Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM

11,148 posts, read 10,721,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Did it ever occur to you that this may be why you rarely stayed at the same company for more than 2 weeks?
No, it was the nature of the business. Clients didn't typically use us for more than a 2 week stretch, as the entire purpose of the business was to provide employees when they were short-handed due to extra work, illness, or vacation. Some companies used us long-term, but they were few and far between and usually led to the employee being hired on full time and the company buying out the contract. In fact, I left the agency for 2 years because I was hired on at one of my clients. After new management came in and the pay structure was changed to something that can only be called questionable, I went back to the agency - which welcomed me with open arms and had me working the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,543,602 times
I worked for a temp agency. They were awesome. I held the position for 2 years and the company that contracted me wanted to move me to full-time.

It think it all depends on the agency and the businesses that use them.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:07 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
In the cases I stated, the temp agencies are not billing their clients lowball rates for the services of these temps. And in the market, the perm jobs are still paying much much higher than the temp rates so how are you telling me the problem is with the job themselves as being of low value and the people working in them are in bubbles if the perm salaries are still the same but it's only the temp rates that have dropped steeply? Don't believe me? Ask mschemist80 the difference between his/her temp and perm rates of pay. Look at the pay rate for a contract temp attorney in NYC versus a first year corporate attorney in NYC. Look at ads, even the temp to perm ads for exec assists for perm and temporary work in NYC.

So are you saying that the temp service should pay you 100% of what they get from the company. then in that case, the recruiter and the agency make $0 an hour. You do realize that temp services are in business to make a profit.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:09 PM

763 posts, read 2,606,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I worked for a temp agency. They were awesome. I held the position for 2 years and the company that contracted me wanted to move me to full-time.

It think it all depends on the agency and the businesses that use them.
This one falls under the "Good Agency" category.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:32 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,442,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
So are you saying that the temp service should pay you 100% of what they get from the company. then in that case, the recruiter and the agency make $0 an hour. You do realize that temp services are in business to make a profit.
No the temp employee should be paid on a level greater than a comparable direct employee or given comparable benefits and the agecy should still have sufficient markup for their payroll costs and a modest profit. If that were the case people wouldn't object as much. Instead the agencies and their clients are seen as a sleezy conspiracy to defraud workers of fair compensation. A form of labor abuse.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
No the temp employee should be paid on a level greater than a comparable direct employee or given comparable benefits and the agecy should still have sufficient markup for their payroll costs and a modest profit. If that were the case people wouldn't object as much. Instead the agencies and their clients are seen as a sleezy conspiracy to defraud workers of fair compensation. A form of labor abuse.

If the rate is low, then it means they're not getting much from the client company. Don't blame the agency, blame the client company.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:52 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,442,993 times
Quote:
If the rate is low, then it means they're not getting much from the client company. Don't blame the agency, blame the client company.
The rate the temp gets is set by the agency. The client may be squeezing the agency or the agency is just as likely lowballing the worker.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:55 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,380,381 times
Quote:
Or it means they are trying to F you.

As i mentioned earlerier.. Last summer I was finishing up a job and got a call from a company paying like 40/hr and 600/wk per diem. I told them I also had interviews scheduled the next day with other companies. They said if they are going to submit my resume to the clients I need to commit to them that I will be available. So I did, they clients liked my resume. I got interviewed and hired. I called the other companies and said I was no longer available.

Then the head head guy of the contract company called me that night to go over the details. All of a sudden after committing the pay dropped $4/hr and the per diem dropped $100/wk.

I was beyond pissed. Blatantly obvious since I turned down other jobs they thought I'd be okay and not that mad. They wanted a LOT more money in their pockets.

I chewed that guys ass out beyond belief. Ive never dealt with such crookedness. Told him I was calling the other jobs back and hung up.

10 mins later he called back and I got my pay back. What a POS move.

Then after a few weeks I got the vibe they lied about the project duration. So I called and threatened to quit that week unless thwy brought me on full terms. I was killing it work wise so they did.

I had MUCH better experiences with other places. They are not all perfect

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-27-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Or it means they are trying to F you.

As i mentioned earlerier.. Last summer I was finishing up a job and got a call from a company paying like 40/hr and 600/wk per diem. I told them I also had interviews scheduled the next day with other companies. They said if they are going to submit my resume to the clients I need to commit to them that I will be available. So I did, they clients liked my resume. I got interviewed and hired. I called the other companies and said I was no longer available.

Then the head head guy of the contract company called me that night to go over the details. All of a sudden after committing the pay dropped $4/hr and the per diem dropped $100/wk.

I was beyond pissed. Blatantly obvious since I turned down other jobs they thought I'd be okay and not that mad. They wanted a LOT more money in their pockets.

I chewed that guys ass out beyond belief. Ive never dealt with such crookedness. Told him I was calling the other jobs back and hung up.

10 mins later he called back and I got my pay back. What a POS move.

Then after a few weeks I got the vibe they lied about the project duration. So I called and threatened to quit that week unless thwy brought me on full terms. I was killing it work wise so they did.

I had MUCH better experiences with other places. They are not all perfect

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

In your case, they were trying to low ball you. I can agree. They've tried to do it to me too. However, if every company was offering you a low rate, then that would mean that there isn't anymore money to make than what you're being offered. That's my point.

MsChemist is making it seem like these temp agencies get a big mound of money, and then just trying to short hand the worker. In reality if ALL agencies are doing it, then that must mean that the client themselves aren't paying the agency much. Again agencies are VERY competitive, and if one agency knew that every agency was low balling you, then that agency would offer more than it's competition. The reality is, no agency WILL do that because they CAN'T do that. The reality is they aren't getting much money to work with period.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:56 PM

763 posts, read 2,606,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The rate the temp gets is set by the agency. The client may be squeezing the agency or the agency is just as likely lowballing the worker.
Which in 9 out of 10 jobs temp agencies place people into, is the case. The worker will be paid, e.g., $10.00 an hour. The agency is billing the company/client $20.00 an hour for use of their employee. Two people in this triangle are getting screwed over -- guess who isn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment