Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 01:24 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It’s just another term for “the workplace continues to turn into a high school social club”. Most production and effective working is done alone by qualified people from my experience. Whenever there is “teamwork” involved it’s the “tower of Babbel” and little seems to get accomplished. At least anything of value gets accomplished. From my experience the “more people” the stuff just gets messed up. Especially when you have people thrown into the team that have no idea what the hell they are doing

Yes things are “changing”. But they are changing for the WORSE in most places. There’s too many hands in the pie
I agree that it's a change for the worse and also that it's like high school. There's a definite pep-rally vibe and a lot of cheerleading. I assume this isn't unique to my workplace but, rather, happening all over.

I also agree that I'm getting out just in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 01:31 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Which employees... The HR people? Because it seems they have too much time on their hands lately! Is all of this a "thing" lately?
Lately? I'm surprised your company is still in business since what you listed came into vogue 20+ (actually longer) years ago.

Your HR department is way behind the times.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Perhaps companies want to "get their money's worth" out of their employees? Labor costs are under a microscope and companies want to extract as much work out of their employees for the least amount of money.
On the contrary, these programs are costing a lot of money, as is tuition reimbursement and company paid outside training, seminars and conferences. Any high performing organization has to keep up with the latest technology, and develop their staff to take over higher level positions as people retire or leave when poached by other companies. I will say that "team building" is mostly obsolete and is overrated, with "collaboration" now critical to success, with better opportunities to contribute ideas, and coordinate between departments that work together or whose work could affect another.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
On the contrary, these programs are costing a lot of money, as is tuition reimbursement and company paid outside training, seminars and conferences. Any high performing organization has to keep up with the latest technology, and develop their staff to take over higher level positions as people retire or leave when poached by other companies. I will say that "team building" is mostly obsolete and is overrated, with "collaboration" now critical to success, with better opportunities to contribute ideas, and coordinate between departments that work together or whose work could affect another.
The upgrading of actual skills (such as in IT, the medical field, etc.), I could get on board with. This is just BS sitting-around-talking stuff. The workplace equivalent of the BS in Women's Studies, not to offend women.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:37 PM

80 posts, read 50,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I agree that it's a change for the worse and also that it's like high school. There's a definite pep-rally vibe and a lot of cheerleading. I assume this isn't unique to my workplace but, rather, happening all over.

I also agree that I'm getting out just in time.
It sucks always having to wear the happy face at work and hide what you REALLY think, having to be friendly to superiors who you may not really like or respect, the constant push to be social and pretend your coworkers are your friends when you really just want to be left alone to do your job, etc.

It's like standing in a hive of ants, having to grin and say "this feels great!"

It's the inauthenticity that I have always had a problem with.

I do a fantastic job and my performance reviews and promotion history reflect that, but I'm a horrible actor and I often get the "bad attitude" label because of it. I'm a no BS kind of guy who cannot stand the style over substance mindset of so many workplaces.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:52 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
I think some of you people may have chosen the wrong careers, if not the wrong employer.

At my place, team-building is skills based, not playtime.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:41 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I think some of you people may have chosen the wrong careers, if not the wrong employer.

At my place, team-building is skills based, not playtime.
Doesnt that get exhausting? Is that done on company time? I dont want to be in the cage fighting on my own time.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyedyeguy View Post
It sucks always having to wear the happy face at work and hide what you REALLY think, having to be friendly to superiors who you may not really like or respect, the constant push to be social and pretend your coworkers are your friends when you really just want to be left alone to do your job, etc.

It's like standing in a hive of ants, having to grin and say "this feels great!"

It's the inauthenticity that I have always had a problem with.

I do a fantastic job and my performance reviews and promotion history reflect that, but I'm a horrible actor and I often get the "bad attitude" label because of it. I'm a no BS kind of guy who cannot stand the style over substance mindset of so many workplaces.
I'm afraid I don't "wear the happy face" well; I'm more the eye-rolling type, which is another reason it's a good thing I'm getting out.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Del 780 optiplex computer wireless card

Old 07-31-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Del 780 optiplex computer wireless card

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment