Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,791,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Frankly, I feel that your intentions are good. But if this act even "Slightly" makes you financially hurt, you should NOT do it. There's going to be many other chances to "Reward" the employees, but if the company ain't doing it, I really see little value beyond a card being sent.

Plus as others have said "You do it once, they may come to expect it always"
Thanks, it won’t hurt me doing something small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 08:03 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,197,249 times
Definitely do gender neutral!!! Same thing for everyone. I like a national restaurant chain card --- even Starbuck's is fine as $30 is not enough for a dinner for 2 at most restaurants. Better to do a Pizza Hut gift card than a restaurant in that $$ amount. Or a movie theater chain gift card -- that might be tricky, though, since you say everyone works remotely and may live far away from a chain theater. A Border's Books can would work since it is online.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2017, 02:26 AM

741 posts, read 592,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Definitely do gender neutral!!! Same thing for everyone. I like a national restaurant chain card --- even Starbuck's is fine as $30 is not enough for a dinner for 2 at most restaurants. Better to do a Pizza Hut gift card than a restaurant in that $$ amount. Or a movie theater chain gift card -- that might be tricky, though, since you say everyone works remotely and may live far away from a chain theater. A Border's Books can would work since it is online.

Good luck!
Restaurants and book stores can be local. This is dicey if the employees all live in different locations. For example, I have a Barnes & Noble bookstore near me, but no Borders. I agree with the poster who said a restaurant gift card may only pay for half of a couple’s meal. As for Amazon, not everyone has an account, which amazes me because I’d do all my gift shopping through them if I could just for the convenience. But I know quite a few people who don’t have accounts, including my brother in law who’s very much part of the 21st century in every other way. I agree that gift cards are best, and the safest gender neutral options are Target, Walmart, Starbucks, Master Card or Visa.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:44 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,273,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I am a first time manager and would like to get something for my employees. I am broke right now, so not looking to spend a lot. I have figured out a great gift for the girls, having trouble for the guys. Any ideas for around $30?
If it were me, I'd simply do something like order pizza for in the office closer to Christmas. No need for individual gifts....especially if you're counting change.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:10 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,279,383 times
Another thing you could do is make a charitable contribution in everyone's name.

I've done that a couple of times - not as a manager giving gifts to my direct reports, but just as a general gift for my team. Sometimes, some people give everyone little token gifts, others don't, and I found it easier to just make a general donation as my token gift for everyone else.

I like giving to Donor's Choose - it supports teacher requested classroom projects, and most people feel good about supporting children. You can give whatever amount and put that it's in honor of the team. If you have a group distribution email address for your team, you can use that email and then everyone on the team gets the updates about the project. Not sure what field you are in, but you can even try to search for something that is related to your field if you wanted, to create more of a connection.

https://www.donorschoose.org/

Old 12-03-2017, 02:23 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,417,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Well, then, be sure you tell him of your wish, and be sure several female employees are within hearing distance. That way you will have a witness or two overhearing your request to your boss so you have proof you asked him when said boss denies you did.
i dont understand?

I like the gift cards and he likes giving them, he always ask, where i like to eat. last years it was hooters. so I ended up with a $50 hooter card.

it was great, got about five free lunches out of it.

couple years ago it was outback, and ruby tuesday

Old 12-05-2017, 12:27 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 6 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,235,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post

Good luck!
Nah, those kind of cards let you enjoy an few extra drinks, or coffee and desert, or some other extra that you wouldn't normally order, so I think of them as 'splurge' gift cards. Love getting them for restaurants I go to.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:53 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,593,819 times
Starbucks gift cards are always a hit!

Old 12-06-2017, 02:49 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,325,296 times
Booze.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:47 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,680,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I am a first time manager and would like to get something for my employees. I am broke right now, so not looking to spend a lot. I have figured out a great gift for the girls, having trouble for the guys. Any ideas for around $30?
I've been reading this thread since its inception, so I'm wondering what you decided to get for your employees? I'm also very curious to find out what the "great gift for the girls" was. Please do tell what that gift was! And also, what you ended up doing for all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment