Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this style unprofessional for an accountant/lawyer intern?
Yes, it may be too casual 8 29.63%
Yes, because its obviously unnatural 3 11.11%
No, this is a common style 6 22.22%
No, you are obsessing 10 37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 AM

175 posts, read 279,420 times

Advertisements

I chose that your hair should not be an issue since it is such a common style.

I especially think you can pull off the look as office appropriate if you tone down everything else. This means very natural makeup, hair in an understated bun, and minimalist accessories. Accessories include shoes, so make sure heels are of modest style and height.

By the way, I cringe as I write this. I am a PA, work in a very conservative environment, but I am not at all conservative and wish I could wear purple tips in my hair and other fun things!

Congrats on the internship, and best wishes for that job offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Horrible advice. Talk to straight male friends. They will tell you what is acceptable in hair styles. All these women listen to these stylists and up with these ugly as hell short haircuts with weird colors.
This is also something I'm concerned about. I don't want to have to look matronly just to "fit" at a conservative job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetnights View Post
I chose that your hair should not be an issue since it is such a common style.

I especially think you can pull off the look as office appropriate if you tone down everything else. This means very natural makeup, hair in an understated bun, and minimalist accessories. Accessories include shoes, so make sure heels are of modest style and height.

By the way, I cringe as I write this. I am a PA, work in a very conservative environment, but I am not at all conservative and wish I could wear purple tips in my hair and other fun things!

Congrats on the internship, and best wishes for that job offer!

Thanks! Yes, if it were up to me I would have long hair to my waist with highlights, maybe ombre. I also prefer bright colors with clothing such as reds and corals. I know I'm going to have to sick with whites and neutrals now which SUCKs. I didn't think this would be hard. I just don't want who I am to change into a stuffy corporate type.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM

945 posts, read 968,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
This is also something I'm concerned about. I don't want to have to look matronly just to "fit" at a conservative job.

Thanks! Yes, if it were up to me I would have long hair to my waist with highlights, maybe ombre. I also prefer bright colors with clothing such as reds and corals. I know I'm going to have to sick with whites and neutrals now which SUCKs. I didn't think this would be hard. I just don't want who I am to change into a stuffy corporate type.
If you wanted to be a glamor model then why did you choose to practice law? It is hardly a hidden fact that there is a level of humble and professional dress attire that goes with the profession.

Here are some professions that will allow you to dress however you want with no or minimal repercussions.

-housewife
-unemployment
-stripper
-model
-singer
-self employed

Just off the top of my head, probably a host of other options.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:18 PM

156 posts, read 313,166 times
Do you have pictures?

Some can pull off different looks better than others.....ignore the haters like your grandma. Haters gonna hate

Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
If you wanted to be a glamor model then why did you choose to practice law?
That's rather unfair & judgmental. Not all women are plain and/or frumpy yet are working in that sort of environment. There are a lot of pretty people on the planet, who come across as much workplace discrimination as other groups. She's a young woman with a certain style, asking how to modify that in order to fit into her company & has made that clear. Many of us have had to do that in different work environments. Why does that deserve bitter comments?

Honestly, I've worked with more plump, dumpy girls with men's hairstyles & not a stitch of makeup & wonder why they choose to walk around with their off-the-rack look & thick, chunky legs encased in beige nylons & flat, plain, sensible shoes. I don't roll my eyes at them. It's their choice to be what I'd call unstylish & behind the times. So be it. I shouldn't have to copy them just to pay my rent, but I have chosen to modify colors, style choices & hair for an office environment.

Quote:
Here are some professions that will allow you to dress however you want with no or minimal repercussions.

-housewife
-unemployment
-stripper
-model
-singer
-self employed

This is insulting. Why are you replying? You're sounding the jealous type & obviously have a problem with women who are attractive. Perhaps boost your self esteem before kicking those you don't want to understand. What a bloody joy it must be to work with you & your attitude.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
It depends on the office you are working for. Some are more conservative than others. If you have knowledge of other employees, let them be your lead on how you style your hair.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:07 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times
I think all women who are under 35 and weigh less than 150 pounds should be allowed to wander around the office naked, and all of the guys can wear whatever they want (but they have to be clothed). The older and fatter women would be required to wear clothes also and they could wear whatever they want as long as it isn't too revealing. That's the dress code I would implement if I were to become CEO of a company.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM

569 posts, read 671,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

My advice to you is just do what some others have stated. Wear your normal hair pulled back in a conservative pony or bun with professional makeup, not nightclub makeup. They liked you enough to give you an internship afterall.

The best advice I can give you is to be comfortable with how you look so it isn't distracting to YOU (if you ever have worn something that doesn't make you feel fabulous or had a haircut that stunk, it can really mess with your confidence). In other words don't drastically change because you think you ought to but tailor your current look to the tone of the office. I think the worst way to present yourself is to change to what you think they want and be very uncomfortable because it isn't you.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 AM

131 posts, read 480,440 times
What type of law firm? There is a huge difference between working in a 100 year old civil defense firm and or a small upstart? Look at the firm's website and take a feel for the image they are trying to portray. If they want to feel like an old school banking house, it is one thing. If they are holding themselves out as "boutique," it is another. (Word of warning, some firms use the phrase simply to justify the fact that they are small). I would also look at the female attorneys. Don't ignore potential jealousy issues here.

Internships are normally unpaid. As an attorney, I know that you are a college kid and that you are paying the school to work for free. I'm looking for someone who is smart, hardworking, and who has good language skills. Even though you aren't a receptionist, I'll want someone who can handle themselves on the phone because calling around and begging for things is important. I look for someone who is good at reading people. I also know in a semester you are going to be gone and I am usually not looking for you to change your life around for me.

Stu

PS: I presume you are an undergrad since law students typically use the word "clerkship."

Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udonsoup View Post
Do you have pictures?

Some can pull off different looks better than others.....ignore the haters like your grandma. Haters gonna hate
None that I want to put here thanks to posters like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
If you wanted to be a glamor model then why did you choose to practice law? It is hardly a hidden fact that there is a level of humble and professional dress attire that goes with the profession.

-housewife
-unemployment
-stripper
-model
-singer
-self employed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stufried View Post
What type of law firm? There is a huge difference between working in a 100 year old civil defense firm and or a small upstart? Look at the firm's website and take a feel for the image they are trying to portray. If they want to feel like an old school banking house, it is one thing. If they are holding themselves out as "boutique," it is another. (Word of warning, some firms use the phrase simply to justify the fact that they are small). I would also look at the female attorneys. Don't ignore potential jealousy issues here.

Internships are normally unpaid. As an attorney, I know that you are a college kid and that you are paying the school to work for free. I'm looking for someone who is smart, hardworking, and who has good language skills. Even though you aren't a receptionist, I'll want someone who can handle themselves on the phone because calling around and begging for things is important. I look for someone who is good at reading people. I also know in a semester you are going to be gone and I am usually not looking for you to change your life around for me.

Stu

PS: I presume you are an undergrad since law students typically use the word "clerkship."

Thanks for the advice. Its actually a public accounting firm. I just included the "lawyer" thing because a lot of people aren't aware of how conservative financial services are but everyone is familiar with law for some reason.

I'm going to be working for a mid sized public accounting firm based out of New England. There are about 3 or 4 offices in New England. I have been to a few KPMG events and everyone was so conservative compared to how I was. Everyone from KPMG was wearing mostly black, even the young women. I was not expecting that. I associate head to toe black with funerals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment