Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 04:25 PM

244 posts, read 707,184 times

Advertisements

I naturally dislike people, and people don't like me. I'm a 22 year old college student and like many college students, I have no idea what to do with my life. All I know so far is that I prefer a career that doesn't involve with a lot of social interaction with people. I can socialize with people fairly well when I want to but in mostly short bursts and not 24/7. I know I seem like I'm a grumpy ******* but I'm actually fairly nice and really caring towards other people, some people even come to me for advice and I'd never refuse to give someone a helping hand if they need someone to talk to or vent to. I'm in no way perfect though, as I come off as eccentric and socially awkward and very few people accept that. It's one of the reasons why I prefer being alone most of the time I can, although I do have a handful of people I consider acquaintances, I just prefer keeping people at a distance. I'm normally creative, I love writing, video games, music, and just going for walks (Jesus this sounds like a corny ass dating profile :I ). Anyways, I'm just having a hard time figuring what to focus on in college, being here since 2009 makes me frustrated, and the fact I'm becoming so bitter dealing with these college kids everyday makes me even more angry. I'm doing some career and personality assessments that are narrowing down some possible choices, but I'm not too sure, I feel unmotivated even though I've done internships and job shadowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
I see nothing wrong with your perspective. Not everyone was meant to be a social butterfly. Just keep on doing what you are doing. I would think IT or something with math, engineering or science would work for you. Certainly not sales or people pleasing careers. You have a gift. Just find out where your talents can be useful in the best way.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
You sound like me, and I agree with PhxBarb's suggestions (I'm a software engineer). Also, perhaps some sort of lab work - biotech, maybe. Possibly librarian work. Avoid sales, business, and social service jobs - they'll require you to interact with people at the job's need rather than at your own comfort level.

Could you teach? That would be too much interaction for me, although because it's highly scripted interaction it's not as daunting as stuff like sales.

And I sympathize with having to deal with the "socialness" of college. I went to college at a later age, and to a college that didn't have a huge social scene, so I escaped all that. I watch my friends' children at college and wonder how they manage to cope with all that they do!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
IT, definitely. I've only met a handful with social skills exceeding your average turnip.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 PM

12 posts, read 59,062 times
I must be doomed then if those are all the career choices. I'm a loner & introverted and don't think I have the intellectual ability or talents to get a career in IT, Science, Math or Engineering. I enjoy math but not very good at it. :S

Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 PM

244 posts, read 707,184 times
I'm no good with math, science and engineer. I can work with computers just to a basic extent. I feel like giving up.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
You could work for a school district where you're the only person of your position at the school, so I'm not talking about a teacher. For example, if you're a school pscyhologist or speech-language pathologist (I'm an SLP), you're quite isolated at the workplace day in and day out. You don't have to attend the staff/teacher meetings or do yard/reces duty like the other teachers. You just do your thing that you have to do with the kids, which isn't a whole class, so that cuts way down on behavioral problems. Plus, the best part is, if you worked for a school district, you'd have all the holidays & summers off! That's more days to be away from people & do your own thing.

Like I said, I'm an SLP & hardly see any adults all day & if I do, it's in passing. So since there's 12 mons in a year, I get a solid, 2 months off in the summers, then about another month or tad more when you add up all the holidays schools have off throught the school year. That's going to be hard to beat with any other jobs. I'd really like to know what other careers give people that many days off.

Other than that, you can own your own business where of course you're your own boss OR work in your home doing something...don't know what.

For me personally, it's not that I dislike people, but I do tend to stay to myself a LOT. Social gatherings & parties don't excite me. I could are less about them. I hate crowds. If I can go someplace on another regular weekday to avoid them if I can so I can have a nicer, leisurely time, I will. Like going to amusement parks or some county fair. I think any public place is MORE fun without a lot of people.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
If you're an outdoorsy type you can look into careers with some thing like a state or national park service, maybe as a conservation officer or park ranger. You will have to be nice and helpful to tourists but your day to day to job will be mostly alone

Something in library sciences might also be attractive to you.

Like animals- something at a zoo or other animal facility.

To say you like music, videos, writing is not helpful to a career as jobs producing any of that requires lots of computer skills . There is technical writing but it requires lot of product knowledge first.

Another possibility might a job in property management. You may need some sort of certification for that which should not be too hard to come by. Google the job and see if it is something you might like.

Silicon Valley and high paying IT/ computer careers are where you will find tons of loners and socially inept types of people. Unfortunately for you, these are also the highly technical, very computer savvy jobs too.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:38 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
My daughter has Aspergers Syndrome so she is not a very social person at all. She is 17, so I have been thinking of her as I go through my days and wondering what she will be able to do.

One day I had to have a couple of xrays and I thought that would be a perfect thing for her. Xray or MRI/CT tech. You would work with people but not all day. Basically you are in contact with them, just telling them what to do for about 5 minutes and then they are out of your life.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:55 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
Be careful with using "Antisocial" to describe yourself as a loner.

Antisocial means being self-centered in a way that you have no regard for others or society. You would be fine with hurting people and breaking laws just to have your way.

What you're talking about is being "non-social" or "asocial."

We loners get enough grief without being confused with sociopaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment