Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:55 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Holy crap....how do I get started? Lol
our youngest here is 27yo, making the same money. Some get lucky like that. I tried hiring fresh grads and training them before but the success rate is maybe 10:1. The rest of us just tried to stick to what we have and ride the 3rd party software until it dominated the market and not enough vetted people to fill the jobs across the country. Ive seen (indian)people fake resumes to get in, and actually get on board successfully
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 12:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
our youngest here is 27yo, making the same money. Some get lucky like that. I tried hiring fresh grads and training them before but the success rate is maybe 10:1. The rest of us just tried to stick to what we have and ride the 3rd party software until it dominated the market and not enough vetted people to fill the jobs across the country. Ive seen (indian)people fake resumes to get in, and actually get on board successfully
LMAO! No shyte! There's a whole industry based on that. They hold the H1b visas, do some training, write the resumes (full of lies to show 5-7 years experience when you have no experience in reality), and prepare you for interviews. In return, the company gets a big chunk of your pay from the contract jobs you get from agencies since they hold the visa. See all the companies doing it here and what they offer:

Tech Jobs Training|IT Jobs Training & Placement|Technology Jobs Training

PS: Many of the Indians fail several times and get fired a lot; they rarely get on board successfully the first time.

PPS: They will take US citizens too. You pay for the training class and you have to be willing to be a total liar. It can work just like it does for the Indians.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
IT is a grind. I'm sorry I didn't listen to my parents and apply to law school. They also work long hours, but at least it's a profession that doesn't get sent to India for the lowest bidder like some cheap commodity.
Wanna bet?

The American Bar Association approved legal work being done offshore by people who weren't educated in American law schools or passed the bar in this country. What are American attorneys and law firms facing now? Stiff competition from legal service bureaus. Yeah, they used to do the scut work of discovery, document review, etc., that new associates used to cut their teeth on FOR the law firms on the sly and the law firms would pay them cheaply and mark up the fees and pass it on to the clients, now they are going after the law firms' clients directly OR the clients are waking up to what the law firms are doing and not paying the big markup. Look up Pangea3 of India for example. That's just one of hundreds. There's thousands more coming.

It's a very bad time to be a new attorney in the USA and has been for the past several years. Many are unemployed directly due to the commoditization of the work the new attorneys used to do in law firms. Expect more to come. I won't even get into the software advances going on.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:39 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
LMAO! No shyte! There's a whole industry based on that. They hold the H1b visas, do some training, write the resumes (full of lies to show 5-7 years experience when you have no experience in reality), and prepare you for interviews. In return, the company gets a big chunk of your pay from the contract jobs you get from agencies since they hold the visa. See all the companies doing it here and what they offer:

PS: Many of the Indians fail several times and get fired a lot; they rarely get on board successfully the first time.

PPS: They will take US citizens too. You pay for the training class and you have to be willing to be a total liar. It can work just like it does for the Indians.
Thanks for your candor, appreciated, rep'd.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:02 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

That is the truth. As I've been trying to tell people in here *just get in the game first* and then work a bit on not being one of the guys getting canned for bad performance, with the 'work-life balance' stance, or the 'no-pay no-OT stanc'e and all other 'slavery' whining or someone else is to blame for their career choices

Old 12-04-2013, 02:17 PM

40 posts, read 36,136 times
I skipped from page 1 to page 7, so my apologies if the conversation has separated somehow from the original question.

In regard to the OP's original question; I was living in a very rural area of northwest Ohio and had completed most of an associate's degree in CIS, but was unable to finish. There are virtually no IT-related positions in the area to begin with, so having no degree was a big detriment.

When I finally had the chance to move to an urban environment a couple years ago, I jumped on it! Getting away from rural Ohio was the best thing I've ever done, career-wise. I had no degree and no proof of skills, just that I had attended college for a short while, knew basic troubleshooting, and had decent enough people skills to get by. With all of that being said, I knew I had to start at the bottom, and was able to land a helpdesk position. I only made $9 an hour, but I got my foot in the door and that's exactly what I wanted.

I'm now, 2 years later, working at a fortune 500 company as an analyst, supporting many different applications, and making a decent wage doing so. Nowhere near what I would expect if I had completed college, but I believe I've been able to accomplish a damn good amount with only two years in the field and no degree or certifications.

I believe the key for me was getting to an environment in which there are actually available positions, even if you do have to start at the bottom of the bottom. That initial experience will open the doors for you to grow, build references, and specialize in certain aspects of IT if you choose to.

And for those chasing the high salaries: My brother has no degree as well but his interest in virtualization technologies (and being very, very intelligent) landed him a position with VMWare making WELL over 100 grand a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment