Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this style unprofessional for an accountant/lawyer intern?
Yes, it may be too casual 8 29.63%
Yes, because its obviously unnatural 3 11.11%
No, this is a common style 6 22.22%
No, you are obsessing 10 37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times

Advertisements

I don't know if we are allowed to post pictures found on google but I will try to describe my hair.

It is long, and passes the band of my bra by an inch or two.

It has a ton of blonde highlights, yet the undersection is dark brown. My complexion is medium olive. People usually guess I'm Italian or some type of Spanish. I realize that my hair does not look natural but I still like it. I'm just worried it will clash with wearing a suit or that my bosses won't take me as seriously because of my beachy blonde fake hair.

A celeb example of how I look is Demi Lovato when she had highlights, Selena Gomez if she had highlights, Eva Longoria if she was a bit paler, Giuliana Rancic is probably whom I resemble most in terms of facial features, complexion, and highlights. People also tell me I look a lot like Nicole Richie.

This is my "look". I'm concerned I look too unnatural (maybe even skanky? Not sure, I'm very confused since I have a 70 year old aunt who told me I look like a **** and female cousins who don't like me) for my conservative internship. I will be wearing a conservative black suit most of the time.

Giuliana Rancic Announces She Has Breast Cancer « Divabetic® Blog

Demi Lovato Haircut: 'X Factor' Judge Tweets Photo With New Blonde Bangs (LOOK)

Nicole Richie Bronze Eye Makeup - Nicole Richie Makeup Pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Well, none of the people in your photos of choice work in law firms.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Those just look like normal haircuts to me. But what do I know, I'm a guy.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I work at a law firm. You can do your hair just like it is...maybe pull it back, or do a chignon sometimes. But, lots of clients feel more comfortable w/ contemporary looking staff. You didn't say where you live?? But even in po dunk Midwest, hairstyles are just that, stylish. So, unless your boss or office manager says something...I'd go with it. Wear daytime makeup...look classy. Wear some great business suits, a classy suit w/ a stylish hairdo is a very good look in an office. Good luck

Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
It worked for Elle in "Legally Blonde"!

Just be yourself, you'll be fine!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I work at a law firm. You can do your hair just like it is...maybe pull it back, or do a chignon sometimes. Wear daytime makeup. Wear some great business suits, a classy suit w/ a stylish hairdo is a very good look in an office. Good luck
I agree with Jan. I've worked in law, too & have long, thick, blonde hair. I normally wear it up or back so it's not too flashy, but more importantly, to keep it off my face & out of my eyes. Buns/chignons don't need to be frumpy like grandmum used to wear & I think look very professional. I do, however, tone down styling for work... no dangling tendrils, heightened-crown or Vogue-type styles. I reserve those for afterwork.

I've always found this to work best for me in the corporate world... for an interview, it's always pulled back in a very sedate style (tight French twist or bun) because I want to showcase my skills, not my appearance. On the job, if it's a stuffy office, I reflect that & am more subtle.

Also, it's easier to gauge what to do based on other women in your age range in that particular law firm. If you're hoping the job will transition into a FT offer, you want to showcase work ethic, so what Jan said about sleek & stylish works, because you want them to see that you'd fit nicely into their office culture.

Do any other women wear their hair down at that firm? I'd say slightly mimic the women who have positions you'd like to have one day, rather than those who might be in jobs you're trying to surpass.

Best of luck & congratulations on your internship!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
I'm a guy so my opinion is a bit irrelevant, but...
If you haven't already started, I'd keep it mostly pulled back and conservative until you got there and saw how everyone else at that office kept their hair. The culture in every office I've worked in has been so different...

Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
As long as your hair isn't an unnatural color like pink blue or something

Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm concerned I look too unnatural (maybe even skanky?
Two different questions here...
1) what is reasonable, tolerable or appropriate for someone working in a professional office
2) what is appropriate for someone applying to work there
The second will always have a higher standard than the first.

Visit a stylist. Trust their judgment.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,417 times
Some great advice on here, re: checking out the styles of others in similar positions. I don't think long hair is the issue. You mentioned the highlights. I personally love chunky highlights that don't blend in and standout. But, it may not be a great look for a law office.

Pulling it back is a great idea. The other thing you may want to consider is a temporary wash that mutes the highlights.

I know you don't want to change who you are. Your hair is part of your "look" and your personality. Still, this is a job and we just use a different "persona" for the job.

BTW, making your look a little formal with accessories, etc. is a great idea and will balance out the hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment