Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 3,826 times

Advertisements

I love so much your response. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 04:14 PM

408 posts, read 394,656 times
Nicole, a couple of pages back, you said something about nursing, but not being sure if you really wanted to commit to the training or something like that (I think). I had major surgery a few years ago and was in the hospital for two weeks; during that time, my wife and I got to know many of the nurses on the ward and how things worked in their job.

From what the nurses told us, they worked three twelve-hour shifts a week, and they would also work one weekend a month (I don't recall if that meant one more shift or two). Consequently, several of them held down second jobs or did volunteer work, since they had quite a bit of down time in their lives. We also found out that some of the nurses drove in from as far as 250 miles away for their work shifts, and that there were many little nurse co-op groups that would collectively rent a house or large apartment, stuff it with beds + a single couch and TV, and that's where they'd sleep when they came to town for work.

Again, I don't recall exactly what your issue was with nursing, but if you could get that kind of gig, it seems to me that you would have plenty of time for things other than work.

Another job that might be like this is flight attendant, but I don't know a lot about it; my wife used to know a lady who was married to a male flight attendant, but they moved to another city that worked better with his regular flight schedule.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:25 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,335,749 times
The therapies (SLP, OT, PT) are flexible careers, have great pay, and different environments (school, clinic, nursing facility, hospital, etc.).

Here are some of the high demand careers that I can think of:
Speech-Language Pathologist (my career path)
Occupational Therapist
Physical Therapist
Audiologist (extension of SLP-requires Ph.D. or Au.D.)
Software developer
Physician assistant
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA)
Registered Nurse (RN) *new grads are having trouble finding jobs
Nurse practitioner (NP)
IT (information technology) Analyst
Accountants
Actuary
Elementary school teacher
Special education teacher
School psychologist
Financial Advisers
HVAC technician
Pharmacist (Although, according to the kids on Grad Café, they can't find a job)
American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter
Translator
Database Administrator
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Most of the engineering degrees

Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,444,908 times
The OP hasn't been on since Sept. 8. Although it would be interesting to know if she's really trying to do something about getting a job.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
The OP hasn't been on since Sept. 8. Although it would be interesting to know if she's really trying to do something about getting a job.
I repped her and told her to check the thread again b/c I gave her a list.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:36 AM

37,819 posts, read 41,130,318 times
How about something in research? What I liked about research is that there is a beginning and an end to every project, so once you finish one you can be doing something entirely different with the next one. Keeps you from being bored.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:47 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,246,246 times
Sigh...these threads in "work and employment" by hapless youth are such post-bait. They all follow the same pattern, and they're all equally irresistible to those of us with wisdom to burn. That said, I can't help myself!

OP, you basically spend all your time online and consuming media, and you'd like to be paid for doing the things you'd be doing anyway. Welcome to the club. The problem is, contrary to what your generation has been told from birth, no one cares about your "passions"! All the world cares about is what you can deliver.

Now the curious thing is, I bet if someone had interviewed Perez Hilton (to mention a successful blogger name checked in this thread) about his employment prospects before he hit it big, he probably wouldn't have sounded too excited about being a computer programmer, or a nurse, or a sales associate, or whatever boring thing the rest of us do to pay the rent.

The difference between him and you is maniacal focus and dedication and indifference to anything but success. (and an enormous amount of luck). This is what separates the winners in all the high-glamour positions from the 99.99999% of people who fail to make it.

Your generation has been ill prepared for harsh reality, because you've been sold a bill of goods by the internet/fame industries. Everyone is not a star. Everyone does not have some burning passion in them which would enable them to do something great, if only they'd follow it.

What everyone does have are hobbies and interests and things we'd rather be doing than working.

In short, get a job, any normal, real job. It will be boring, won't pay as much as you'd like, and will expose you to all the humiliations and power struggles that dealing with other humanoids always entails. You'll be criticized and sometimes you'll hate getting up in the morning.

Then, once you can support yourself, do your blogging in your spare time. Like the rest of us.

Good luck.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Sigh...these threads in "work and employment" by hapless youth are such post-bait. They all follow the same pattern, and they're all equally irresistible to those of us with wisdom to burn. That said, I can't help myself!

OP, you basically spend all your time online and consuming media, and you'd like to be paid for doing the things you'd be doing anyway. Welcome to the club. The problem is, contrary to what your generation has been told from birth, no one cares about your "passions"! All the world cares about is what you can deliver.

Now the curious thing is, I bet if someone had interviewed Perez Hilton (to mention a successful blogger name checked in this thread) about his employment prospects before he hit it big, he probably wouldn't have sounded too excited about being a computer programmer, or a nurse, or a sales associate, or whatever boring thing the rest of us do to pay the rent.

The difference between him and you is maniacal focus and dedication and indifference to anything but success. (and an enormous amount of luck). This is what separates the winners in all the high-glamour positions from the 99.99999% of people who fail to make it.

Your generation has been ill prepared for harsh reality, because you've been sold a bill of goods by the internet/fame industries. Everyone is not a star. Everyone does not have some burning passion in them which would enable them to do something great, if only they'd follow it.

What everyone does have are hobbies and interests and things we'd rather be doing than working.

In short, get a job, any normal, real job. It will be boring, won't pay as much as you'd like, and will expose you to all the humiliations and power struggles that dealing with other humanoids always entails. You'll be criticized and sometimes you'll hate getting up in the morning.

Then, once you can support yourself, do your blogging in your spare time. Like the rest of us.

Good luck.
Another generation basher...

Old 10-05-2013, 11:04 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,680,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
Do NOT become a nurse or teacher. Those are not careers that you simply fall back on.

You sound depressed with your lack of motivation and confidence. I would seek out a therapist or at least go to a doctor and be evaluated.

Maybe check out becoming a librarian on a college campus. It involves dealing with people, but in limited social circumstances and nowadays, it involves more technical computer skills. It might be a good fit.
I agree. OP, you sound depressed.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:49 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,246,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Another generation basher...
A prerogative earned with age, experience and wisdom. I was bashed in my day, and I'm damned if I won't bash in turn. Deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment