Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:59 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbottles View Post
Im Currently Looking Into Working For The I.r.s. I Sent Off For An Information Packet Because They Are Hiring In My Area. I Was Wondering What Entry Level Jobs Will Be Available To Me? And If Anyone That Works For The I.r.s. Could Give Me An Overview Of Their Experience That Would Be Great. Thank You!
Can you operate a Remington 870?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,342 times
Congratulations!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:46 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbottles View Post
The government corrupt? You don't say? Yeah im a little worried about working for the devil. I still wanna have friends. Thanx for the info guys. I just want a decent paying job while my wife is starting up her business. But from what i have found it's harder to find a decent paying Irs job with no experience. The ad i responded to said "no experience, paid training." In my job search i have found all these jobs require a college education which i don't have. Im just a high school graduate.I feel kinda stuck. I feel like i wasted $50 bucks on this government Irs package i bought.
I doubt that the IRS would require you to PAY for an application package. Sounds like a scam ...

Old 04-03-2010, 12:59 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
It was definitely a scam.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:48 PM

243 posts, read 1,630,094 times
What's the background check like with the IRS these days...just curious

Old 08-25-2010, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,487 times
But did the IRS drug test you????????

Old 08-10-2011, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,790 times
Default Tco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post
I just got hired as a TCO this past month.

Since it's been over a year, can I have an honest opinion on how it is ... as a TCO?

Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,643 times
Do anyone know if the seasonal employees really have a chance to be brought on permanent? They say you can apply for positions after 90 days but it take at least 6months or more for them to contact you for any position. I applied for a contact rep position in B-more. I am trying to decide if 6 months with the IRS is worth it.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
I worked for the IRS years ago in NYC.

I ended up with the boss from hell, even though I was technically a floater. He was there longer than I had been alive, and I could have had a harassment lawsuit on my hands, but the months I would have spent in arbitration were not worth it.

Here's the thing with working for the IRS unless things have changed:

1. Your background check will take a year and is performed by other government agencies. You are on probation for that entire year. The background check is very thorough. Once you get past the year, it is almost next to impossible for them to get rid of you. I was stuck with said boss from hell because his secretary never showed up to work yet they could not easily fire her.

2. The benefits are great. You get to pick and choose which benefits you want. The downside is you will cry when you see how much taxes and deductions are taken out of your paycheck.

3. Go into the union right away. Yes there are union dues, but the benefits are worth it. Considering how many times I had to contact my rep because of my boss, I probably paid for it 10 times over.

4. The promotions and pay grades only go up relatively slowly. The jumps in salary are not that high if I remember.

5. If you are 5 minutes late, they can dock your pay 15 minutes, and if you get a stickler boss, they will. They are legally allowed to dock your pay in 15 minute increments. If you are 5 minutes late and you get docked an hour, fight it.

6. Most of the agents I worked with were CPAs who were burnt out working in the private sector. Don't be surprised if you see this.

7. You will be overworked and most likely underpaid. Be prepared for that. Long hours are more the norm than anything else.

Any questions, feel free to pm me, I'm sure there's other things I have forgotten.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:52 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,258 times
I think it really depends on the job level, I've applied for Revenue Agent a few times over the years [and am about to find out whether I managed to get in this time] and the pay and promotions are actually really good assuming you make it past the first year.

The lower level jobs [and especially the seasonal ones] are probably more like what you described, although the big thing everyone says about the IRS, or at least the permanent positions, is that you get to just work a straight 40-hour week, you don't have the overtime requirements that you'd get int he private sector. They also have flexible scheduling.

The bad side to that is that you have to be extremely organized and good at managing your time, because you don't have the option of working late or during the weekend to get something done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment