Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,978,288 times

Advertisements

That's a trick question because the places I'd love to live in, I'd hate to live in because of the politics. Like Monterey and further North.

I'd say somewhere totally different (for me) like Montana, Utah, Wyoming or Idaho or something. But it gets cold there.

The gig would have to be working from home. Then go for ALL of them sequentially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 05:06 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,396,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Hawaii, even at the risk of losing the change of seasons and potential Island Fever. A job in the travel industry would be pretty nifty.
In my 25 years I have lived in:

Wisconsin
New york
Nebraska
3 cities in Iowa
Florida
3 cities in Texas
Alabama

Where I want to live is far different than where would be practical for me to live. My dream would be like Denver or Lake Tahoe or Northern Cal or somewhere like that. For employment purposes I will most likely end up somewhere like Houston, even though I like Austin and San Antonio more.

If there's one thing ive learned, I'd rather make 3x as much living somewhere thats so-so to me as opposed to the less amount living somewhere else. I can make sacrifices in where I live (within reason) as opposed to monster cuts in pay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-17-2013, 05:25 PM

764 posts, read 1,427,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Home to Oregon, stuck in NE GA due to collapse of real estate market and still nothing is selling in my area.

NE GA would on my list. Specifically Rabun County.

Can I ask what it is about the area you don't like?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:28 PM

769 posts, read 980,030 times
I have lived on the east coast my entire life. I have traveled many places for work.

Worked in Downtown Boston for a few years. Enjoyed it but the traffic was painful.Taking the train in from Worcester was ok BUT I had to be at the train station at 6 am.

I worked in central Mass which was a decent job.

I moved to the DC/MD area and lived there for 10 years. I worked in the hickville part MD.There was a decent way of life but not much to do.

I moved to Charleston in June on kind of a whim. Moved here. I do like SC. In Charleston it is kind of expensive. The beaches are 15 minutes away, drive two hours out to some serious horse country. I have family down in FL which is 4 hours away. I can drive a couple hours to the mountains. The only negative is that I really don't have a support network here. It leads to some lonely weekends. I am starting to get out more but also work a lot. I am subbing myself out on extra work so that I can travel more.

I am still deciding if I want to stay in Charleston for longer than a year. I may move to MD again but still have some decisions to make.

My deciding factor is:

Quality of Life - What there is to do. I hae a horse and enjoy riding in my off time.
Safety for single women - I am not counting on meeting anyone anytime soon that would keep me some place.
Job Market for what I do.
Cost of Living

Where i used to live was a 2 hour drive to an airport. Which made traveling a pain. now I am 10 minuites.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
houston is a big red flag on my list, i have plenty of friends/colleagues in the oil business that live there and the few trips ive made there i was screaming to get out...although i enjoyed the weather and my friends (maybe just not enough time there but the traffic alone killed it for me).

ive been around the block a few times, its sort of funny but at first i imagined a new place and how happy it would make me, oh how wrong i was. it wasnt the place it was myself. you can adventure in any parts of this country and enjoy yourself, i think for me it really just depends on the weather, but because i like changing seasons and minor snowy winters, i do enjoy STL
Yeah I totally understand about the traffic - and it appears to be getting worse due to a lot of people moving here. It doesn't help that my house backs up to a major freeway either. If you're in oil and gas or medical or engineering, it's probably a great place to be. Lower end, service type jobs, tech support not so much in my experience.

If you like changing seasons and minor snowy winters, then Houston isn't the right place for that. It does have a lot of other things going for it, but I'm like you with the weather and wanting less congestion/traffic.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:39 PM

I'd choose the Blue Ridge/Appalachian Mountains, PNW, maybe coastal California (north of San Luis Obisbo), Colorado, and possibly New England. All this being in a perfect world where I can actually afford to live in said places and make a nice living.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:44 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,396,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post

If you like changing seasons and minor snowy winters, then Houston isn't the right place for that. It does have a lot of other things going for it, but I'm like you with the weather and wanting less congestion/traffic.
Have you lived in Houston?

I lived in southwest Houston for a while. (A mile south of the 610 loop)

I could get to work 28 miles away (far east Houston) in less than 35 minutes unless there was an accident. It was about 5-10 minutes longer getting home.

Granted, I went in at 7 AM and got off at 5.

I found the NW part of Houston to be worse for traffic. Even on the weekends I typically found you could get anywhere around the 610 loop in around 45 minutes unless there was a huge event, construction, or an accident.

Just some observations from my experience there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,978,288 times
OH, and NYC for sure (but I already have done that). EVERYONE should live there at least once in their lives!

Old 11-17-2013, 06:09 PM

44,038 posts, read 44,817,139 times
San Diego as I love the weather of Southern California and I would be living closer to family but not too close for comfort.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:44 PM

615 posts, read 1,386,453 times
There are many factors to take into consideration:

The main factor being do I already have a job at the location of my choosing?
If yes how much does it pay?
How secure is the job?
How high is the cost of living?
Will my overall lifestyle and savings be better or worst than what it is currently?
What are my entertainment and social options?

I am a gentleman in his mid-twenties, I would love to live in NYC, San Francisco, or someplace in Hawaii. I currently live in Chicago where the cost of living is already high, I can't imagine having to pay more to live without a substantial pay raise.

Hypothetically, if I got a secure job offer that pays 2-3 times what I am currently earning along with a golden parachute, I will probably move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment