Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 04:53 PM

41 posts, read 103,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
You are confusing being a loner/introvert with being antisocial. Antisocial doesn't mean "doesn't like to socialize." It means, "doesn't follow social rules to the point of preying on others to serve oneself."

I'm not inventing anything. I'm a mental health professional with 20 years experience. That's what antisocial is. Only ill-informed people think antisocial means "not sociable."

I would NEVER say or imply that an introverted person is likely to break the law! I'm a proud introvert and have posted on that fact extensively in other threads. Introverts prefer to minimize social contact because social contact is draining. I prefer "loner" over introvert myself, because too may ill-informed people think that "introvert" means "shy, fearful of social contact, or lacking social skills." The word loner better implies that it's our preference.

But apart from all that, antisocial has NOTHING to do with being a loner or introvert.
Oh, really?? Well, I found this excerpt, taken from the Collins English Dictionary:

Quote:
antisocial [ˌæntɪˈsəʊʃəl]
adj
1. avoiding the company of other people; unsociable
and in case you're unsure of what unsociable means:
Quote:
un·so·cia·ble (n-ssh-bl)
adj.
1. Not disposed to seek the company of others; reserved.
2. Not congenial; incompatible.
3. Not conducive to social exchange: an unsociable atmosphere
But you know, that's just coming from those uneducated and ill-informed people from the dictionary. Can't trust those clowns, can we.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
When you spend your time on other people's problems.....
I don't think you understand, there are people who don't want to waste their time on other people's problems, that's something for people like you to do.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Careers for Antisocial & Loner types?

What do engineers use for birth control?
Spoiler

Their personalities.
That's so funny, I'll have to remember that one for when I'm having sex:
"Oh, I don't need a condom, I use my personality."

Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,969,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperPlanes View Post
Oh, really?? Well, I found this excerpt, taken from the Collins English Dictionary:

and in case you're unsure of what unsociable means:

But you know, that's just coming from those uneducated and ill-informed people from the dictionary. Can't trust those clowns, can we.

Oh, an online dictionary carries more weight that every single text on psychopathology?

Remember, incorrect usage of words has made it into "regular" dictionaries all the time. Remember when there was all the controversy about "ain't"? Dictionaries now admit words and phrases after they've been used or misused in certain ways in common everyday usage.

It doesn't change the fact that antisocial means "acting against society in a self-serving manner."

So go ahead, in your everyday life, use "antisocial" to mean "not sociable" but just be aware that anyone with any amount of education in psychology will silently decide you're uneducated and ill-informed. If that's fine with you, no problem.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Remember, incorrect usage of words has made it into "regular" dictionaries all the time. Remember when there was all the controversy about "ain't"? Dictionaries now admit words and phrases after they've been used or misused in certain ways in common everyday usage.

It doesn't change the fact that antisocial means "acting against society in a self-serving manner."

So go ahead, in your everyday life, use "antisocial" to mean "not sociable" but just be aware that anyone with any amount of education in psychology will silently decide you're uneducated and ill-informed. If that's fine with you, no problem.
There are multiple dictionaries, that's not the only dictionary that has that as the definition. Having it in a dictionary makes it valid and official, and having it in both the dictionary and known to millions of people makes it the truth and reality. Yeah, that's kind of how words work. So what do I care if one or two self-important people disagrees with that, and thinks I'm uninformed and uneducated. To everyone else, those few people are the uninformed and delusional.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,969,345 times

Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,800,953 times
I can see why you have a rep of 10. 'Bye.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I can see why you have a rep of 10. 'Bye.
Oh, you mean because I just joined this website. That's true, you're so bright! Glad you figured that out.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,436 times
For those who are saying this person is too young to know whether they are going to be that way for the rest of their life (as if it's a bad thing, at that) I don't think so. Most people have already developed their personalities at a very young age, so to tell someone who is "anti social" or a loner that they don't know at 22 is ridiculous.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:10 PM

722 posts, read 1,334,954 times
I heard a lot of loner types that like working alone made excellent military snipers, Long Range Reconnaissance [LURP] recon scouts, Special Forces , MIKE FORCE during the Vietnam War

they had to have a lot of patience and spend long hours out in the boonies alone or with a small group, they sometimes waited days, weeks, months observing and gathering intel , undetected behind enemy lines

they call them the "Silent Professionals"

another popular occupation for a guy that doesnt like much public contact or socializing

is a night janitor cleaning office buildings / business late in the evening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment