Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:14 PM

13,027 posts, read 13,927,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It used to be common to graduate college and go straight to a job in another city. And even later in career, take a job in another city. Isn't that the case anymore?
My daughter graduated from college in 2013 in NYC and was recruited into jobs in NYC, San Francisco, Atlanta, Denver and Las Vegas. She went to San Francisco. A couple years later, she was recruited to a job in Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 09:59 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,218,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It used to be common to graduate college and go straight to a job in another city. And even later in career, take a job in another city. Isn't that the case anymore?
Only if you are in demand profession of which their is a shortage in the target city or town.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:38 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,293,795 times
A head hunter recruited me, so it was expected that I would relocate.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:50 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,653,092 times
Why are there still employers hung up on having interviewees physically present in this interconnected day and age? Which decade are they stuck in? When I lived in Indiana, I went to the barber and put on my best suit for an interview over Skype with people in Virginia and before all was said and done, I was moving 600 miles with a job offer in hand.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:50 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,821,228 times
I went through the same thing moving back to Florida even though everyone in my immediate family lived there and I noted I have deep roots in the area. No one would even interview me, even referrals who initially expressed interest in interviewing me unless I moved and became a FL resident again. By the time I moved those positions were filled. I ended up having to quit and relocate without a job. It took me 3 months to get a full time professional job and I didn’t have much salary negotiation power since I wasn’t currently employed to a meaningful degree.

This was without children or other dependents, after which such a movie would be that much harder. It is also unrealistic to fly out to multiple interviews while being employed because it would be nearly impossible to cover up and if there is no direct flight to where you are moving to it gets very time consuming and expensive.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:53 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,402,699 times
Several times but they were all federal jobs. I never cause a delay in hiring by being out of an area. My answer is always "I can move tomorrow" or rather "I'd like to give 2 weeks notice as a courtesy" (they appreciate that). Sometimes they'll let me delay.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:03 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,740,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Several times but they were all federal jobs. I never cause a delay in hiring by being out of an area. My answer is always "I can move tomorrow" or rather "I'd like to give 2 weeks notice as a courtesy" (they appreciate that). Sometimes they'll let me delay.
Yes, I moved last year with the federal government. I also moved within the state a couple of times with state government. They are usually pretty open to hiring people who have or want to move. They are more willing to do phone/Skype interviews, which usually helps.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:30 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,199,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
I executed a corporate transfer ten years ago to a new city. Since then, I've been laid off three times and live in a new city. I'm getting pretty desperate to move. When I lived in Denver and was moving to Dallas, I began applying in Dallas. I received quite a few calls on my resume, but it all quickly ended when they discovered I was not yet a Dallas resident. Told me to reach out to them when I'd arrived. By then, the job was already filled.

I'm finding this to be the case in two other cities I'm applying. I've only heard from one company and they don't want to talk to me after hearing I'm not yet a resident.

How the heck is someone supposed to secure a position in a new city prior to moving? This has only worked for me once, as stated above.

Any suggestions? Besides a corporate transfer, how did you do it?!!
The company I ended up working for contacted me from a resume I had online, and asked me if I would be willing to move.

I said yes.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:31 AM

3,106 posts, read 2,450,646 times
A friend of mine was desperate to move out of California. She had an uncle in Denver, so her husband used his address. When he got a job in Denver, he slept on the uncle's couch until he and my friend had to money to get their own place.

When I moved, my employer kept me on at the office here on a part-time, temporary basis. When that ended, I took a temp job and went through a few more jobs before finding the right one.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:38 AM

3,106 posts, read 2,450,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Why are there still employers hung up on having interviewees physically present in this interconnected day and age? Which decade are they stuck in? When I lived in Indiana, I went to the barber and put on my best suit for an interview over Skype with people in Virginia and before all was said and done, I was moving 600 miles with a job offer in hand.
A move can involve selling your house, pulling your kids out of school, moving expenses, your spouse also needing to find a new job, packing everything up, and then staying at a motel for a while if you don't have connections. Employers don't want to wait a month for someone to move, only to find out it isn't going to happen.

Unless you're in a niche or really out-of-demand field, or the job market is bad, I don't see the point of having a job lined up before moving. You do need to have cash and/or a place to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment