Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 10:25 PM

10,970 posts, read 5,812,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You are leaving out the third option, that everyone gets the skills, but there are only so many skilled jobs, people still want their groceries and fast food, so whoever can't get the skilled slots that fill up get stuck having to flip burgers or Huck groceries even though they have the skills for more
Are you claiming that that is reality or a possibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Can you give me some examples?

I guarentee it wasn’t nothing. They had access to education, roads, running water, the right mentors and all sorts of tangible and intangible things.
Such a discussion presupposes that citizens of the US have access to the existing infrastructure. The “started with nothing” is simply a recognition that many don’t have the benefit of family/money/social status, etc. yet still achieve great success. Arguing against that reality is simply ignorant.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,750,708 times
Quote:
I feel myself personally am finally paid fairly for my skills and knowledge, but it took a long time and changing jobs several times (including 3 in the last 6 months) to get to where I am pay-wise now.
Wait until the creases in your face become a consideration.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...tech/93110594/

https://www.fisherphillips.com/resou...ination-claims

https://melmagazine.com/age-discrimi...e-2960dec720fd

https://workingnation.com/age-discri...-skilled-jobs/

Among those folks with whom I was networking during my recent job search, most of us 55 and older have found that we have had to be very creative to make compelling to hiring managers our reasons for accepting a salary much lower than we've been paid in the past, as some of them (who evidently are clueless about how wage-challenged older workers seeking employment are*) would otherwise be reluctant to consider us for fear we'd soon jump to another job closer to our former salary.

* "She adds that when older displaced workers do find new jobs, they typically go back to work with about 75 percent of their former pay." Age Discrimination Keeps People From Working in Retirement | Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Society is under no obligation, moral or otherwise, to provide opportunities.
Society is under a moral obligation to ensure that there are sufficient and sufficiently adequate opportunities for workers to pay their own way and secure their own futures. As I've said previously, edicts such as what you posted are devoid of moral substance. I've posted the moral substance underlying my statements earlier in the thread. All you and those who agree with you have done is posted vapid, amoral refusals to acknowledge moral standards which are well-established as those on which society has been built.

Society is under a moral obligation to ensure that there are sufficient and sufficiently adequate opportunities for workers to pay their own way and secure their own futures.
Quote:
There are too many successful entrepreneurs that started with nothing to believe your false narrative.
Despite your baseless claim, there is not an unlimited capacity within the economy for people to start new businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, opportunity is simply that something is possible.
Well put. Possible, but there is not enough of the kind of opportunity TaxPhd proffered to fulfill the requirement.

Quote:
There have never been and never will be enough jobs paying middle class or above wages for everyone. There will always be many unskilled jobs that anyone can do, and the value of that work does not justify the same pay as for those requiring the knowledge, skills and abilities that are rewarded by higher pay.
Correct. Those with more skills surely should be able to afford more luxuries than those with less skills. But everyone is innately deserving of the basic dignity due all human beings, that of having the opportunity to work such that they are able to pay their own way and secure their own future. Not buying Teslas, but putting food on the table, having a safe and healthy place to live, etc.

Quote:
Seems pretty simple. Why do so many not get it?
Because they understand morality and recognize that what you're suggesting as "getting it" is immoral, putting aside what's moral in favor of what's amoral rationalization for what perhaps might unjustly favor you personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I wish I could rep you more than once. Especially for the bolded part of your response. I wish people were able to understand this, even in the most basic sense. The opportunities and privileges you have been presented does not mean everyone else gets the same!
I'm not sure if it is encouraging or discouraging, but I don't believe for a minute that these other people don't actually understand - I think they understand just fine, but refuse to acknowledge that they do, as a means of defending the amoral perspective that they prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
You resent the idea of people having to put effort into it.
False. You seem to now be vapidly grasping at straws, just to have something to say in response to moral statements for which you have no legitimate response.

Last edited by bUU; 03-16-2018 at 03:36 AM..

Old 03-16-2018, 04:09 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,728,809 times
Quote:
Are you claiming that that is reality or a possibility?
That would be an inevitable reality if EVERYONE got skilled. There wouldn't be enough jobs for all of them, and the low wage unskilled jobs would still need workers unless people would start growing their own food in this scenario because no one would work in grocery stores or food service anymore....

Old 03-16-2018, 04:29 AM

11,361 posts, read 19,032,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
And they wouldn't be any better off working anywhere else...

If they had the drive to make more, they would have learned to do something to get paid more
It's not always as easy as people make it. If you are barely making to survive (or not making enough), where are you going to get the money to go back to school (or the time for that matter since that means working even less).

This is like health care in that most of the civilized world is a lot more humane about it in that the rest of the world has subsidies to help people actually "learn to do something to get paid more" without starving to death or becoming homeless.

I have seen on C-D many smug people who think like you who lost their own good job/career and were surprised to find a year or more went by without and equivalent job, essentially forcing them into jobs like this and they really "changed their tune" on this issue.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:34 AM

3,025 posts, read 2,288,329 times
Quote:
Yes, opportunity is simply that something is possible. Therefore, if some people are able to do it, the opportunity exists. There are countless stories of people who started with nothing and became very successful entrepreneurs, and others who overcame a family history of poverty to have successful careers.
It's only limited by one's ambition, desire, and self discipline. There have never been and never will be enough jobs paying middle class or above wages for everyone. There will always be many unskilled jobs that anyone can do, and the value of that work does not justify the same pay as for those requiring the knowledge, skills and abilities that are rewarded by higher pay. Start paying the people at Disney collecting tickets, sweeping up, or selling snacks $25/hour and they would have to charge so much more for admission that people would stop going there. They are in business to make money.
Just because here is opportunity is possible and some people can do it does not prove anyone can do it. You are right there are plenty of stories about people who started with nothing and became successful but there are also lots of stories who started with nothing and still have nothing. It is also limited by IQ, what parents you had, what kind of school you go to, your environment but of course you do not want to mention that because then you would have to admit you did not become successful all by yourself. Who is saying these jobs should be payed as much as jobs that require knowledge,skills and abilities just enough that they can have enough for food, shelter, transportation. With how much Disney parks charge I am pretty sure they could afford to pay their employees more without charging much more if anything.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Society is under a moral obligation to ensure that there are sufficient and sufficiently adequate opportunities for workers to pay their own way and secure their own futures. As I've said previously, edicts such as what you posted are devoid of moral substance. I've posted the moral substance underlying my statements earlier in the thread. All you and those who agree with you have done is posted vapid, amoral refusals to acknowledge moral standards which are well-established as those on which society has been built.
Expecting that society does (or should) conform to your moral code is the height of arrogance. But, hey, I’ll play your game. If society is obligated to provide opportunities, how does one get satisfaction for a lack of opportunity? To whom should they go for a redress of grievances? What law(s) will give them satisfaction?

Quote:
Society is under a moral obligation to ensure that there are sufficient and sufficiently adequate opportunities for workers to pay their own way and secure their own futures.
Simply repeating yourself doesn’t bolster your claim.

Quote:
Despite your baseless claim, there is not an unlimited capacity within the economy for people to start new businesses.
Everyday, entrepreneurs show how wrong you are.

Quote:
Correct. Those with more skills surely should be able to afford more luxuries than those with less skills. But everyone is innately deserving of the basic dignity due all human beings, that of having the opportunity to work such that they are able to pay their own way and secure their own future. Not buying Teslas, but putting food on the table, having a safe and healthy place to live, etc.
Everyone is innately deserving of that which they are able to acheive. For some, that is lavish luxury. For others, it is a minimum wage existence. And for all your claims of a “moral” framework for this discussion, it is the height of immorality to extract wealth from those that have produced it, to give it to those that haven’t.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
That would be an inevitable reality if EVERYONE got skilled. There wouldn't be enough jobs for all of them, and the low wage unskilled jobs would still need workers unless people would start growing their own food in this scenario because no one would work in grocery stores or food service anymore....
But that’s neither reality, nor a possibility, correct?

Old 03-16-2018, 11:51 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,728,809 times
Quote:
But that’s neither reality, nor a possibility, correct?
It is distinctly a possibility that people can be skilled and qualified for jobs but can't actually get them because someone else has them.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,586,799 times
Quote:
It is distinctly a possibility that people can be skilled and qualified for jobs but can't actually get them because someone else has them.
America is nowhere close to that. There are millions of unfilled jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment