Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:44 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,816,136 times

Advertisements

Network, network, network. Last year my husband lost his job. He applied and interviewed everywhere. He finally landed a job. Two steps down, cut in pay. However he was thrilled! Fast forward two weeks... and the business is being sold. He has no idea if his job is secure.

Anywho... from all the networking he did a contact called him up out of the blue, offered him a job. Networking is key!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:16 PM

251 posts, read 205,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
The often touted 4 to 5% unemployment rate is flat out wrong. The bottom line is that most people can't get jobs and there is a severe glut of workers no matter what the "official" unemployment rate is. No matter how it is spun, if people can't get jobs easily then there are too many qualified people competing for jobs, even if the unemployment rate is declared to be 0%.
Correct-o-mundo

4.5% unemployment - Yet I have had 5 recent college graduates reach out to me on LinkedIN for mentoring on how to get a job after graduation. Graduating class of 2012-2016. Underemployed. If we included all the starbucks baristas with Physics degrees the real rate would be 15%.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:22 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,587,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie_Bunk View Post
Correct-o-mundo

4.5% unemployment - Yet I have had 5 recent college graduates reach out to me on LinkedIN for mentoring on how to get a job after graduation. Graduating class of 2012-2016. Underemployed. If we included all the starbucks baristas with Physics degrees the real rate would be 15%.
Sounds like they are employed where they should be...

What makes you think a physics degree means someone is better at pouring coffee than no degree eat all? Why should some random degree mean success if they can't learn to do a job before walking on stage?

Old 03-02-2018, 04:12 AM

189 posts, read 172,985 times
Quote:
That's not completely true. There are a variety of sales support and order management roles in supply chain organizations across the country.
I work for a supply chain company but I work with drop ships and the 80 plus orders I place all have mistakes because the sales reps don’t enter them correctly. So most orders need to be revised and resent. Nothing is done about this and most people move on to another dept or quit because they can’t handle the stress level. I’m a top employee in my dept. Only one who keeps up on all my work and never is late or calls in....but I can’t get a job in another dept because I’m 43 and they don’t hire anyone over 35. They will hire a person who is late everyday, makes every excuse to call in, and can’t keep up on their work....as long as they are young. They’re isn’t a supervisor over 35 either. Most are about 25. My dept used to only hire people right out of college but they would never stay so they tried some older people. I was one of the only one who caught on to the computer system, work load, and pace. Technically I’m a great worker with very little errors. But I can’t seem to move on.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:30 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,740,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
I work for a supply chain company but I work with drop ships and the 80 plus orders I place all have mistakes because the sales reps don’t enter them correctly. So most orders need to be revised and resent. Nothing is done about this and most people move on to another dept or quit because they can’t handle the stress level. I’m a top employee in my dept. Only one who keeps up on all my work and never is late or calls in....but I can’t get a job in another dept because I’m 43 and they don’t hire anyone over 35. They will hire a person who is late everyday, makes every excuse to call in, and can’t keep up on their work....as long as they are young. They’re isn’t a supervisor over 35 either. Most are about 25. My dept used to only hire people right out of college but they would never stay so they tried some older people. I was one of the only one who caught on to the computer system, work load, and pace. Technically I’m a great worker with very little errors. But I can’t seem to move on.
The issue is still that you are doing what is essentially very low-level work at 43. Most people do gain some job skills as they age and move onto higher level work instead of sticking with the same low-level tasks for two decades with no career advancement. The other departments are probably not looking for the same skills as your department, either. If a person is 95% able to keep up and sometimes calls in (as is completely normal, as people are human and don’t typically have 100% attendance) but has 4 other skills that can be transferred to another department, then the other department is going to pick that person over the person who is 100% able to keep up but has not really demonstrated skills that would be readily transferrable.

I don’t think it’s really a matter of your age so much as you’ve been doing this same sort of work for almost 20 years. Most people want to bet on someone they can see promoting and moving up, and when they see a person who hasn’t managed to move up in almost 20 years, they’re probably going to want to pick the person who is younger and has more time for career development.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:54 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,142,197 times
^^ I suspect that you are right.

That said, I have learned that not everyone wants to advance. Some people are perfectly happy staying in the lower level positions for all their lives, and that's OK. Advancement is not for everyone.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:58 AM

They take people from my dept many times but all young ones.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:43 AM

The thing is, they don’t tolerate tardiness or excessive calling in in other depts, only ours which doesn’t really make sense since we are the busiest dept in the company. We are both in the same dept and have the same skills but they took her over me and she does exactly what they don’t want in that dept.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:17 AM

139 posts, read 102,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Welcome to my world. The old resume after "submit" is hit gets thrown into a black of hole never to appear again. Or least 9 times out of 10. Everything is filtered/automated today OR You have to get around the HR Psychobable mind crew. Theres a million hoops to jump through, even if you're more qualified than any of the other applicants. You could have the best resume, more experience and education and no one would even look at it. Thats the "job search" process today Unfortunately.

Im thinking you most likely have to know someone already at the company who can present your resume directly to the hiring manager so it skips all the nonsense today.

You could have all the education, experience, performance rewards etc.. Doesn't mean a hoot today. By the time you ravage through all the BS, they have already chosen a friend/relative of some manager, even if they aren't qualified at all for the position
I hear you. When I completed my Masters, I applied (both online and via mail) to at least 500 companies. I remember spending whole boxes of envelopes, papers, etc. If I recall, I probably got a call back from ~5-10 companies, and no offers.

Fortunately I was doing the above before my last semester before graduation, so I was able to find a job -
but that was only at the place I was working unpaid. The manager there was quitting, and he basically recommended me to his boss - I ended up working there for ~2.5 years before moving to other jobs.

Moral of the story: Unless the prospective employer reaches out and you get an interview, every other job I'm seeing people getting, is ONLY via people-knowing-people-who-know/have-openings, aka Networking

Old 03-02-2018, 12:09 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,740,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
The thing is, they don’t tolerate tardiness or excessive calling in in other depts, only ours which doesn’t really make sense since we are the busiest dept in the company. We are both in the same dept and have the same skills but they took her over me and she does exactly what they don’t want in that dept.
If it doesn’t matter in your department, then they can’t hold it against someone when they apply to another job. Like I worked with one woman who normally got to the office sometime before 10 but if she had an appointment before then, you can bet she would get to the office at 8 or 7:30. If it wasn’t critical to the task, then she wasn’t going to stress herself. You just keep focusing on the wrong things. It is not always about attendance. Some people really do not care. At all. If the department is flexible, you just have to roll with it.

You need to think about why you have been doing the same work for 15 or more years of you truly want to get out. Are you trying to grow your other skills? Maybe the other people are moving on because they express an interest in other departments, network, and try to learn new things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment