Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 09:35 AM

545 posts, read 1,488,047 times

Advertisements

I started in IT in the early 2000s. I actually missed the heyday of IT by a few years. In the late 90s and pre-9/11, it was common for people with no experience and just certifications to get into the field and make $40-50k per year right away. I don't have a degree. I was about a year shy of getting it (in MIS) when I started working. I started doing help desk type work and worked my way up to Sr. Systems Admin.

If you already have a degree, I think you can still get into the field without having a degree in CS or MIS as long as you can get some basic certs like A+ and maybe Network + and don't mind starting out on a help desk. You won't make a ton of money there - say $13-15 per hour, but it'll get you in the door and that's the most important thing. The help desk should be a springboard to something else. Most should move up to a different position after a year or two. Use it to figure out what part of IT you'd like to pursue: desktop support, networking, server admin, etc - then work with the higher level guys in that area to learn more. Most higher level guys are willing to help the front line people learn more because it takes the load off of them. If you prove that you're competent and willing to learn, you'll get a good reputation and will move up.

As far as moving around to other companies, it hasn't been too difficult for me but I think that's mostly because of my skill set and years in the field. You may have to put in some time at one place before you can move somewhere else - say 5 years. Just make sure you actually enjoy IT before you take the plunge. There are many that go into it thinking it's a good field to be in but end up hating it because of the help desk work. In any event, good luck and keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 10:55 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,554,487 times
in Business IT, its better to start with a non-IT degree. Almost all industries have IT so you can get into IT with accounting/finance, healthcare, defense, electronics etc. coding is easy too, if you want to be a programmer. It's better to have a degree so you can specialize in a sector. if you only want a job, get certifications. if you want a great pay then specialize

Old 11-29-2013, 11:02 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,131,941 times
A friend of mine dropped out of college, recording engineer, and taught herself computer mumbo jumbo and is making 75k a year from home with amazing benefits. No degree, and she's fighting off employers. She's doing it for a government run medical center near DC.

I'm too much of a big f'n hammer guy to do computers or I'd be trying to do this.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:32 PM

166 posts, read 446,753 times
I'm curious as to what your recommendations would be to someone with no IT background who would like to change careers to become a business systems analyst? It sounds like trying to get into IT and working up from there would take a long time. Would you recommend getting a few certs to try to get your foot in the door? What about for someone with a only a liberal arts degree?

Old 11-30-2013, 02:48 AM

180 posts, read 379,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1917 View Post
I'm curious as to what your recommendations would be to someone with no IT background who would like to change careers to become a business systems analyst? It sounds like trying to get into IT and working up from there would take a long time. Would you recommend getting a few certs to try to get your foot in the door? What about for someone with a only a liberal arts degree?

I did that....skip certs and just get a tech job.....a CCNA would be the best. a MSCA pr Red Hate certificate might be a good runner up.

Experience counts for 20x more than mere certs.....anybody can cram a certificate test.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:37 AM

209 posts, read 292,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's also one of the easiest ways to change careers. Get a job at a company (in a different department) that has the type of job you really want. Once you're inside the company, get to know the IT people, network, volunteer for projects, use your tuition reimbursement to take a few classes so you can throw that on your resume and make an internal, lateral move.
You do make some good points in this post. I do know of one person who broke into IT doing this very same thing. He's now the IT Director for a small office building. However, he did this before the current economy set in.

My personal experience has been very different. I'm one of those mid-life career changers. My background has been working in heavy industrial maintenance, mostly specializing in control systems. Since starting in the industry in the 80's, I've seen the control systems move from being Unix or VMS based to Windows based. Because of that experience, I was exposed to desktop and server support in a trial by fire type of thing. I learned that stuff the hard way.

As the years went on, I chose to go back to school part time to get a BS CIS. I am now four weeks away from completion. The best I've been able to do was land a paid internship working as a help desk technician. The only interviews I can land are exactly as that: a help desk technician. No one will hire a fresh CIS grad as a junior apps developer or programmer without having the requisite 2 to 5 years of experience.

What I'm competing against for even basic help desk jobs are kids who are accustomed to making $7.50/hr. at the local market. They think $10/hr is top dollar. I can get a lot more than that at the warehouse down the road driving a fork lift. On top of that, what I'm seeing is that the majority of IT jobs being advertised for are contractor jobs. No bennies. Nothing.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:44 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,530,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
You do make some good points in this post. I do know of one person who broke into IT doing this very same thing. He's now the IT Director for a small office building. However, he did this before the current economy set in.

My personal experience has been very different. I'm one of those mid-life career changers. My background has been working in heavy industrial maintenance, mostly specializing in control systems. Since starting in the industry in the 80's, I've seen the control systems move from being Unix or VMS based to Windows based. Because of that experience, I was exposed to desktop and server support in a trial by fire type of thing. I learned that stuff the hard way.

As the years went on, I chose to go back to school part time to get a BS CIS. I am now four weeks away from completion. The best I've been able to do was land a paid internship working as a help desk technician. The only interviews I can land are exactly as that: a help desk technician. No one will hire a fresh CIS grad as a junior apps developer or programmer without having the requisite 2 to 5 years of experience.

What I'm competing against for even basic help desk jobs are kids who are accustomed to making $7.50/hr. at the local market. They think $10/hr is top dollar. I can get a lot more than that at the warehouse down the road driving a fork lift. On top of that, what I'm seeing is that the majority of IT jobs being advertised for are contractor jobs. No bennies. Nothing.
I wasn't even half done reading your post, and I was thinking "The OP lives far away from the big cities that have the good IT jobs". Then I looked at your location and it says Maine. IMO, you will need to move (or work/travel for work) near the larger city/metro areas in order to break into the field. Think Boston if you are in Maine,since that's probably the closest bustling city.

The problem with smaller city areas or more rural areas is there aren't that many large corporations. And these are the big IT employers. The smaller towns usually have slim pickings for IT work and the pay is often much lower than the big cities. New IT folks need to be near where the employers are...Fortune 500 companies and even mid-size companies.

But also you should look at all contract jobs in order to get some experience, especially since you can buy health insurance via open market now. Also realize that lots of contracting firms offer health insurance but they don't subsidize your premium. But's it's usually available if you pay the full amt. But you might be cheaper getting a policy via ObamaCare if you need to get insurance.

As far as paid holidays and paid vacation. You can forego that while you gain some experience. You should also consider a contract job that you have to travel. Make sure pay for the travel.

Also start looking at all area hospitals and school boards and any city/town/county gov web site. They often have jobs listed only on their sites and they often hire junior developers.

IMPORTANT: In the first 1-2 weeks of January of each year, you will see the volume of IT job postings increase dramatically. Often double to triple in volume. This is because many companies hold off hiring until the new year. Have your resume ready and make sure you apply to these positions within 1-2 days of the postings. Some of the good postings will get filled quickly.

Check withyour school's career placement. You might have to set an appointment with their advisor or whoever helps students with job placement. Pick their brain and ask all kinds of questions. There might be some relationships with area employers and possibly some HR contact names that can help you.

Last edited by sware2cod; 11-30-2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old 11-30-2013, 08:17 AM

209 posts, read 292,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I wasn't even half done reading your post, and I was thinking "The OP lives far away from the big cities that have the good IT jobs". Then I looked at your location and it says Maine. IMO, you will need to move (or work/travel for work) near the larger city/metro areas in order to break into the field. Think Boston if you are in Maine,since that's probably the closest bustling city.
Thanks a lot for your reply. You're right. My wife and I have discussed leaving the state. However, my wife also originally came from Boston. She's told me many times over that she has no intention of ever returning.

In my case, Portland does have a solid tech community. I've targeted my search in that area knowing I'd either eventually be relocating to that area, or, doing a one hour commute. Neither situation actually bothers me. I'm very open to both.

What does bother me, however, are those employers complaining that our state universities are not producing enough IT graduates to fill their rosters. As a result, those very employers are "forced" to seek entry level candidates from out of state. We have a program here in Maine called "Project Login". The intent is to double the number of IT graduates over the next ten years. However, I've attended three of these Project Login events. I've met with several area employers. About 50% of those employers, the very folks recruiting on a college campus mind you, say that they simply will not hire at the entry level. Um, if there's such a dearth of IT graduates to begin with, why aren't you hiring those folks? Does that make any sense?

Quote:
But also you should look at all contract jobs in order to get some experience, especially since you can buy health insurance via open market now. Also realize that lots of contracting firms offer health insurance but they don't subsidize your premium. But's it's usually available if you pay the full amt. But you might be cheaper getting a policy via ObamaCare if you need to get insurance.
I don't think ObamaCare will help me here in Maine. We're one of those a$$ backwards states that have banned the minions from buying health insurance across state lines. An insurance policy for my wife and I will run about $1500 per month. There's no way in hell I can afford that on a contract job.

However, I would not rule out a travel job. In fact, I might just like such a position. My ideal would be to work at a position where I could do some basic code maintenance, some basic scripting, then work up from there.

Quote:
As far as paid holidays and paid vacation. You can forego that while you gain some experience. You should also consider a contract job that you have to travel. Make sure pay for the travel.
Thank you for this piece of advice. I like the idea of moving around for contract jobs. That at least gives me an idea of what's available out there and what areas are decent to live in.

Quote:
IMPORTANT: In the first 1-2 weeks of January of each year, you will see the volume of IT job postings increase dramatically. Often double to triple in volume. This is because many companies hold off hiring until the new year. Have your resume ready and make sure you apply to these positions within 1-2 days of the postings. Some of the good postings will get filled quickly.
I never knew this. Thanks a lot for telling me. Maybe I just need to wait a few more weeks before giving up altogether.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:39 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,882,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
What does bother me, however, are those employers complaining that our state universities are not producing enough IT graduates to fill their rosters. As a result, those very employers are "forced" to seek entry level candidates from out of state. We have a program here in Maine called "Project Login". The intent is to double the number of IT graduates over the next ten years. However, I've attended three of these Project Login events. I've met with several area employers. About 50% of those employers, the very folks recruiting on a college campus mind you, say that they simply will not hire at the entry level. Um, if there's such a dearth of IT graduates to begin with, why aren't you hiring those folks? Does that make any sense?
There is a glut of IT workers nationwide (as is the glut in many other fields), particularly in large metropolitan areas. Those who cannot find good jobs in the cities will inevitably look for work in your state and come rushing into the open arms of your employers.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:55 AM

989 posts, read 1,880,280 times
IT was wonderful back in the 1990s for people without a college degree. Many more jobs back then, and a college degree was not something employers were so hung up on requiring of their applicants. What was needed were people who had some skills, and could do the work. It's not the same anymore. The applicant pool is huge, and most people now have a degree. Going into IT today with a college degree is already very difficult. I would suspect today that it's brutal for new people to enter this field without a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment