Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,487,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Thank you for the excellent insider's job tip! I had no idea that security companies were actively recruiting grandmothers. Do you think they'll let me have a gun? I REALLY hate having to beat up people with my cane. It can get so messy.
Actually, they do. One company I worked for had an 82 year old man working as an armed guard. I'm female, by the way. I worked security with a lot of females who were in their 50s. There are many security jobs that are more secretarial and customer service oriented.

Last edited by L210; 01-06-2013 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,466,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post

And now you're poking fun of all those poor young people who won't have the same opportunities afforded to them due to the economic circumstances beyond their control? Wow, so very, very compassionate and mature of you. Please, tell us again how older people are superior than younger people in terms of good nature and doing things the right way. I await in much anticipation for your response.

To be quite frank, I wouldn't want to be your age either because that would mean that I don't have many years ahead of me.
PLEASE...we have 6 children, ages 23 to 40 all with good jobs. Our youngest (23 yrs old) just completed his 4 yrs in the USMC and got out, went to 3 months of intense training, and is making $90K+ per year STARTING OUT working 21 day straight, with a 7 day paid break inbetween. Yes he works hard, and YES he gets dirty, and cold and wet...but he was raised there are those that sit and whine and those that do...so he decided to be a doer.

There ARE jobs, just too many who don't want to work at something "beneath" them. And those "older folks stealing them from you" is a cop out. The difference between you and me is, if the need was there, I would work 3 minimum wage jobs to make it happen, because that is the way I was raised. We raised our kids with the same, and they are all doing fine, so DON'T generalize all "younger people" as being unwilling to do what it takes to CHANGE their position. If you ain't happy with it, it is up to YOU to make it different!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,333,263 times
Well put Paka.

Same with our 3, ages 25-32, plus the spouses of 2 of them, all doing just fine with good jobs. Threads like this and the more common ones where the people over 40 can't get jobs are beginning to just sound like excuses for the people that for whatever reason can't find a job that's acceptable to them.

My favorite older security guard:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...BankJobAsa.jpg

Old 01-06-2013, 03:40 PM

105 posts, read 362,363 times
Sad many time in my past we hired the young and found many did not have work etic ,but it was not a issue if they really wanted a job we would work with them to become good strong worker many did not want to bu t few did , Age is not a problem if you really need and want a job!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM

398 posts, read 1,366,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I don't know why you're getting so worked up. I didn't say these people were "lucky" or that it was right or wrong. I was just giving my experience and you decided to read too much into it. Anyway, these were entry-level, professional jobs that pay $30-40k. Employers can and do avoid people with too much experience and education. It's called being "overqualified" and not likely to stay once something better comes along. It's just that, in this economy, employers know they can get more for less. I did have someone with less experience and education get a job over me. The hiring manager who interviewed me basically told me I was overqualified. It is true that I would have left as soon as a better paying job came along. The likelihood of the person with just a high school diploma getting a better offer was a lot lower. That leaves people like me stuck without many options. We're too overqualified for fast food and retail and we're not experienced enough to compete with the older workers who are desperate enough to take entry-level, professional jobs. We have bills to pay too. Do you think we're "lucky?" Do you think someone in his or her mid to late twenties with several years of experience and a college degree is "lucky" to have a job as a grocery store stocker?
If someone in your 20's/recent grads are overqualified for fast food & retail (I wasn't), then what chance does a 55 year old have???
In todays economy, you are less "over" qualified than those unemployed 40 - 50 year olds desperately applying to fast food & retail.
If 55 year olds are taking away your "20-something" jobs, then you should be taking away the high school kid's traditional jobs because many high school kids complain that they can't find jobs today too... so your story doesn't quite add up that your in a "limbo" where your age group does not take away opportunities from others as well.

The reality is that every age group has lower expectations for higher paying jobs now, so how does it make sense to whine about 55 year olds when they are experiencing lack of employment opportunities as well? 55 year olds don't want jobs that they had when they were 20. They are economically forced into applying for lesser jobs... so why should your job choices not be affected as well?

Anyway, someone in their 20's having to start over "again" is a lot better off than someone in their 50's having to work at entry level again. You pointed out that someone with less experience did get a job over you and based on your attitude, it wasn't fair to you. You faced the same problem much older, experienced people still get... but with the advantages of youth.

I, at 34 years old would not want to start over again but my current job does pay less than previous. If I had a choice between starting over at a younger age vs an older age, I will always choose to start over again at younger. There's much more time and health to adapt when you are younger. When you get to be 50, you will be less capable physically & mentally to make a career change than you are now... so you will hope your work experience counts for something.

Older people are also supporting children past their teens, with college graduates living at home and/or borrowing money from parents. I rarely (never) seen young 20 somethings in the U.S. supporting their parents financially. In fact, the ones most likely to be supporting their parents would be 50 year olds supporting "grand" parents along with lending money to their grown children. The burden of financial responsibilities falls heaviest upon those adults in the late working years.

But, like I said, it is rare that someone is hired because they are much older if both have the same working experience, age discrimination is mostly done in favor of youth. If you argue that experience should not trump youth, then you are agueing in favor of age discrimination.

Last edited by raymond2; 01-06-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,947,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post

To be quite frank, I wouldn't want to be your age either because that would mean that I don't have many years ahead of me.
Quality wins over quantity every time, kid!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,947,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I'm female, by the way.
My apologies for getting your gender wrong.

You seem like a very helpful young LADY.

Quote:
There are many security jobs that are more secretarial and customer service oriented.
Would they let me have a gun for THOSE jobs?

(I did find my pepper spray, but I don't know if it still works.)

Old 01-06-2013, 04:47 PM

180 posts, read 267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
From the looks of things it appears age discrimination may not be such a big factor overall. In fact from looking at things it may appear that young people are being discriminated against.

I notice when I go to job sites ( building construction ) I'm really hard pressed to find any young people, The majority of people I see getting hired are 55 and up. This explains why.
I'm old and I ain't gettin' no job!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,487,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
If someone in your 20's/recent grads are overqualified for fast food & retail (I wasn't), then what chance does a 55 year old have???
In todays economy, you are less "over" qualified than those unemployed 40 - 50 year olds desperately applying to fast food & retail.
If 55 year olds are taking away your "20-something" jobs, then you should be taking away the high school kid's traditional jobs because many high school kids complain that they can't find jobs today too... so your story doesn't quite add up that your in a "limbo" where your age group does not take away opportunities from others as well.
I'm sure some do, but like I said before, I believe you're more likely to be deemed too overqualified for lower-end jobs. For jobs that require a degree, they might see value in having someone with a higher degree or more experience than required. McDonald's really wouldn't care if you have a degree in culinary arts. It does nothing for them. They're more concerned about retention.

Quote:
The reality is that every age group has lower expectations for higher paying jobs now, so how does it make sense to whine about 55 year olds when they are experiencing lack of employment opportunities as well? 55 year olds don't want jobs that they had when they were 20. They are economically forced into applying for lesser jobs... so why should your job choices not be affected as well?
How am I whining about older people getting jobs over me? I'm just stating my reality because it's relevant to what the OP posted.
Quote:
Anyway, someone in their 20's having to start over "again" is a lot better off than someone in their 50's having to work at entry level again. You pointed out that someone with less experience did get a job over you and based on your attitude, it wasn't fair to you. You faced the same problem much older, experienced people still get... but with the advantages of youth.
Actually, I gave the opposite attitude. I completely understand why some employers would deem someone overqualified. Like I said, overqualified people are more likely to leave because better opportunities are more likely to come their way.

Quote:
Older people are also supporting children past their teens, with college graduates living at home and/or borrowing money from parents. I rarely (never) seen young 20 somethings in the U.S. supporting their parents financially. In fact, the ones most likely to be supporting their parents would be 50 year olds supporting "grand" parents along with lending money to their grown children. The burden of financial responsibilities falls heaviest upon those adults in the late working years.
Not where I live. There are a lot of people in their 20s with children.
Quote:
But, like I said, it is rare that someone is hired because they are much older if both have the same working experience, age discrimination is mostly done in favor of youth. If you argue that experience should not trump youth, then you are agueing in favor of age discrimination.
I don't know why people keep putting words in my mouth. I never said youth trumps experience or anything close to it. I didn't even imply it. Even though older workers are more likely to be more experienced, it is possible for a 28 year who has been working in a bank for 8 years to be more experienced than a 50 year old who has never worked in a bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
My apologies for getting your gender wrong.

You seem like a very helpful young LADY.

Would they let me have a gun for THOSE jobs?

(I did find my pepper spray, but I don't know if it still works.)
It depends on what the client requires in the contract. You can be sarcastic all you want, but these people are employed.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:03 PM

15,130 posts, read 32,355,658 times
To a security company, you're just a body in a uniform. They don't discriminate against age, looks, race, or weight. The only requirement is that you can walk, talk and breathe. I've been working security off and on for 20 years, and found this out every time I applied for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment