Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,341,324 times

Advertisements

Wow OP, you sound like me! I am also 22 and have been going to college since 2009. I keep changing my mind about what I want to do. Math is my weak area so I really can not imagine doing anything math related like accounting or engineering.

Look at Pharmacy as a career. As a pharmacist you can work primarily on your own but you aren't locked to a desk or cubicle. Pay is good too. Not much writing involved though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 PM

5,183 posts, read 4,508,879 times
Mail carrier

Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 PM

3,659 posts, read 3,804,071 times
Heavy equipment operator.
Driving a road grader in rural areas.
Fencing contractor.
Ranch or farm hand.
Technician monitoring oil wells, oil pipeline pumpstations.
Monitoring water flow in the west for states.
Driving a dump truck (one of the huge ones) at a mine.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:40 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,125,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
Wow OP, you sound like me! I am also 22 and have been going to college since 2009. I keep changing my mind about what I want to do. Math is my weak area so I really can not imagine doing anything math related like accounting or engineering.

Look at Pharmacy as a career. As a pharmacist you can work primarily on your own but you aren't locked to a desk or cubicle. Pay is good too. Not much writing involved though.
Unless you work as a store pharmacist then not much solitude there.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,608,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Here are a few suggestions I don't think people have given yet:

gravedigger
mortician (you can usually hire people to front the 'dealing with live folks' part of it)
denturist
Mortician is great suggestion. You can also go into research in the field of your choice. Doing research, you have to deal with a set of people on a regular basis but you will need your PhD. What about a geologists, historian, librarian would isolate you from people on a regular basis

Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,240,867 times
Are you inclined toward the medical arts? You can work in the basement of a hospital as a pathologist. Or you can work in a medical examiner's office. Just you, the body, and your little friend the Stryker saw...

Old 03-09-2013, 05:53 AM

11,418 posts, read 24,532,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I naturally dislike people, and people don't like me. I'm a 22 year old college student and like many college students, I have no idea what to do with my life. All I know so far is that I prefer a career that doesn't involve with a lot of social interaction with people. I can socialize with people fairly well when I want to but in mostly short bursts and not 24/7. I know I seem like I'm a grumpy ******* but I'm actually fairly nice and really caring towards other people, some people even come to me for advice and I'd never refuse to give someone a helping hand if they need someone to talk to or vent to. I'm in no way perfect though, as I come off as eccentric and socially awkward and very few people accept that. It's one of the reasons why I prefer being alone most of the time I can, although I do have a handful of people I consider acquaintances, I just prefer keeping people at a distance. I'm normally creative, I love writing, video games, music, and just going for walks (Jesus this sounds like a corny ass dating profile :I ). Anyways, I'm just having a hard time figuring what to focus on in college, being here since 2009 makes me frustrated, and the fact I'm becoming so bitter dealing with these college kids everyday makes me even more angry. I'm doing some career and personality assessments that are narrowing down some possible choices, but I'm not too sure, I feel unmotivated even though I've done internships and job shadowing.
Quick advice: you might outgrow some of your antisocial feelings in a few years. It's not unusual to feel this way in college.

Personality tests can shift over time, especially if you're feeling especially gruff when you take one.

That being said, what do the career assessments tell you?

Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,608,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Are you inclined toward the medical arts? You can work in the basement of a hospital as a pathologist. Or you can work in a medical examiner's office. Just you, the body, and your little friend the Stryker saw...
Don't forget research microbiologist...now that's the ulimate job for a introvert/loner.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:04 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,845,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Heavy equipment operator.
Driving a road grader in rural areas.
Fencing contractor.
Ranch or farm hand.
Technician monitoring oil wells, oil pipeline pumpstations.
Monitoring water flow in the west for states.
Driving a dump truck (one of the huge ones) at a mine.
Some of these occupations I know, having been involved doing them for many years, give a person the option of dealing with people in a limited capacity. There isn't anything wrong in your desire to limit contact with others. My wife and I, having lived by ourselves for so many years have designed our lives around she and I, although, we, too, do enjoy people, but we have found we prefer them in measured doses.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Status: "Happy Memorial Day to all who served." (set 1 day ago)

24,163 posts, read 32,664,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I naturally dislike people, and people don't like me. I'm a 22 year old college student and like many college students, I have no idea what to do with my life. All I know so far is that I prefer a career that doesn't involve with a lot of social interaction with people. I can socialize with people fairly well when I want to but in mostly short bursts and not 24/7. I know I seem like I'm a grumpy ******* but I'm actually fairly nice and really caring towards other people, some people even come to me for advice and I'd never refuse to give someone a helping hand if they need someone to talk to or vent to. I'm in no way perfect though, as I come off as eccentric and socially awkward and very few people accept that. It's one of the reasons why I prefer being alone most of the time I can, although I do have a handful of people I consider acquaintances, I just prefer keeping people at a distance. I'm normally creative, I love writing, video games, music, and just going for walks (Jesus this sounds like a corny ass dating profile :I ). Anyways, I'm just having a hard time figuring what to focus on in college, being here since 2009 makes me frustrated, and the fact I'm becoming so bitter dealing with these college kids everyday makes me even more angry. I'm doing some career and personality assessments that are narrowing down some possible choices, but I'm not too sure, I feel unmotivated even though I've done internships and job shadowing.
Well many careers come to mind. But right now, lets rule out sales. Then we will be off to a good start.

From what you have written, these careers come to mind -

writer - the penultimate career for the solipsistic

editor - it's related

therapist - yes you read right. Many are not exactly people persons. But one person at a time? They can handle that. They are also private people, and many are eccentric and a tad socially awkward.
I went to one once who constantly wore mismatched socks. I mean really mismatched. When I pointed it out to him he laughed and said he hadn't noticed, but even if they didn't match, the covered his feet which "is what I look for in a sock". OK.

If you decide on this there are many ways to go - MD - psychiatrist, MSW - clinical social worker, PhD or PsyD - clinical psychologist, psychiatric nurse practitioner.

College professor - they know a lot but generally are practically hermits. I have 2 good friends who do this for a living and getting either of them to go to a movie or out shopping is a major operation.
Forget about parties. they don't do parties. Phd or MA/S at smaller or community colleges.

museum curator - you can organize your displays and be grouchy when people lean on glass cases or touch paintings. usually you need an MA

Librarian - you books and computers! You can do that. Also you can say "shhhhh!!!" and act annoyed when someone asks for the bathroom key. requires an MLS

Something working with or for animals or children. They both might not annoy you as much as regular people do.

Best of luck and let me know what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment