Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:09 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,684,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoler09 View Post
i didnt think it was ok to arrive late but it got to a point where i had no motivation to do the job, it was a computer job and all day id be at the computer and wanting the day to be over so i can go home
i guess im not surprised that i was fired

maybe if its an online business, im ok to email people ad maybe try to sell something online but i cant do it in person

im willing to learn skills for self employment but i dont know how this can be learned, like there isnt really a degree and you cant go to school for that so i thought that you have to have a talent for business, i dont know
I hate my job and always wait for the day to be over as well. Heck, I even considered drowning my sorrows in alcohol just to deal with my crappy job. I don't have the option of quitting because I have bills to pay. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with it until something better comes along.

Go back to engineering. It is great money and beats the heck out of fast food. You could always work on your blog on the side and pursue your passions in your free time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 07:14 AM

629 posts, read 1,722,725 times
Just because you got a 'B' in your film classes doesn't mean you shouldn't do that if it's what you're passionate about.

My brother majored in film (no idea of what his grades were) and after doing that he moved out to NYC with literally nothing more than a suitcase. (and this wasn't 30 years ago or anything, it was less than 5 years ago) He started pounding the pavement, got a job driving a van ferrying film production supplies/equipment around to different locations in the city, worked his ass off, asked for more responsibility, etc. and today he's an assistant editor on a very well regarded cable television drama.

Figure out what you really enjoy and then start looking for careers that relate to that. It's not as simple as 'do what you love', you may have to tie into it peripherally but my brother's example and millions of others out there show that it can be done if you're willing to work hard enough for it.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,719,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
Just because you got a 'B' in your film classes doesn't mean you shouldn't do that if it's what you're passionate about.

My brother majored in film (no idea of what his grades were) and after doing that he moved out to NYC with literally nothing more than a suitcase. (and this wasn't 30 years ago or anything, it was less than 5 years ago) He started pounding the pavement, got a job driving a van ferrying film production supplies/equipment around to different locations in the city, worked his ass off, asked for more responsibility, etc. and today he's an assistant editor on a very well regarded cable television drama.

Figure out what you really enjoy and then start looking for careers that relate to that. It's not as simple as 'do what you love', you may have to tie into it peripherally but my brother's example and millions of others out there show that it can be done if you're willing to work hard enough for it.
The OP doesn't have the motivation to pull this off. She's not looking for a job; she's looking for a hobby but one that isn't too hard, and pays well. Except she has no specific interests. Good luck on that.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,739,030 times
It just seems like you're 28. Get a job and become an adult. Don't think that because you have a college degree, it means that you are above doing anything for money. I have a college degree in finance. I began my office career by working as a file clerk, taking staples out of paper and redacting documents. And I wasn't above doing that. You are entitled to NOTHING.

I have a friend who started a gossip website and makes 170K per year from ads and employs people to write for it. However, he was great at web design and is good at business related decisions. He would have been successful at anything. Same with my brother who owns his own business (valet company). He is good at making decisions. These are qualities that are hard to learn and teach others when it comes to having an entrepreneurial spirit. Being your own boss does take a lot of hard work and stability is not necessarily a given.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 AM

629 posts, read 1,722,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The OP doesn't have the motivation to pull this off. She's not looking for a job; she's looking for a hobby but one that isn't too hard, and pays well. Except she has no specific interests. Good luck on that.
Ahhh that's what I get for only reading the first two paragraphs before hitting the reply button.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:55 PM

Nicole - have you thought about teaching math through the school year and blogging during the summer since you enjoy it?

Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 PM

421 posts, read 880,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I'll dispute this for teachers. Many people I know who have become teachers have done so simply for the weeks off, pensions, and tenure. With so many fields in this economy being heavily staffed by temporary workers with no benefits, and with the general instability of the labor market overall, becoming a tenured educator is a wonderful fall back position.

I've had a few exceptional teachers, a few really crummy ones, and a lot of average ones. Many of the average teachers I knew also had a side business and teaching was their way to earn insurance, a pension, and vacation benefits. Few careers allow the flexibility to run a side business (all holidays off, ~two weeks off at Christmas, ~two months off in the summer, a week off for spring break, high stability once tenured, straight days environment) like a teaching position does.

If the OP can't decide on anything and wants a stable career, becoming a math or science teacher is an easy way to average, have stable employment, and never have to worry like most of us in the private sector have to.

Being an average teacher is also incredibly easy. You use the same lesson plan year in and year out.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Lots of people don't like their jobs, and lots of people feel tortured going to work. It's called "work" and not "pleasure" for a reason. If you can find something you love to do then great, do it. But if you can't, you still have to do something and you don't have to like it. It's called being a grown up. Just get a job and keep it and show up on time, and eventually you'll probably figure out what you want to do and find something you like better. Until then, just work like the rest of the world.

The OP doesn't have to do something if she doesn't want to.

Are you bitter that her situation allows work to be not essential like it must be for you?

Old 09-10-2013, 07:07 AM

What do you mean she doesn't have to do something if she doesn't want to? Most people have to work in order to afford the life that they truly want, to be able to have children, own a home, travel.

As far as we know, as complete strangers to this girl, she could be independently wealthy, but that doesn't really seem to be the case. It could also be that her parents help her out when she needs it, which might make more sense because people need to be able to pay for their bills somehow.

I don't think it is bitter to tell someone that it is called work and not pleasure for a reason, because I really feel as though my generation (similar to the OP's) has been coddled to "follow our dreams" and that everyone is great at everything, gold star for trying!! This has led many of us to believe that we are entitled to work that is fun, meaningful, everything. When really, part of being a well-rounded person is acknowledging that sometimes work can be a little bit of those things, but isn't always everything all at once so we can choose to volunteer, have a family, participate in the community. Passion's are great, but I also think she is too close-minded that she must be her own boss without realizing that being your own boss isn't easy either. It's a high-stress environment where everything is dependent upon you and things can change in an instant. My brother in law ran a valet company in TX with contract bids with a few restaurants and a hospital. One day, the hospital asked them to re-bid and they lost the contract. Shortly after, he lost the contracts to his restaurants through no fault of his own. Now, he has to either find a job or work hard to get other bids in the area, but working for yourself isn't this magical land of no work. You have to work harder!

I read some of the things the OP has said and I think she should get screened for depression. I think there is a problem there when you can't hold a job, show up hours late, and don't do the things you need to do to keep from being fired. It's not that hard to not get fired. Maybe it is not that she is not fulfilled with her job or passionate about work, it could be that she is not feeling good about life and blames it on work.

Honestly, though, I can't see of a single person that would be bitter that their position is not like hers. I'd rather be a responsible human being taking care of herself. Anytime someone has mentioned something for her to do, she has always said "that will be torture and I will get fired." Seriously!! That attitude is just rotten. If you have bills to pay, you put up with things that you may not really want to do in order to pay the bills. It's part of being an adult where everything is not sunshine and rainbows anymore. Sometimes, the things you feel passionate about may not even be the things you're good at! Work, pay your bills, come home and do the things you're passionate about if it's not work.

Personally, I lucked out and love my job and have loved something about every job I've held whether it be becoming friends with coworkers, enjoying what I was doing, or learning something new every day.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:55 AM

Maybe she doesn't want to own her own home or have children?

I also hate that everyone seems to get a gold star for trying, but it sounds like the OP would be average in any job she chose, so why should she pick one she hates?

And yes, everyone is entitled to a job that is fun and meaningful to them. Everyone has some type of interest that they enjoy and that always translates to work elsewhere, considering someone is producing the content they are consuming.

I don't think I ever suggested working for yourself is no work. I want my own business too and find it to be a lot of work, but all of it is meaningful when it is for you. I don't think the OP should have her own business either, since she doesn't seem to care genuinely about anything. Everything with her is "whatever." I can say I would certainly not hire her. There's nothing to like about her. But that would be the same attitude I would take towards her even if she was fresh out of high school. Age means nothing to me. So her sitting home isn't harming her employability one iota.

No, I don't think being part of an adult is doing things you hate just to pay the bills. Screw the bills. Live on the street then. Don't let your attachment to material objects make you hate every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment