Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 06:59 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,107,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I felt the same way when I lived in NYC. I moved to a "2nd tier city" (or maybe a 3rd tier city?) and got a 50% pay bump. However, that had a lot more to do about being in a high-demand/low-supply/tough-to-fill position.
That is a pretty common attitude amongst many people in NYC. I certainly had the same thoughts when I worked there. My job was so specific I could not imagine finding anything comparable outside NYC, certainly not for what I was making.

When I did leave NYC, I took a fairly substantial pay cut, although my take home pay went up a tiny amount. Not having to shoulder city and state taxes accounted for most of it. When you take into account the cost of living disparities, my personal standard of liv8ng increased.

A year later I received a promotion which put me back at my old NYC salary level, and it has gone up from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 03:30 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,499,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Nobody said that it was easy, but it is not impossible. The last time I tried it, I did a couple phone interviews and a Sykpe interview and received a job offer without ever stepping foot in the state or meeting anyone in person. So, it can be done but it takes extra effort compared to a normal local job search and it helps to have experience and skills in a field that is in demand. I have no idea where you have been trying to relocate to, but my best luck has been with closely held businesses in large cities.
This ^^
It kind of *sounds like* people are saying it's a "walk in the park", but I'm not getting the impression that that's actually been said. And this is coming from someone who's in the "I won't move to an area unless I've secured a job there" camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The out of area candidate situation is a catch 22. There are quite a few reasons to not hire out of area candidates from the employer's perspective, and many are legitimate. The problem, especially for small town and rural residents not commutable to a job center, is that if employers in the job centers are not willing to hire out of area candidates, you end up with large parts of the country where there are no jobs and from which people cannot escape. At some point, someone has to have the confidence to break the logjam.
These are tradeoffs like many other things:
You have those that are single, with no kids, and do NOT own a house.... these folks have incredible flexibility to relocate, but if they ever need to move away from their new place, they could do so. Contrast that to those who are married with children, and own their house... they need to sell the house, spouse needs to figure out if they can work or SAH, and the school system needs to be decent, along with appropriate timing (for example, not in the middle of a school year). However, once they relocate, they're likely to be more settled in and stay put.
There's really no way to know. Sometimes, both the employer and employee need to take a chance. For me (and some others I've known), we just wanted a f*** job. Being in a nice area could only get you so far if you don't have income. For one place that gave me relo expenses, that REALLY went a long way to show that they were serious about the job being long term. As a protection against those who quit right away, I had to agree to a clause that if I left the company on my own choice or got fired within a year, I'd have to repay them back the relo expenses they covered.
Even if I took up my parents' offer to move back with them, rent free, I'd go crazy at some point. Some of us are rather poor in interviewing and/or aren't that well connected, but just want to get back to working again.
I do know some major metropolitan areas, they have concerns where new prospects underestimate just how awful traffic will be, as well as how high the CoL is. They may even need to sell their cars. In rural/remote/"Podunk", the amenities are quite lacking.. basic, if not semi-luxury, quite boring, and the dating pool is more so a "dating puddle".

Old 03-02-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I don't know anything about TN or NC, but what you describe I would call regional relocation. Moving from rural TN to a mid size city in TN is not the same as moving from rural TN to NYC or Los Angeles. If I was an employer in NYC, LA, Miami, Phoenix, etc. there is no way I would take a chance on a employee relocating from rural TN to be able to adapt to living in a crowded city while getting used to a new job on top of the normal stress of a move. Not saying that someone from rural TN can't do it or that you specifically don't have life experience, I am just saying that playing the odds would make hiring a person in that situation a very risky venture. If you were young and living in the rural area due to a choice your parents made or you spent several years attending college before going back to your hometown, I may reconsider. If an adult willingly chose to move to or stay in a rural area, I would be very skeptical that a job in a large city would work out well for them or their employer long term.
I understand companies have been 'burned', and some of that is from metrics and experience. However, how well an individual adapts to a new area could also tie in with how well an individual ties in with a new work environment.
I use the same lines as suggested in this thread, such as "I have friends here", "be closer to family", but I've also used "white lies" like I'm attracted to the area, want to explore new regions. Much of it isn't verifiable anyways, and AFAIK, they haven't put too much stock into it.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
A lot of people on these threads, complain that they companies are looking for a Purple Squirrel in other words the absolute perfect person for the job. They complain that people like them do not even have a chance at some of the jobs they really want and apply for. Of course they are, and always have done so. Why hire someone, that is going to need a lot of training, when they can find someone that can take over the job immediately.
I've heard counterarguments that employers expect to find people that can hit the ground running, but want to pay them like they're entry level employees. When they have all that knowledge and skills, they'll just go to someone else who will be willing to pay those salaries

Quote:
They complain that the companies do not want to hire someone that needs a lot of training. Of course they don't when the average young person today, only plans on staying with them until they can get trained and find a better job. They feel, why go to the time and expense to train their competitions employees.
Then give them incentives to stay. When an employee has new skills, up his salary so that when he gets poached by other companies, it won't really be an attractive proposition. After all, the market would also say that this employee has more skills and experience. Why would you still deem he's the same employee you hired years ago, or pre-training?
I and many others give our employers reasons to keep us on. Why do they feel they owe us nothing? Business is a 2-way street

Quote:
Employers have to look out for their company, and are no interested in what you want. They have to make the decisions that are less costly to them, and will always go for the already trained local employee as long as they are available.
Again, 2-way street. If an employer can meet conflicts like issues with traffic, telecommuting, other accommodations that can be reasonable, it shows you're flexible enough to meet the demands of your workforce, as well as your clients.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:30 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,508,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The two advantages of an Extended Stay are they will give you a room without a job, and it gives you a local address while you job hunt
Yes, that is true. Believe it or not, that was the plan until I visited. They advertised one rate and told me something completely different when I called. I also did not like what I saw.

There are a couple of apartment complexes that will rent to people without jobs but you need to have the funds.

I explored Airbnb and decided against it.

It appears renting a room in this town is more stringent than renting an apartment. The opposite occurred in my current city. I got a room without a job no questions asked. Renting an apartment was a no go without a job.

I will not take a year lease. Six months is good. Stability is important. Moving to a new city is stressful.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:24 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,491,385 times
I faced this problem during the height of the Recession. So I ended up relocating myself to a metro area with a more vibrant economy, and some social opportunity. I started looking for a job once I got on the ground there.

I think there is something to be said about picking a place to live first, then a job.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:05 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,014,803 times
Metro areas are expensive as hell though. So most of you're money is just going to living expenses.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:09 PM

320 posts, read 2,541,992 times
As a homeowner who would like to move to my birth state closer to family, our solution is going to be to sell our house first, move to the new state and then secure work. If someone is hiring me in another state, they will naturally want me to start fairly soon, and still having a house to unload interferes with that. My spouse is trying to line up work ahead of time, but the packing up of a house is something I need to handle and be available for.

Ps. Being recruited is a different story because the employer is the one reaching out to you, are paying relocation fees, and can structure your start date around you packing and putting your house up for sale.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:36 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,950,698 times
I got a job in California while living in Michigan.
I got a job in Massachusetts while living in California.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:38 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,483,968 times
It should be easier now than ever with the abundance of ad hoc piecemeal jobs like Uber, Lyft, and food delivery jobs through sites like Grub Hub.

I moved across country 10 years ago, amid the Great Recession, and it was surprisingly an easy transition. I worked with some staffing agencies to find me some contract/temp work until I could land a full-time job. All in all, I think it took just a couple of weeks to find a job. It wasn't glamorous, by any means, but it gave me some good experience. After a few years, I moved on to the next endeavor, and the rest is history.

I agree that applying to jobs while not being a local candidate puts you at a great disadvantage. Especially if you're not in a highly vetted position like director level or above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment