Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,126,233 times

Advertisements

You sound like a woman had a couple classes with. She had 20 some degrees. She was bored and just kept getting degrees. Wish I had that luxury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 12:06 AM

14 posts, read 20,879 times
wow 20!?
i think a masters is not that unusual, it was 1 year and total i studied 2 years after college which is not that unusual maybe
and i dont plan to get more but if there was a career that owuld be a good fit for me where it is necessary in the future i am willing to but i dont know what it would be for example maybe i need to study more to switch careers to a different area than engineering but i dont knwo what area would be a good fit for me

i guess now im just looking at some potential careers that would actually be a good fit for me

i considered something like sound technician and im going to look into that, i think a lot of the people that owrk with sound equipment are very good thougha nd it will be hard to get a role in the film industry, and i think alot of them are men who know how to set up equipment can carry heavy things, im better at the computer than working with physical equipemnt
for example if the job were like mixing sounds on the computer maybe i can do something like that but i am very bad at hands on things
for event planning maybe, but i dont know if im a good planner or not
accounting is too solitary

i would prefer something with a little technical requirement with a little barrier to entry but not too much, for example something that doesnt need more than a technical bachelor degree
if the job requires masters degree in a technical area it may be too difficult and not in my interest
too much would be something like doctor

if there was something that might need al ittle more education or getting a certificate i would consider it
for example to become a nurse i would need to go to nursing school and get a certificate or something
for teaching i need to get certified
i guess a lot of things will take more training which im willing to do, but the problem is that im not sure if i want to d othose things
i dont know what would be a good fit for me

ive thought about maybe working at a support desk in an area that i know about (for example, maybe websites, if customers email for help), i think i would enjoy that, but the pay is not really mor ethan waitress pay so it wouldnt really be a career

Old 09-08-2013, 12:51 AM

35,108 posts, read 31,388,112 times
You're talking about absolutely everything but you seem to have experience and background in little or nothing. Teaching, film, nursing, and engineering are very different professions, and require very different skills and frames of mind. It is unlikely that one person would have the traits to succeed in all of them.

Not trying to be rude, but your grammar is horrible on this forum. If this spills over into your resume, it will be a red flag, if not an automatic disqualifier. You need to improve your writing and/or get your resume professionally written.

You seem extremely scatterbrained and unable to focus on a specific target. You need to think concisely and logically. I would approach your situation as follows.

1) What are you good at and what interests you? Take note of these things. If you end up working in a field that you are not temperamentally suited for or that you hate, it's unlikely you'll become very good at it.

2) Of the things that you like to do, are interested in, or are good at, which ones are the easiest for the average person in the field to make money off of? Lots of people like to sing, but few can do it professionally. I'd wager that fewer people want to write software professionally than want to sing professionally, but it's far easier to become a professional software developer than a professional singer. Most singers can never make a living off music, but most software developers can find in-field employment.

3) Let's say you really want to focus on becoming either a teacher, a nurse, or a neurosurgeon. How much money and time is it going to take you to do any of these things? A person could go through a relatively cheap and brief training program to become a CNA/LPN (low to medium pay), a four-year education program (medium pay), or more than ten years of residency and education to become a neurosurgeon (exceptional pay and expensive). Which method best suits you at this point in your life?

You need to take inventory of what you want to do and can reasonably do and then make the best logical decision.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:27 AM

probably cause im just typing what comes to mind and i didnt proofread it, where was my grammar bad?

1. i guess im good at math, science up to the college level (anything above that is too difficult), computers/internet (like making websites, but not programming)
i like making websites, blogs, and online communities about entertainment topics
self-employment really appeals to me

im not sure about this
i want to be self-employed so much that right now i am doing random part time jobs so that i have time to try some side projects on the side, and hoping something can get enough money that i can live on, that would be ideal for me and i might spend many years trying to do this, i think part of it is luck

im not sure, if there was something i was sure about i would be willing to do more training, probably brief to start but in the future if it works out i would be willing to do more, at this point i think since im not sure probably not somethign that needs more than a yaer or two of training to start

Old 09-08-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
You're talking about absolutely everything but you seem to have experience and background in little or nothing. Teaching, film, nursing, and engineering are very different professions, and require very different skills and frames of mind. It is unlikely that one person would have the traits to succeed in all of them.
i guess i dont have a real passion for teaching, nursing or engineering so any of these things are equally bad for me
engineering -even if i math/science are natural for me because i dont enjoy it, i would not be very good at it or have much motivation to learn new things
teaching i think i could get by but i would not be very good, maybe i could be an average teacher
same with nursing
film actually i dont want to work in film like to make movies or anything, the only thing i considered was doing something like working in the sound department
probably any of the things i would just be average

Old 09-08-2013, 01:37 AM

35,108 posts, read 31,388,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoler09 View Post
i guess i dont have a real passion for teaching, nursing or engineering so any of these things are equally bad for me
engineering -even if i math/science are natural for me because i dont enjoy it, i would not be very good at it or have much motivation to learn new things
teaching i think i could get by but i would not be very good, maybe i could be an average teacher
same with nursing
film i would be average because im not very good
probably any of the things i would just be average
If you feel that you can only be average, you need to develop those skills further to the point where you are no longer average. No one follows a career path seeking to be average. What you are employed in may not satisfy you spiritually or emotionally, but it at least needs to be something that is both tolerable and marketable. You just have to find the proper balance between what you like to do, what you are able to do, and what is feasible to do (getting a job).

Old 09-08-2013, 02:21 AM

Quote:
If you feel that you can only be average, you need to develop those skills further to the point where you are no longer average. No one follows a career path seeking to be average. What you are employed in may not satisfy you spiritually or emotionally, but it at least needs to be something that is both tolerable and marketable. You just have to find the proper balance between what you like to do, what you are able to do, and what is feasible to do (getting a job).
i think that i wouldnt really care if i were average or not, it would just be a way for me to make money to do other things
as long as i could make ok money by being average or even less than average that would be enough for me

Old 09-08-2013, 02:29 AM

219 posts, read 331,999 times
Emigrations is spot-on with his analysis and advice for you.

I don't want to be mean either, but judging from your posts and life decisions thus far, I question your passion, work ethic and maturity level.

Have you ever worked a job for at least several months without getting fired?

If you pursue something now, are you sure you will follow it to completion? What if after all of your training, you work a few months, decide you don't like it and quit?

If I were you, I would get some contacts in Sound, Entertainment, or Website blogging and interview or even shadow them to learn more about their jobs. After that it may be easier to commit yourself.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,101,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Are you attractive?

Marry a man who makes real good $ (150K+) and then you can do your blogs all you want and whatever $ you make can only help.

It might sound like a joke, but it's a very real reality among my social circle and extended.
I know a girl that has all her bills paid, travels all over and works as a art collector. She lives in a nice apt in SoHo. She goes on a month vacation every year. I always tell her how lucky she is that she doesn't work in an office and does the regular 8 to 5. I wish i could find a sugar momma.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
i know my interests are all over the place
i think that i could do teaching or nursing even though.. its not what i am "passionate" about
engineering, is very broad an it depends on what type, some of my courses were physics related
im not very good at hands on things, i looked into sound engineering but i dont think i could do it because of the hands on aspect, where you have to set up the equipment, i see that is handled by men mostly
if sound engineering was just using the computer to mix sounds maybe i could do it, also it would be difficult to be successful because the film industry is difficult to get into and im sure that there are much more qualified and hard working people than me
i think that i wouldnt have much motivation to excel.. and i would just be average in whatever it is in my career. i am not passionate about having a career but is anyone really, most people hate their jobs it seems. teaching, nursing, engineering, i believe i could do them, even if they require different skills.. i may not be the best nurse but maybe not the worst either.. maybe just average but average isnt bad.. or a bit less than average but not the worse but still within an acceptable range i guess
but they are not my passions and i would still just want to go home every day to get away from the job

and i am afraid of trying something or getting some training for a year then finding that i cant do it
nursing programs, i was looking at them, a vocational nurse takes 1 year, registered nurse takes 2, but right now i cant afford the tuition.. but if i knew for sure i wanted to do it i would try to get a loan, but the problem is that i am not sure that i want to do it.. so i dont think it makes sense to try to take out a loan for a program that might not get me anywhere, and i would actually make more money doing other jobs like waitressing for 5 years than paying to train to become a nurse than getting a job as a nurse over the next 5 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment