Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2017, 07:10 AM

881 posts, read 619,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
People don't realize that everyone would get UBI. Everyone from Bill Gates to a homeless person.
Indeed. And Bill Gates would just put it into his BMG Foundation charity while a homeless person -- hey, that's me! -- can rent better, eat better, move somewhere else, start a business, write the next Great American Novel, learn data science, directly help out someone else with my time and efforts (as Erich Fromm observed, the worst thing about being poor is not the lack of material goods, terrible as that is...the true horror of poverty is that one can't help someone else -- and it's at the core of our very human beings to want to help; as social animals, we love helping [why people instinctively try to help with directions and other requests for assistance]).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 07:34 AM

639 posts, read 378,234 times
A universal currency is likely after the collapse of the US dollar.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:08 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,305,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
The "universal" part -- the whole point of UBI is that it's not contingent based...like a right, not a privilege; "universal" in its most complete sense.

No, that's the whole point of YOUR VERSION of it. Everything has requirements. You have the right to vote, but you have to register and vote in your precinct. You have the right to carry a gun but you have to do a background check.

You start attaching terms and conditions on it and it becomes a far cry from what it's supposed to be...a bit like what happened in Orwell's Animal Farm: all animals are equal -- but some are more equal than others (it winds up being eventually).
The "terms" would be the same for all.

It absolutely does. You need another administrative layer to oversee and implement this community service element -- thereby adding to the costs of UBI, which will lose you your support from fiscal conservatives and libertarians alike.
Wait, you want UBI because there isn't enough work to do for people and you're complaining because this would provide work to do for the people? Why wouldn't this administrative layer be covered by this community service requirement? Better yet, since you're saying the everything will be automated, why wouldn't this be automated?

And don't forget the disputes...what counts as community service? What if it's against someone's religion, interests, capabilities, whatever??
These programs already exist. You select from a slate of options.

Again, it distorts the intention of UBI and, in the here and now, costs support.
No, it distorts YOUR INTENTION of it.

Admin, admin, admin and thus costs, costs, costs (and we're not even talking about disputes)...do you actually have any experience running an organization??
Probably more than you but what you keep overlooking is we would have a huge labor resource to cover the work and you already have these costs. You're whining about the costs involved in getting work in return for paying people but you're blind to the costs in getting nothing in return for paying people.

I'm not being snarky or insulting -- I really mean it. I don't think you understand the practical implications of what you propose at all.
And I don't think you understand the practical implications of what you propose at all.
Comments in red

Old 12-01-2017, 08:12 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,750,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The point of UBI is get EVERYONE dependent on government. It's an easy way to control the population.
I hate to break it to you, but everyone is already dependent on the government.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
no more figuring out employee health benefits --
So UBI also means Universal Health Care.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:26 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,750,312 times
UBI would probably be implemented after Universal Health Care was already a thing.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:31 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,581,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So UBI also means Universal Health Care.
also need to provide hot meals and a house with ubi

better yet, make ubi a giant prision, the people can have 9-5 to do their hobbies, then they can go back to their regulated housing and get their meals and healthcare provided all by the state

the soviets did that, regulated bread lines, regulated concrete housing, regulated jobs to what the state needed

Old 12-01-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
the soviets did that, regulated bread lines, regulated concrete housing, regulated jobs to what the state needed
The Soviets haven't been very successful under any system.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:45 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,153,546 times
Quote:
Sure they will. Human beings are naturally curious. Most people will want to learn -- only not jsut for a "job" but because it truly interests them...and they will be good at it since it's their love.

Right now, most people in any field of work are only minimally competent because they really don't care for their jobs. UBI will free people to do what they really want to do -- a classic case of economic efficiency.
Probably wouldn't work for society because nobody would want to perform any of the lower paying jobs that are critical for society to function. As a matter of fact, the lower paying jobs are typically more critical than the higher paying ones.

Regardless, it would help me and I'd be all for it.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:46 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,943,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Probably wouldn't work for society because nobody would want to perform any of the lower paying jobs that are critical for society to function. As a matter of fact, the lower paying jobs are typically more critical than the higher paying ones.

Regardless, it would help me and I'd be all for it.
The low wage employers would be forced to pay better wages or automate where they can. Why get out of bed for starvation wages when you can live off of UBI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment