Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:50 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times

Advertisements

I am so glad I saw this thread. I have always had good luck in buying with ebay and have considered selling on it as I am a pack rat and need to clean out. Don't think so. I think Craigslist is the way to go. Not as much exposure but less hassle.

I wish more sellers and buyers would post on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,175 times
I've been selling since 2004. Garage sale stuff, clothes, collectibles.

I tried to buy something on Craigslist once but the seller and I could never find time to meet. PITA.

We're moving so I'm selling off the collectibles for a fraction of what the market would bear ten years ago. I think it's the current economy, personally. Collectibles and antiques just aren't commanding prices they used to.

I take my money and run. What I lose on the sale I will save by not having to move it. I enjoyed these things for 22 years, best it goes to someone who will love and enjoy it as much as I did.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:18 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
So you are a millionaire
no im not a millioniair nor did i claim to be. you lack a basic understanding of business. just because i do 200k in sales doens't mean i make 200k a month. i make 8-10 percent margins after paypal/ebay fees and figuring in cost of product. then i also have additional fees such as packaging materials, advertising, etc. add to that paypal holds a quarter of my profits from every sale so over the course of 90 days i have over 150k tied up. im skating by im not rich, to be honest i really cant even pay myself for what i do because of the paypal holds but eventually ill hit a mark where paypal just holds an escrow amount and doesnt take all my profits

Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 AM

^^^ So you are making $40,000.00 forty thousand a month after your fees and cost of goods?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:04 PM

257 posts, read 684,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Over the years I have bought and sold a ton of stuff on Ebay but won't sell anything on there again. They have simply gotten so greedy that they end up making more profit than me. By the time you add up the listing fees, final value fees, Paypal fees, and (one that I NEVER understood ) shipping fees, their bite of the apple is HUGE. How they can charge you a fee on something they have no involvement in whatsoever, shipping, is beyond me.

My Son just listed some things there and they closed at $ 300. The chunk Ebay took was $ 80 when it was all said and done, and then he had to pay the shipping costs to UPS out of that. There is also the fact that Ebay gives no protection or rights to the seller, but they protect the hell out of the buyers.

Nope, I am done with them and only buy on there now, if even that.

Don
What was it he sold? Ebay final selling fees top at 10% (most categories, not familiar with auto) and listing fees are pennies if not free so I dont see how ebay took $80 out of $300 sale. Not possible

Old 11-20-2013, 12:07 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,492 times
I never make money on ebay. Due to the rising shipping costs its harder to make a profit unless you sell in a niche market, high volume, light weight, and have a bulk postage rate. The last few things I sold I lost money on after shipping and called it quits.

Also there seem to be more and more scammers on ebay that know ebay favors the buyers. One time I sold an item and requested tracking (as usual.) The postal employee *forgot* to update the shipping status. I know for a fact that the person received the item because they left feedback. However when they noticed the delivered status wasnt updated they put in a claim that they never received it. Ebay ruled in their favor. I was out 60 bucks.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:34 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
^^^ So you are making $40,000.00 forty thousand a month after your fees and cost of goods?
No, for past few months been making about 18k-20k a month. Some products I make better margins on than others. the of course some of my ebay customers im able to get off ebay and only have to pay paypal fees and not ebay fees on top of it. Just recently had to raise prices because I couldn't stay in business iwth the paypal holds. I basically had to raise prices so that my holds are my profit and so that I'm not losing money on every sale. I also found a cheaper supplier so should be able to stay in business. This is the problem with paypal and ebay though. WHe a good portion or majority of your business is dependent upon a third party comapny its dangerous because a chage in fees or tos could mean the end of your business

Old 11-20-2013, 12:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
No, for past few months been making about 18k-20k a month. Some products I make better margins on than others. the of course some of my ebay customers im able to get off ebay and only have to pay paypal fees and not ebay fees on top of it. Just recently had to raise prices because I couldn't stay in business iwth the paypal holds. I basically had to raise prices so that my holds are my profit and so that I'm not losing money on every sale. I also found a cheaper supplier so should be able to stay in business. This is the problem with paypal and ebay though. WHe a good portion or majority of your business is dependent upon a third party comapny its dangerous because a chage in fees or tos could mean the end of your business
Yeah definitely. Anytime you have to rely on other companies there is a risk.

The best of course is to have the most control , but most companies don't go that route because it's both very expensive and inefficient.

Even huge companies that can afford to build factories for example still outsource. For example Apple outsourcing to FoxConn in China.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Holy cow, what are you selling? I would take that in a heartbeat!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:00 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Not sure if this is the proper forum to post this thread.

Anyway, I am a part time ebay seller, ebay business is a side business which generates pretty good income for me. Several years ago, I could be able to make anywhere between $2000 - $5000 / month, but now, I list the same amount of stuff and can only be able to generate $1000 - $2500/month. It still is considered to be pretty good income for a side business. Plus, I only need to work 2 hours a day, 4 days a week. I don't need to rely on this business to pay bills, thanks God.

What have you been your experience selling on ebay? Do you think it is still worth it? Thank you.
You used the terms interchangeably. Do you "make" $1000 to $2500 per month in sales or is that your net after expenses to buy the stuff you sold and listing fees?

I think eBays best days are over. Too much competition, too many listing fee increases and too many scams and hassles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment