Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 07:48 AM

16,620 posts, read 19,865,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
I hear of all the people on CD saying to line up a job before you move, but this is unrealistic. No thanks to podunk areas for me.
Exactly this. I get so tired of everyone saying "Don't move without a job first!" It's very hard to score a job before you move. Very hard. Case in point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:08 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,348,045 times
I have done it multiple times. I never had an issue but I did let employers know up front that I would be available for the standard in person interview process at my own expense and that I did not expect to receive relocation assistance. That puts you on equal footing with locals. Your pool of jobs will be much smaller though, some employers will only hire local candidates no matter what you do..

Old 02-26-2018, 01:31 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,426,026 times
You just really need to emphasize your ties to the area in your interview. There is a slight reluctance to hire someone from out of town simply out of the fear that you'll leave again.

However, if you're interviewing in Dallas because you've tried it everywhere else and have decided that Dallas is where you want make a life for yourself, I think that would allay most interviewers' fears. It's also important to really emphasize that you don't expect any relocation assistance.

I've done it both ways- a company paid relocation and a self-funded relocation. Obviously the company paid relo was easier but I was able to keep my costs down on the self-funded move and it wasn't so bad.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:46 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,765,259 times
I've done it plenty of times. If you are the best candidate, then you'll be selected. I often tell a little white lie and say I'm moving to the area anyways.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:50 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,912,320 times
I was recruited out of my city to another 1000 miles away so yeah it can be done. Never EVER thought I'd be living in Socal...I hope I never have to leave

Old 02-27-2018, 06:24 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,722,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
Any suggestions? Besides a corporate transfer, how did you do it?!!
I moved to a new position in a different city with absolutely no connections whatsoever. At the time I was still employed. I found a position that the company had a hard time filling. In my case, they paid my relocation expenses. However, that might not apply in your case.

If supply for your job is plentiful, they might be able to pick and choose local applicants. Keep in mind that there are less variables in hiring a local person. One simply being... they live there. They know what it is like and are less likely to pick up and leave again.

Another factor could be that interviewers are asking you questions about relocating that aren't answering properly. You might not even be aware of what the questions are. In my case, I had visited the city while on vacation. So I was able to legitimately say "I was here a few months ago and I really liked what I saw and I feel like I need a change of environment from where I live now."

Mind you, from the time I first decided I wanted a new job in a new location to the time I actually landed a job... took me about two years. Albeit, I gave up for about six months. Then I went back to it again until I was successful.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:02 AM

16,620 posts, read 19,865,916 times
LOL And of course 4 people post right after me: I did it, I did it...
Yea, making it look easy. It's NOT.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:13 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,124,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
LOL And of course 4 people post right after me: I did it, I did it...
Yea, making it look easy. It's NOT.
No, it isn’t easy. Just because a few self-selected respondents, including myself, have done so doesn’t mean it is easy.

You need to be in a profession with enough demand to warrant somebody look8ng at your out of town/state resume. While there are many professions tha qualify, many more don’t.

You have to be better than any local applicant.

You have to sell your reasons for relocaing to the hiring manager.

To be fair, the OP asked who had done it. If OP had asked who had not done it, and people bothered to respond, yh3 thread would be much longer.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 AM

35,280 posts, read 31,638,088 times
I somewhat understand the logic behind not selecting someone from out of town because they've never lived there and may leave again. With that said, do we want a society where people are permanently stuck in place?

I moved from Tennessee to West Des Moines, Iowa sight unseen for an entry level job in 2012. I was 25 and stayed there about a year. I didn't care for Iowa, so I left. I moved again in 2014 to Carmel, Indiana. I stayed there close to three years and moved back to Tennessee again. I've been back here over a year now. Am I "unstable?" By some definitions, sure. I like to move around a bit.

People can move at any time for any number of reasons. A friend of mine here in east Tennessee recently sold his business in preparation for moving to Nashville to be closer to his aging mother and other family. If I were to get married and wanted to have children, I wouldn't raise them in my local area. The peer group isn't one that would ensure success. I'd much rather raise my children in suburban Nashville or West Des Moines. Maybe the local economy takes a nosedive. Maybe other family members want to relocate.

It's really not the employer's business why someone wants to be in place A vs. B.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:07 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,124,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I somewhat understand the logic behind not selecting someone from out of town because they've never lived there and may leave again. With that said, do we want a society where people are permanently stuck in place?

I moved from Tennessee to West Des Moines, Iowa sight unseen for an entry level job in 2012. I was 25 and stayed there about a year. I didn't care for Iowa, so I left. I moved again in 2014 to Carmel, Indiana. I stayed there close to three years and moved back to Tennessee again. I've been back here over a year now. Am I "unstable?" By some definitions, sure. I like to move around a bit.

People can move at any time for any number of reasons. A friend of mine here in east Tennessee recently sold his business in preparation for moving to Nashville to be closer to his aging mother and other family. If I were to get married and wanted to have children, I wouldn't raise them in my local area. The peer group isn't one that would ensure success. I'd much rather raise my children in suburban Nashville or West Des Moines. Maybe the local economy takes a nosedive. Maybe other family members want to relocate.

It's really not the employer's business why someone wants to be in place A vs. B.
A mobile society is probably a good thing, but it isn’t an employers responsibility to facilitate this. Geographical location is not a protected status.

Your job history in terms of stability isn’t awful, nor is it great. As an employer I would be forgiving because of your age and presumably developing career, but that tolerance will go away as you become more experienced. Some of this is industry does any however.

As an employer, it may not be my business WHY you want to move, but it is my business to use my resources effectively. Out of town candidates often flake out during the interview stage, not replying to interview offers or not showing up for the interview. Others find that they cannot handle the move and drop out at that stage. Yet others do not successfully integrate with the area and move away.

The bottom line is that out of area candidates are more problematic than locals. Given two people if equal qualification, I will go with the local every time. When I need to hire somebody with special skills I will consider out of area, living with the higher failure rate out of necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment