Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 11:02 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,750,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Dude... what are you trying to accomplish with your huge missives?
The same thing you are trying to accomplish with your response.

Quote:
You're wrong, and there's no way to convince everyone else that you're right by typing a lot.
It may come as a surprise to you but "because [you] say so" is not a compelling argument. It strange that you think such lack of words carries any weight, and actual thoughtful and considered comments do not. I think most discerning people believe the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 11:03 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I'm not mistaken, you just proselytize empty words. All "word" and no "deed", just fake.
Nonsense. You just don't have a legitimate response to what I have written, so what else could you say to try to defend what you believe?

Old 03-15-2018, 11:05 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Bad analogy. In Hunger Games they were physically forced to participate. In our society, if you do not feel there are sufficient opportunities in the job market, you have the opportunity to be an enterpreneur and make your own job.
False. Most people in such circumstances do not have such opportunities despite your ridiculous denials of that hard fact.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:06 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,728,809 times
Quote:
If you really believe that, then you're positioning yourself to be a business owner, right? Taking some business courses, doing everything you can to learn how a business works, etc. Right? No, I already know you aren't, because if you were, you'd know this "Business owners are all rich people who abuse and oppress their poor, indentured employees who are all excellent workers but are trapped by capitalism and so can't go anywhere" was sheer nonsense.

I am not a business owner. I have absolutely no desire to be one... I don't have the education, experience, or inclination to do so. I'm very happy as an employee. I make plenty of money, and the company I work for goes out of their way to take care of us, because they know we're instrumental in their present and future success. I am doing better, financially, than an awful lot of small business owners, because I do not have the constant headaches and headwinds they face, largely from people who are always spouting about how businesses don't give enough money to their employees or government.
I feel myself personally am finally paid fairly for my skills and knowledge, but it took a long time and changing jobs several times (including 3 in the last 6 months) to get to where I am pay-wise now. The job I had last summer definitely did not pay me fairly ($4/hr less than I earn now, for the same job). Sometimes it comes down to who your boss is. Some boss's are good people and know how to treat their employees, others are ruthless, and think you should consider yourself lucky to even have your job.

I think what might be more of a motivator to low wage employees, is to give each one a small share of the profit of the company they work for in addition to their base wage. The size of that share would entirely depend on the size of the company employee-wise. But it would incentivize them to work harder to get extra money every month, but if the company had a bad month and either didn't have any growth or took a loss, said employee would still get their base wage.

That's how I feel about it anyways....

Old 03-15-2018, 11:21 AM

10,970 posts, read 5,812,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Possibly, but you only list the extended range, there's a middle ground which is quite fertile for those smarter than average, but not blindingly smart.
Agree 100%, but my post is consistent with the post I responded to.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm not confusing anything but you are. What I said is that society is obligated to ensure sufficient opportunities for all. What you are trying to pass of as adequate is a "Hunger Game" where there are enough opportunities for only certain people and the rest are left to vy for an inadequate number of suitable opportunities. Hunger Games are not moral.
Society is under no obligation, moral or otherwise, to provide opportunities.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
False. Most people in such circumstances do not have such opportunities despite your ridiculous denials of that hard fact.
There are too many successful entrepreneurs that started with nothing to believe your false narrative.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,924 posts, read 81,979,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
There are too many successful entrepreneurs that started with nothing to believe your false narrative.
Yes, opportunity is simply that something is possible. Therefore, if some people are able to do it, the opportunity exists. There are countless stories of people who started with nothing and became very successful entrepreneurs, and others who overcame a family history of poverty to have successful careers.
It's only limited by one's ambition, desire, and self discipline. There have never been and never will be enough jobs paying middle class or above wages for everyone. There will always be many unskilled jobs that anyone can do, and the value of that work does not justify the same pay as for those requiring the knowledge, skills and abilities that are rewarded by higher pay. Start paying the people at Disney collecting tickets, sweeping up, or selling snacks $25/hour and they would have to charge so much more for admission that people would stop going there. They are in business to make money.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, opportunity is simply that something is possible. Therefore, if some people are able to do it, the opportunity exists. There are countless stories of people who started with nothing and became very successful entrepreneurs, and others who overcame a family history of poverty to have successful careers.
It's only limited by one's ambition, desire, and self discipline. There have never been and never will be enough jobs paying middle class or above wages for everyone. There will always be many unskilled jobs that anyone can do, and the value of that work does not justify the same pay as for those requiring the knowledge, skills and abilities that are rewarded by higher pay. Start paying the people at Disney collecting tickets, sweeping up, or selling snacks $25/hour and they would have to charge so much more for admission that people would stop going there. They are in business to make money.
Seems pretty simple. Why do so many not get it?

Old 03-15-2018, 12:55 PM

4,186 posts, read 2,609,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
73% of Disneyland workers don't make enough to cover rent, food; Disney calls survey 'inaccurate'

Three-quarters of employees surveyed at Disney's Anaheim resort say they can't afford basic living expenses
For one thing, many are probably P/T. Lol, who can afford to live in S California on their own unless you make good money, or have roommates? It's stupidly expensive there. If they upped their wages then they would have to increase the prices to get in to where only the rich could afford the place. I grew up in S Cali, and Disneyland was already expensive back in the 60's. I can't imagine what it costs now days. It was fun though, and so was Knotts Berry Farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment