Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 05:19 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,592 times

Advertisements

IRS has the reputation within the Federal workforce of being long on work responsibilities and short on grade/promotion opportunities. It's an excellent path if you plan to work a few years and then go private, but otherwise there are much better agencies to work for in the Federal scene. JMO. (35 yr. Fed, happily retired).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 05:58 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,537 times
OP worked for the IRS for 2 yrs and it's a great place to work. But like someone posted the expect their EMPLOYEES to be in total compliance with tax filing and they will check every yr. I have seen folks walked up out of there cause they didn't file or pay their taxes two yrs ago, or last yr, etc.

Great benefits like most govt agencies. U can go to usajobs and search IRS and yr city to find jobs.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 7,368 times
Hey! Can you tell me how long after you interviewed did it take for them to call you with the job offer? :-) Thank you!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:08 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbottles View Post
Im Currently Looking Into Working For The I.r.s. I Sent Off For An Information Packet Because They Are Hiring In My Area. I Was Wondering What Entry Level Jobs Will Be Available To Me? And If Anyone That Works For The I.r.s. Could Give Me An Overview Of Their Experience That Would Be Great. Thank You!
I don't mean to be petty but I always wonder why some people capitalize every word in a sentence but the then one word that should be capitalized, (IRS), isn't.

Just curious. Seems like it would be a ***** having to constantly shift while typing. Why do it?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:04 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
CPA and law firms love former IRS employees because the know all the tricks with the tax code.
This isn't true. Well at least for larger, more prestigious law and accounting firms.

The reason is that IRS revenue agents and lawyers typically are way too specialized. You might know plenty about certain areas of the tax code while at the IRS, but lack a broad range of skills needed in private practice.

90% of IRS operations have no real value to private accounting and CPA firms (i.e. payroll tax, small business, individuals that aren't rich, tax-exempt organizations, etc.), so you aren't real marketable unless you specialize in the few areas that corporations and firms will pay big bucks for advice like international tax.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,442 times
Was there are IRS job offer or posting withdrawn within the past year?

Old 03-18-2010, 07:33 AM
na2

1 posts, read 6,385 times
Hello,
I just applied for the Tax Compliance Officer position and wanted to know how do someone prepare for the Online Assessment Test? Thanks.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 12,677 times
I also applied for the tax compliance officer position.
I actually have a friend who just got hired as a revenue agent and he said it took about a couple weeks to send the assessment and that it was fairly easy if you know the basics of accounting and tax. Let me know when you hear from them =)

Old 03-31-2010, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 12,677 times
Did you get hired as a tax compliance officer?
I applied recently =)

Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM

470 posts, read 1,162,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrollla View Post
Did you get hired as a tax compliance officer?
I applied recently =)
I just got hired as a TCO this past month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment