Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:46 AM

29,839 posts, read 24,942,627 times

Advertisements

Where would you go? And please... Be a little more creative than N. Dakota

I'm thinkin of buying a map. I'll put one hand over my eyes, and use the other to randomly place my finger on that map. If it lands on somewhere like Mississippi, I'll allow myself a do over... If it happens a second time, I'll take it as a sign from god and roll with it.

I'd like to try something new and exciting. It's a big country, and Americans receive puny vacations. I figure, if I want to see some new sites, this would be the way to do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 01:32 AM

533 posts, read 1,113,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If it lands on somewhere like Mississippi, I'll allow myself a do over...
LOL! I swear the deep south isn't that bad!

I think I'd move to Mobile, AL, New Orleans, LA, or Savannah, GA. If I was feeling super adventurous I'd pick somewhere in northern California maybe?

Oh, Raleigh, NC is another place I really liked. And pretty much all of Tennessee (except Memphis). I also like north Georgia up around Lake Lanier. Oh, and the Lake of the Ozarks in MO.

But I've also always wanted to go to the northwest... Or maybe Maine.

Any state that's shaped like a box/rectangle or is called "Ohio" or "Michigan" you can pretty much cross off my list.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:50 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,402,765 times
Texas

Old 11-16-2013, 04:20 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,352,056 times
In 1999, I found myself unemployed. I wanted another shot at employment with a railroad, which is very demanding on your time (because in operating jobs, you can be called on two hours notice) but pays extremely well (you can break $100K in your second year on the job). Both of the two remaining Western carriers are headquartered in Omaha, with large facilities in Lincoln and North Platte, NE, and Council Bluffs, IA, so I packed up and went exploring.

I arrived in Omaha on a Sunday Morning, knowing absolutely nobody, went to work as temp on Thursday, and had a temp-to-hire lined up within two weeks. Didn't get the railroad job, but given my age (50 at the time) I viewed that as a longshot anyway,

Granted, Omaha is about as far from a trendy "bi-coastal" environment as you can get, and it has (and expects) a strong work ethic. But it does have all the amenities of any city of a similar size (pop. 425,000 / Metro 875,000). It worked out for me at the time, and built up my self-confidence when the help was needed.

And Kansas City is about a 2-hour drive if you need a real "major market".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-16-2013 at 05:14 AM..

Old 11-16-2013, 05:31 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,187,845 times
South Orange County California: Jobs, high tech, bio tech, low unemployment, perfect climate, excellent schools,, masterplanned commbities, beautiful homes, cultural diversity, geographical diversity, universities, beaches, mountains, healthy lifestyle, close to LA amenities.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:46 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,371,949 times
Home to Oregon, stuck in NE GA due to collapse of real estate market and still nothing is selling in my area.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:06 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,552,450 times
Just shoot for houston. -Jesus

Old 11-16-2013, 07:40 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,744,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Just shoot for houston. -Jesus
houston is a big red flag on my list, i have plenty of friends/colleagues in the oil business that live there and the few trips ive made there i was screaming to get out...although i enjoyed the weather and my friends (maybe just not enough time there but the traffic alone killed it for me).

ive been around the block a few times, its sort of funny but at first i imagined a new place and how happy it would make me, oh how wrong i was. it wasnt the place it was myself. you can adventure in any parts of this country and enjoy yourself, i think for me it really just depends on the weather, but because i like changing seasons and minor snowy winters, i do enjoy STL

Old 11-16-2013, 07:42 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,308,373 times
New England, probably Rhode Island. The problem is the high cost of living, all kinds of taxes, corruption, etc. A realistic start over place is the DFW area. There seems to be a lot of job opportunity, a reasonable cost of living and housing prices are very reasonable (unlike New England and RI).

Old 11-16-2013, 07:50 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,453,888 times
I would want to move back to the New England area. (I grew in Western MA, my hubby grew up in CT.) We would love to move to the Providence, RI area or the Boston area.

However, that being aside I would love to get a job also in Portland, Oregon or Denver, CO. Two places I have are beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment