Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
I like statistics, anything that have to do with research and analysis, cultural exchanges and ancient history. The type of business I would like is an international organization dealing with tourism and investigation.
How would you start this business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 11:22 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I could care less if a business owner is outgoing or not. Competence and good service have nothing to do with being out going. I care more about the product than than the personality of the owner. A jerk is a good owner however obviously but Im not looking for a new friend when I go buy something
While that is true, the problem is how do you find out about a company or product if the owner is not out promoting and telling people about it? that is one of the biggest problems i see with business owners, is they have trouble raising money and getting loans, while also have trouble promoting and getting their product out there.

take my computer guy, he really knows his stuff, my little brother who runs a network for the government recommended him to me as I needed a computer guy and was not making much at the time, and he was been struggling and would come cheap. Since that time I have gotten him 5 clients, on his own he has gotten 1 client. You see he is terrible at talking to most people, just not an outgoing person and will not start up a conversation with anybody he does not know, and he has constantly struggled to find prospects let alone close the deal due to that. Once you get to know him he is a good guy, but how does he build his business if nobody knows how good he is?

Old 01-24-2014, 12:06 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
How would you start this business?
Well it has to first start with a small business that will eventually grow over the years. I can start running a small call/internet shop and go on from there.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:23 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Well, I recently read a very interesting article. In it, it was stated that too many people whine about income inequality. It went on to state that--rather than whine about it--people should embrace the reality and learn to look for, and create, businesses which cater to wealthier peoples' needs.

Along those lines, then, how can you take what you know and what you want to do, and pitch your services to more wealthy clientele? Contact travel agencies, do actuarial freelance work for international insurance agencies--you get the idea.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
While that is true, the problem is how do you find out about a company or product if the owner is not out promoting and telling people about it? that is one of the biggest problems i see with business owners, is they have trouble raising money and getting loans, while also have trouble promoting and getting their product out there.

take my computer guy, he really knows his stuff, my little brother who runs a network for the government recommended him to me as I needed a computer guy and was not making much at the time, and he was been struggling and would come cheap. Since that time I have gotten him 5 clients, on his own he has gotten 1 client. You see he is terrible at talking to most people, just not an outgoing person and will not start up a conversation with anybody he does not know, and he has constantly struggled to find prospects let alone close the deal due to that. Once you get to know him he is a good guy, but how does he build his business if nobody knows how good he is?
The owner is a biased source so I don't need to hear him pumping hot air which is not credible. I go word of mouth, from someone I find not a reference he might give me. Outgoing has nothing to do with knowing he is a good business person with a sound business. The more outgoing someone is the more I suspect lack of substance and competence. More often than not the more hot air the less competence is my experience.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 PM

280 posts, read 350,486 times
Quote:
I've always had very few friends and not really an outgoing woman. However, I'm tired of never getting promoted nor working for the business. I know several people younger than me that already were promoted. I don't want to forever be at entree level, doing something that hardly requires any skill at all.

I figure if I'm never going to get promoted then I'll create my own business. Does this mean I have to be very outgoing and have excellent skills in convincing people (my father is more natural at that then me). This is where I'm lacking and always have but I want to go for it anyway; I believe I can learn anything that doesn't come out natural because it's just about practice. I want to be a motivational leader at my business.

I'm tired of hearing about successful people every day while I'm just a student (I'll be done towards mid of 2015) and regular worker.
The best way to prepare to be a business owner is to fully develop yourself as a professional. Do not feel bad about your situation. What are you getting your degree in? Where are you going to school?

Plenty of people in our generation are graduating as non-traditional college students and going-on to do great things. There is no reason why you cannot do the same. Starting a business takes developed business acumen, what can be better than having an employer pay you while develop the skills you need to be successful.

Running a successful business will probably take a huge amount of energy and work. If you have never been promoted, you would want to make sure that you are prepared to do everything necessary for your business to be successful. I do not mean to judge you, but in entry-level jobs employees that excel are usually promoted.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:28 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
It depends what kind of business you have.

Whoever owns City-Data doesn't have to be outgoing to be successful. He could be a hermit who lives in his mother's basement for all we know.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:44 PM

84 posts, read 138,671 times
Quote:
I'm working at a verification call center from home. I've been doing nothing but calling people to ask if they requested insurance quotes and if they did, tell them an agent will call them. It's a manual (luckily we don't have an automated dialer and it's us dialing from an electronic internet phone) 1-2 mins call from home.
A call center that lets you work from home? On the one hand, I can see the appeal of working from home, but doesn't that get a little socially isolating never seeing co-workers? I've worked at a call center for a number of years and the only useful thing about it (besides the paycheck) is being able to talk to and meet a wide variety of different people that work there. If they tried to make me work from home I'd just quit and do anything else, even fast food.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:49 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Nebraska Native View Post
A call center that lets you work from home? On the one hand, I can see the appeal of working from home, but doesn't that get a little socially isolating never seeing co-workers? I've worked at a call center for a number of years and the only useful thing about it (besides the paycheck) is being able to talk to and meet a wide variety of different people that work there. If they tried to make me work from home I'd just quit and do anything else, even fast food.
To each his own. Personally, I'd give anything not to have to deal with co-workers.

I enjoy socializing with people who actually mean something to me, not random strangers in an office.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:34 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
I like statistics, anything that have to do with research and analysis, cultural exchanges and ancient history. The type of business I would like is an international organization dealing with tourism and investigation.
The type of business you are talking about, is not a small one person shop. It will take considerable money, to get it up and running. You would need money to carry it without an income for up to 5 years, before you are breaking even and you would draw a paycheck. Before you try for something like this, you need to learn how to be outgoing, and get strong into networking.

All new businesses take a period of time that you feed them with money, before they break even and even longer before you can draw a paycheck. Type of business you are proposing, is going to be one of the longer ones before it breaks even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment