quote:
That leaves people like me stuck without many options. We're too overqualified for fast food and retail and we're not experienced enough to compete with the older workers who are desperate enough to take entry-level, professional jobs. We have bills to pay too. Do you think we're "lucky?" Do you think someone in his or her mid to late twenties with several years of experience and a college degree is "lucky" to have a job as a grocery store stocker?
When others in this thread called her on her attitude, she came back with a superior tone, stating:

Quote:
Um, I have a job. It took me 9 months to get a better job after graduation which is within the norm during this recession, but I have effortlessly maintained full-time employment throughout the whole economic downturn.
So, "stuck without many options" she "effortlessly maintained full-time employment" and somehow, despite older workers "taking "all the entry-level professional positions" she still got a better job 9 months after graduation.

Gee, Paka! Remember how us boomers all got GREAT jobs 9 months BEFORE we graduated and got paid TWICE as much as our parents did after 20 to 30 years of experience?

I can see why some of the younger people who have made posts in this thread are so upset.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,718,026 times
From my personal experience I have multiple family members who are 55+ looking for work with advanced degrees and tons of experience but no luck. I just don't see it.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,131,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
My degree and experience do not line up with any 6-figure jobs in the petroleum industry. For me to work in the energy industry, I would have to move. That's something I could not have done last year. Outside of Eagle Ford Shale, South Texas is not known for having a plethora of high-paying jobs. Texas might have a relatively low unemployment rate, but Texas is also tied with Mississippi for having the highest percentage of people working for minimum wage or less. By the way, I was not unemployed. It took me 9 months to find a better paying job. The average is 6 months to a year for graduates to find a professional job. The oldest people in Generation Y graduated college right at the beginning of the recession.
I don't work in the energy industry either. Both companies laid everybody off. I had no degree. I was screwed twice over. I was a shipping clerk in an office. After the first layoff, I transition to a reporting role for a $25k raise. After the next layoff, I made over $80k.

It was only admitting that I had not so good job hunting skills, that I started taking job hunting classes. Jn our job hunting classes, we averaged 40% raise within 4 months in 2007. 9 months iis not indicative of good job hunting skills, even in this economy.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
More excuses....the dog ate my homework, it was HER fault...I had NO idea....excuses, excuses, excuses. MY degree...PLEASE every friggin buddy in the last 25 years has a degree in Psychology and Criminal Justice (let me guess...yours is one if not both!)

Our daughter, who graduated U of Hawaii in 2000 has both above (OH VEY!) and after working for MCI managed to get onto the Toyota plant in S Texas and has worked her way up 6 promotions now....makes GREAT money with a GREAT employeer and GREAT benefits.

again, there are those that watch what happens, those that MAKE it happen, and then those that stand around scratching their butts wondering "WHAT just happened"!!?!?!?!? YOU and ONLY you decide which line you are content to stand in!
I don't even see how this is relevant to my response to someone else. Obviously, your daughter didn't land a 6-figure job at an energy company shortly after graduation. Your daughter also didn't graduate during the Great Recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
L210 just wants to be argumentative. She began with a post which implied that she had to take some low paying job because "older workers" take all the entry-level professional positions and how dare someone think that during this era of recession, a young person who had a job that didn't match their education was "lucky" to at least be employed:

When others in this thread called her on her attitude, she came back with a superior tone, stating:

So, "stuck without many options" she "effortlessly maintained full-time employment" and somehow, despite older workers "taking "all the entry-level professional positions" she still got a better job 9 months after graduation.

Gee, Paka! Remember how us boomers all got GREAT jobs 9 months BEFORE we graduated and got paid TWICE as much as our parents did after 20 to 30 years of experience?

I can see why some of the younger people who have made posts in this thread are so upset.
So says the person who calls people out for "whining" and then whines and makes up all kinds of excuses for being unemployed. Your view is very one-sided. I don't know why you're so focused on the young people and aren't calling others out for saying that the older workers aren't lucky. Shouldn't they be lucky that they are at least landing entry-level jobs over younger people? You're setting a double standard. And I didn't imply that I had to "take" a low-paying job because of older workers. I already HAD a job and was looking for a better paying one. Reading is fundamental.

The reason why I effortlessly maintained employment was because I was willing to work security, which always has plenty of openings. I don't consider that to be "many options" because it's just one industry. The ones who want to be argumentative are the ones who keep responding to my posts. I didn't initiate dialogue with any of you.

Last edited by L210; 01-09-2013 at 12:28 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I don't work in the energy industry either. Both companies laid everybody off. I had no degree. I was screwed twice over. I was a shipping clerk in an office. After the first layoff, I transition to a reporting role for a $25k raise. After the next layoff, I made over $80k.

It was only admitting that I had not so good job hunting skills, that I started taking job hunting classes. Jn our job hunting classes, we averaged 40% raise within 4 months in 2007. 9 months iis not indicative of good job hunting skills, even in this economy.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:59 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,949,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Reading is fundamental.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,468,886 times
[quote=L210;27689138]I don't even see how this is relevant to my response to someone else. Obviously, your daughter didn't land a 6-figure job at an energy company shortly after graduation. Your daughter also didn't graduate during the Great Recession.

No, and she does not have a 6 figure job now...but she does do quite nicely thank you! The point is she had to THINK OUTSIDE HER BOX in order to do this! She took a job that had NOTHING to do with her degrees because a great job with great benefits was more important than her degree fields.

Her brother what a HS diploma makes more money than she does, but he works VERY hard in difficult weather conditions, outside, 24 hours per day. It works for him, like he said, he will do this as long as he can, while still a young, unattached buck and squirrel away the money, and when he decided to go to college, he will have SOME direction in what he wants to do with his live in the way of formal education and studies to better position himself. We are proud of both of them, because the look at what is out there, and decide, hey, I can have it my way or I can have what I want...which is more important.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:21 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,442,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
She took a job that had NOTHING to do with her degrees because a great job with great benefits was more important than her degree fields.
A lot of people do this. Heck, I have done this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment