Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 07:30 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times

Advertisements

Interesting that you’d assume that someone posting coherently and in an educated manner on a topic would be a marketing shill. Lol

Also interesting that you think you do everything in your life without relying on the government and on those who came before to insist that the government protect the people. Reminds me of Joe Republican. https://www.democraticunderground.com/10028910945
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 12:51 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Yes these super robots will be able to do absolutely everything, including monitoring the population and preventing "crime". Whatever the government decides. A brave new world.
Not if we strike down the $1 trillion data mining industry. Without that, Big Business and Big Government would be set back many decades on their plot to enslave us.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:30 PM

881 posts, read 616,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I have heard that once these areas fill up with too many expats the col starts to sky rocket just like a little mini USA thus defeating the entire purpose. I think the key is to find areas that have the minimum level of ammenities that you need with the fewest expats. How to determine what areas have too many expats is the million dollar question. I suppose one just has to do alot of traveling or scouring google earth and then researching every region that looks interesting from google earth.
Good point -- as I like to say, by the time Main Street hears about it, Wall Street's already made its killing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I would wager a bet that you are homeless preciesely becasue you live in NYC, I cant even imagine what an apartment costs per month or what the initial purchase price of a condo is there. Do your skills transfer out of the city or do you simply enjoy being homeless, I have heard NYC gets cold so I cant imagine thats fun (shelters or not).
I enjoy the cold -- miss being able to ski!

Skills can transfer out but such skills are rather "niche" (SEO/Amazon/Groupon/Newegg/eBay) and, more to the point, I'm only an intermediate practitioner at best.

And yes, I'm in NYC! High COL but the most extensive shelter system in the country, FWIW.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Homeless Loser, I agree that you are very articulate and well-spoken (or well-written, anyway). I’d be really interested in hearing your story if you ever decided to share it.
Thanks but there's not much of a story, really -- which is why I was afraid I'd make UBI look bad, as it were, since I didn't have a tragic upbringing or anything like that...parents were small-time shopkeepers, we had family vacations of a few days to up to two weeks (once or twice) almost every year for a few years until family problems (infidelity, STDs, some "mafia business") knocked down the roof...I definitely had opportunities (Vassar, Army, etc.) but looking back I didn't realize them for how golden they were (since I was always such a "winner" after all) -- certainly never even heard of globalization and automation changing the '80s TV-sitcom type of mentality I grew up indoctrinated in....

Basically, there's nothing "made-for-TV" here -- just as stupid as a great country like America electing a Manchurian Candidate for President; that's my life...sometimes I wonder whether the country's reflecting my life's trajectory or vice-versa!

Quote:
Also, have you considered writing for pay?
I've actually not only done this but managed others as well (so-called article marketing, back when it was a thing in SEO) but there wasn't ever much money in it and certainly not now.

Freelance? Yes, but no investigative skills. Besides, honestly, "information wants to be free" and even stalwarts like the NYT and Mark Twain's Atlantic are having trouble paying the bills, never mind an individual writer....

And yes I know about self-publishing e-books through Amazon and how others have succeeded there but really writing is not where I will be making a living (nor the pastel illustration skills I'd trained in during adolescence, believe it or not). I have my eye on all the free computer programming and data science courses online -- maybe six to eight months will see me landing better employment next year....

Old 12-03-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
We keep talking about low wage jobs being replaced by technology and in reality it will be much worse than that. We will call a doctorbot when we are sick and our smart phones will send all our medical data. If we have a legal problem we will conference with a lawyerbot. After all most legal issues are very routine. And if we need to go to court, we will be pleading to judgebot...what could be more fair?

It's not just the cashiers and burgerflippers who are in jeopardy!
Indeed -- we should figure out UBI so that when economic conditions really warrant it (as opposed to "merely" imply it) society will be ready to go with course of action that can be implemented pronto!

So my question is, first, what about "freeloaders" who will keep making babies (basically, the overpopulation question) and likely strain the system or who are druggies?

Then, eligibility: what about illegal aliens? Minors? Prisoners?

Next: how about expats -- will UBI apply to people who retire overseas?? ('Cause that UBI would be funding foreign economies, in effect, no?)

Finally, long-term, where such a level of General Artificial Intelligence has been achieved such that even lawyers are replaced (LOL): why would such sentient machines want to do the boring repetitive tasks we ourselves disdain?? Or shall they be programmed, Sisyphus-like, to enjoy their labors (cf. the happy automatic door computer from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!)?

Old 12-03-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Just interesting to see how many people are for handouts rather than work for pay with zero understanding of the strings attached. Look at Pruitt Igoe to see how it all *worked out.* But no one has. UBI was TRIED and FAILED miserably.
Pruitt Igoe failed mostly due to the well-documented long-standing white supremacist federal housing policies of the time as well as the first stirrings of globalization when factory jobs moved out of the city: basically, blacks were not allowed into the 'burbs but the jobs moved out there (indeed, blacks weren't even allowed into Pruitt Igoe until the whites had started moving out first).

Quote:
It's also interesting that there is zero understanding of how gov't works, who is actually in charge, and the role the public plays in *gov't*. The gov't never fixes anything. Anything.
This isn't true; why, the very internet you're using right now to complain about the government was all thanks to the government!!

Quote:
And I also agree that *homeless loser* is very very adamant for this. This topic pops up over and over. It's a testing ground to see how many people will jump on board (forums are used for this marketing purpose by many organizations).
I'm adamantly for it because it's the "fire" or "wheel" or "bronze" or "transistor" of our times -- the single utterly transforming invention that will literally advance human evolution and civilization for centuries and even millennia to come.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:08 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
I think MLSFan is deliberately, even if unconsciously, misconstruing UBI -- the question is why...what would he stand to lose, exactly?

Now if he were some capitalist (even if only petite bourgeoisie like a petrol station owner) or would-be capitalist, I could understand. If he were racist or elitist, I could understand. Perhaps he just likes being contrarian for the sake of being contrary -- it's an adolescent stance but perhaps that's where he's at developmentally. Any other reasons besides those?

Agreed.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:02 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Pruitt Igoe failed mostly due to the well-documented long-standing white supremacist federal housing policies of the time as well as the first stirrings of globalization when factory jobs moved out of the city: basically, blacks were not allowed into the 'burbs but the jobs moved out there (indeed, blacks weren't even allowed into Pruitt Igoe until the whites had started moving out first)..
You are willfully misrepresenting Pruitt Igoe. It was UBI. They were paid and they did not work. The entire place degenerated within two years. It did not need anyone's help to degenerate. It failed on it's own, all by itself.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Quote:
Interesting that you’d assume that someone posting coherently and in an educated manner on a topic would be a marketing shill. Lol

Also interesting that you think you do everything in your life without relying on the government and on those who came before to insist that the government protect the people. Reminds me of Joe Republican. https://www.democraticunderground.com/10028910945
There is a difference between discussing a topic and PUSHING a topic.

And I don't understand your second comment. Are you saying that *I think* the only purpose of gov't is to protect the people???

ALSO: I don't play politics. I will not discuss topics in rep/dem/liberal/conservative terms. I will, however, discuss topics. Don't label people. Politics are the problem. If people only discussed the issues without keeping a score card of whose guy *won* gov't might be effective.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
You are willfully misrepresenting Pruitt Igoe. It was UBI. They were paid and they did not work. The entire place degenerated within two years. It did not need anyone's help to degenerate. It failed on it's own, all by itself.
So now Pruitt Igoe had U.B.I. going on???

Wow...really, I don't even know what to say to you anymore -- "willful misrepresentation," eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment