Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 11:37 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,686,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
stormeagle has consistently posted in these types of threads that some people are not smart enough to get good jobs, so therefore it isn't fair that they can't get good jobs, and that something needs to be done so that they can get good jobs. I have consistently pointed out the folly of such a belief.
Pointless, because facts do not triumph over emotion in some people. Anyone who starts to carp about "fairness" after kindergarten should get a good, hard kick in the chops. It's incredible how this disease has infected so many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 AM

10,970 posts, read 5,812,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Pointless, because facts do not triumph over emotion in some people. Anyone who starts to carp about "fairness" after kindergarten should get a good, hard kick in the chops. It's incredible how this disease has infected so many people.
Yeah, that's what I have consistently said.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:20 PM

14,994 posts, read 24,000,782 times
It's probably been discussed - but the vast majority of Disney Jobs are low skilled/minimum wage jobs - picking up trash, flipping hamburgers.
I grew up in Orlando, my friends worked in Disney World when they were teenagers and lived at home. The average employee age was like 19 or 20. One friend said it was fun, there were parties from time to time, he got some good weed connections from his fellow employees (he swears at least half his collegues were stoned on the job), ....later they got real jobs. It's like McDonalds - designed to be a first job and to pay for beer, dope, and school; not a career.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:56 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,750,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I've read some of your other posts. If you're striving to sell the idea of a more moral society, you need to find somebody that is better at marketing than you are, haha.
What else would someone with your preferences say in the face of moral perspectives for which you have no legitimate rebuttal?

Hint: If you disagree with someone, then there is no value in your opinion of how well their comments support that perspective with which you disagree. When it comes to assessing how well my comments support my perspective, I'll rely on metrics like this: https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1521628168

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Whose problem is that?
It is society's problem, no matter how much you try to evade that moral reality. I realize how uncomfortable it may make you feel to be confronted with the truth of the privilege that you and I enjoy and the cost of that privilege visited on those less fortunate than you, but that doesn't excuse the denial of those hard realities.

Quote:
I don't understand why Americans refuse to increase their skills and then complain about not being able to find work.
You seem to be skipping the explanations of what you claim you don't understand: Increasing skills is a red herring since, as several of us have already pointed out in this thread, that does not solve the problem that we are discussing: it does not increase the total number of opportunities. I have to wonder why it is that the only way you seem to be able to respond to an argument you don't like is to ignore the problem that is actually being discussed.

Quote:
Those that aren't that bright aren't in scope for high paying jobs.
Again, we're not talking about "high paying" jobs. This isn't about people being able to afford luxuries. We are talking about people being able to pay their own way and secure their own future. How many times must that be restated before it sticks?

Quote:
Anyone who starts to carp about "fairness" after kindergarten should get a good, hard kick in the chops.
And there you have the prototypical opposing perspective: Cruelly callous and extolling the virtues of violence. That kind of disreputable amorality is the crux of why the problem is getting worse. It seems that "in some people" caring only about their own comfort and luxury "triumphs over" integrity and compassion.

It may come as a big surprise, but many people believe society has progressed past the point when we lived in caves and bashed each other over the head with mammoth bones to ensure that we can live large while others suffer unjust indignities.
Attached Thumbnails
Survey: Most Calif. Disney Workers Can't Afford Living Expenses-capture.jpg  

Last edited by bUU; 03-21-2018 at 04:32 AM..

Old 03-23-2018, 06:44 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,505,649 times
Quote:
And many of will be sure to remind you off the same thing when the top 10% wealthy complain how they need to pay a few thousand dollars to million dollars extra in taxes (less than 1% of their next Rory really), to business owners if MW goes up, or any time, or any timen ribs don't go their way.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:15 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
And many of will be sure to remind you off the same thing when the top 10% wealthy complain how they need to pay a few thousand dollars to million dollars extra in taxes (less than 1% of their next Rory really), to business owners if MW goes up, or any time, or any timen ribs don't go their way.
That's a good point. The go-to excuse those defending the perspectives that benefit those more affluent in society is often grounded in claims of "fairness". Yet, those excuses always seem to see "fairness" only in one direction, blind to how such one-sided fairness imposes far more critical unfairness on others. There are myriad ways people try to blot out the reality that everyone in society is collectively responsible for every aspect and consequence of society's systems - the good and the bad - and that the only place that the "self-made" claim really belongs is in fantasy novels written by objectivist apologists for antisocial callousness.

All animals instinctively want to keep what they have and get more for themselves; and most of the baser animals have little or no care about how their doing so may affect others, even others of their own species. The measure of primitive animal instinct is the extent to which this callous attitude prevails. The measure of humanity, by contrast, is how a society treats its most vulnerable members - the young, the weak, the sick, the elderly, the downtrodden. Ever since the first H. erectus controlled fire, there has been a struggle in society between that baser, animal instinct, and characteristics much more reflective of humanity, characteristics that we refer to as "consideration", "civility", "community", "commonwealth", "compassion", "care", etc.

Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, famously said, "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." What we see playing out in the realm of Work and Employment is that arc and the resistance to its inevitable, eventual destination.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:04 PM

3,730 posts, read 4,650,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

You seem to be skipping the explanations of what you claim you don't understand: Increasing skills is a red herring since, as several of us have already pointed out in this thread, that does not solve the problem that we are discussing: it does not increase the total number of opportunities. I have to wonder why it is that the only way you seem to be able to respond to an argument you don't like is to ignore the problem that is actually being discussed.

I don't think they understand that point. Sad really.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:45 PM

3,097 posts, read 1,705,741 times
Hell, does anybody earn enough to live in California???

Old 03-24-2018, 01:56 PM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I don't think they understand that point. Sad really.
It would be even sadder if they do and are just pretending that they don't.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:14 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,072,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I would never live in California unless i was some tech genius who could pull a massive salary. It is not a place for people who are not rich.
Exactly. Unless I was making a minimum of about $75k (which still won't get you much in most places) I wouldn't even consider living in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment