Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 AM

19,906 posts, read 12,197,448 times

Advertisements

If you are self-employed, I suspect you will have problems with your employee.

At 28, I would recommend you pick a job and stick it out for six months to a year. You are creating a pattern of failure/running from situations. If you stick out a job that you do not like it will put a fire in your belly to find a true direction. Right now you lack the skills to be a good employee and you lack the drive of an entrepeneur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 AM

993 posts, read 1,565,975 times
It's not going to pay your bills, but have you tried submitting your previous blog work to be considered for a position as a regular contributor to a popular website? There are lots of sites these days that range in issues from technical knowledge, pop culture, comedy, and social justice that hire writers as regular contributors to the site.

Again, it won't pay your bills, but you could at least be doing something that you like while gaining recognition and padding your resume.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,095,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoler09 View Post
probably cause im just typing what comes to mind and i didnt proofread it, where was my grammar bad?
Seriously?

No punctuation, no capitalization, poor sentence structure, etc.

But, hey, if your main goal is be less than average, then I guess you're on track!

Old 09-08-2013, 01:11 PM

329 posts, read 461,748 times
I would look for a job outside USA and travel the world.
We need plenty of engineer like you and who speak English.

Try Asia.
Life is good there.

Don't stay in USA. Usa is finished...

Old 09-08-2013, 01:12 PM

219 posts, read 332,987 times
Quote:
i know my interests are all over the place
i think that i could do teaching or nursing even though.. its not what i am "passionate" about
engineering, is very broad an it depends on what type, some of my courses were physics related
im not very good at hands on things, i looked into sound engineering but i dont think i could do it because of the hands on aspect, where you have to set up the equipment, i see that is handled by men mostly
if sound engineering was just using the computer to mix sounds maybe i could do it, also it would be difficult to be successful because the film industry is difficult to get into and im sure that there are much more qualified and hard working people than me
i think that i wouldnt have much motivation to excel.. and i would just be average in whatever it is in my career. i am not passionate about having a career but is anyone really, most people hate their jobs it seems. teaching, nursing, engineering, i believe i could do them, even if they require different skills.. i may not be the best nurse but maybe not the worst either.. maybe just average but average isnt bad.. or a bit less than average but not the worse but still within an acceptable range i guess
but they are not my passions and i would still just want to go home every day to get away from the job

and i am afraid of trying something or getting some training for a year then finding that i cant do it
nursing programs, i was looking at them, a vocational nurse takes 1 year, registered nurse takes 2, but right now i cant afford the tuition.. but if i knew for sure i wanted to do it i would try to get a loan, but the problem is that i am not sure that i want to do it.. so i dont think it makes sense to try to take out a loan for a program that might not get me anywhere, and i would actually make more money doing other jobs like waitressing for 5 years than paying to train to become a nurse than getting a job as a nurse over the next 5 years
nicoler09, your defeatist mindset will never allow you to succeed. Part of my job involves interviewing premeds for medical school admission. It is my job to evaluate whether an individual has the necessary aptitude, maturity level, motivation, and moral character to succeed in their careers. Although you are not applying to medical school, if I was an employer, I would not hire you based on what you have shown me so far.

By completing an engineering degree you probably have the aptitude and you have at least shown some classroom discipline. Your problem is your motivation.

As emigrations and others have pointed out, you may never find a career that completely fulfills you. Millions of people work jobs they hate just to pay the bills. The more consistent and better paying jobs usually require some sort of financial/time investment. Teaching requires you to be self-disciplined and organized as you will have to manage classrooms of students. Nursing usually involves a lot of shift work and working a lot of shifts you may not want to work.

Have you ever done Myers-Briggs typing? We did this in college and it was pretty accurate for me. You take a test to determine your personality type and it gives you a list of careers that are suitable for your personality type.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 PM

255 posts, read 713,154 times
Do NOT become a nurse or teacher. Those are not careers that you simply fall back on.

You sound depressed with your lack of motivation and confidence. I would seek out a therapist or at least go to a doctor and be evaluated.

Maybe check out becoming a librarian on a college campus. It involves dealing with people, but in limited social circumstances and nowadays, it involves more technical computer skills. It might be a good fit.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,599,754 times
Quote:
i would be happy if i could work for myself and just pay the bills and not be negative.. but i dont know if its going to happen any time soon
so i guess i am trying to find a job and field now that can pay the bills

but i dont know what i could do that at least i wouldnt be complete torture

i would prefer something that requires a college degree, i feel like if it only requires a high school degree then theres no reason they would take me
even a college degree im not so sure
i tried to apply for some jobs but.. dont hear back most of the time
many people are looking for jobs and its very difficult to find something
Ugh, my god, without trying to be mean, you're being a real baby about it. You are not going to be able to figure out some perfect job that you love when you have never worked. It doesn't work like that. Sounds like you'll be lucky to get any job at all. Instead of trying to imagine a job field, just find a place where you like the people. Most of the time it's the people who make the job, not the work itself. I've had some really torturous jobs - waitressing, teaching - and some really great jobs that I loved - waitressing, teaching. Same job, different place and people. I've loved all kinds of weird jobs and hated others only because of the working atmosphere. You have no idea what career you want so forget about it and try to find a place where you like being around the people. Then you will like going to work no matter what you are doing.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:42 PM

35,218 posts, read 31,549,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
Do NOT become a nurse or teacher. Those are not careers that you simply fall back on.

You sound depressed with your lack of motivation and confidence. I would seek out a therapist or at least go to a doctor and be evaluated.

Maybe check out becoming a librarian on a college campus. It involves dealing with people, but in limited social circumstances and nowadays, it involves more technical computer skills. It might be a good fit.
I'll dispute this for teachers. Many people I know who have become teachers have done so simply for the weeks off, pensions, and tenure. With so many fields in this economy being heavily staffed by temporary workers with no benefits, and with the general instability of the labor market overall, becoming a tenured educator is a wonderful fall back position.

I've had a few exceptional teachers, a few really crummy ones, and a lot of average ones. Many of the average teachers I knew also had a side business and teaching was their way to earn insurance, a pension, and vacation benefits. Few careers allow the flexibility to run a side business (all holidays off, ~two weeks off at Christmas, ~two months off in the summer, a week off for spring break, high stability once tenured, straight days environment) like a teaching position does.

If the OP can't decide on anything and wants a stable career, becoming a math or science teacher is an easy way to average, have stable employment, and never have to worry like most of us in the private sector have to.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:16 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,956,993 times
Quote:
I spend a lot of my time watching tv series, movies, hollywood, I tried to start a gossip blog but it hasn't been successful, and I only got $1/day after spending 5-10 hours+ a day on it consistently for a couple months.
Turn off the TV. Get it out of your HOUSE.

Go to some career counselor or something and get your head out of HOLLYWOOD. They're all a bunch of morons anyway - what could you POSSIBLY be thinking about regarding hem 24/7. Sounds like avoidance problem to me. A deeper issue than "job counselors" can fix. Maybe depression or something.

And why in God's name would you want to be a nurse if it's "not your passion" when you could be ANYTHING including an engineer that's not your passion either. ewwwww.

Gurl. You remind me of my kid insisting he was going to make a career with the WWF.

Time to grow up. But I give you PROPS for self assessment. I kept waiting to hear you blame other people and you didn't!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:35 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,546,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
This is not a job/career issue but a work ethic issue. It sounds like you want to make money without doing any substantial work that is worth paying for. .
I agree.
There are moments I truly love my job and feel accomplished and happy.
Most of the time it's just drudge work.
Sometimes I outright hate it (what it's become more than the act of doing it).

But that's just life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment