Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 01:30 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,483,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"If I was an introvert, I would have been one of those loading cargo. I would not have been able to react with passengers as we wanted them handled. I would not have been able to supervise the people that did the work in the department."

Not necessarily true; another misconception.
Lots of people don't understand what introverts are, of they have an ancient, parodied idea of what introversion/extroversion is in relation to one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 01:37 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,312,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Lots of people don't understand what introverts are, of they have an ancient, parodied idea of what introversion/extroversion is in relation to one another.
yes, including the OP who confuses introversion with being anti-social.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:49 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,483,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
yes, including the OP who confuses introversion with being anti-social.
Some people (not sure about OP) suffer from social anxiety, and avoid crowds as a result. Way back in the day, I used to be one of them. It took many years of practice and exposure to crowded areas to finally get comfortable. When I was first putting myself out there, it was absolutely mentally exhausting to me to spend a few hours at a crowded place. Now, I don't mind crowds much at all. However, it comes with a caveat. I also enjoy weekends/evenings left to my own devices from time to time.

Severe social anxiety is a symptom of introversion, and introversion/extroversion is on a spectrum in my experience and observations. I still consider myself introverted, but I'll participate in work functions all the time. Some people are far worse off than me, though, and I imagine lots of them spend a lot of time on places such as this. So it doesn't surprise me that there are a lot of introverts with social anxiety who participate here.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:30 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,933,414 times
Quote:
A man flirting with you (now) is, so why not?
reductio ad absurdum

Old 07-24-2018, 02:32 PM

22,150 posts, read 13,202,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
reductio ad absurdum
Actually, quite a few women don't have a problem with a little harmless flirting, even in the workplace, just as many extroverts here obviously don't have a problem with mandatory socializing at work. I say let people be themselves and other people sort them out...

Old 07-24-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Actually, quite a few women don't have a problem with a little harmless flirting, even in the workplace, just as many extroverts here obviously don't have a problem with mandatory socializing at work. I say let people be themselves and other people sort them out...
Many social people don't have a problem with mandatory socializing, whether they are introverted or extroverted.

I also suggest you look up what a human rights violation is.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:41 PM

22,150 posts, read 13,202,623 times
Sorry; I misspoke. I meant civil rights violation.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Sorry; I misspoke. I meant civil rights violation.
Being anti-social is not a civil right.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:02 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,497,882 times
Some situations have this. Soldiers, pilots, etc. who work very closely with each other are kind of expected to do this. They eat, sleep, *** together, and cover each others' backs that drinking helps remove reveal and to smooth over any potential issues in unit cohesion and otherwise working together.

In the civilian world, if much of business is done (contracts, sales, securing business, etc.) at the golf course or at a bar/restaurant, then ditto.

Unless something is absolutely required, I don't go to it if it doesn't interest me. If it is required, then I will expect them to reimburse me, as at that point, it feels more like a work function than a social function.

Quote:
SMH. Read the topic again: MANDATORY Socialization. When the boss personally chases after you to attend, that's pretty mandatory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Some of this doesn't sound mandatory at all. You can always plan other things during these times. Book other meetings, etc. Being urged to attend is not mandatory. You're a short timer.
It sounds like that gray area, where "if your boss tells you don't have to do something unless you want to, you really do", reading between the lines type thing

Old 07-24-2018, 04:50 PM

12,920 posts, read 9,181,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Wrong. It is very much networking. Management knows what goes on at those functions. They know who is attending and who is not. When you don't participate, management takes that as a signal that you do not fit in with your co-workers and are a loner. Your work assignments and chance of advancement, are very much dependent on your ability to fit in with other employees, and your not going to social functions is considered not being part of the team and are not going to give you choice assignments, and promotions.

In my working days, I nearly always had management duties. My first real upper management assignment was, as a 20 year old 3rd class petty officer (E-4). I was in full charge of the air terminal, for a large navy air transport squadron. I was overseeing all passengers, and cargo going in and out of the squadron. Up to that point the job had always been held by a Navy Chief (highest enlisted rate at the time) (E-7). My section leaders one over passengers and one for cargo, both outranked me (E-5 over cargo, and an E-6 over passengers). I had the job, because of my personal record which included how I reacted with people, and how I handled emergencies. I was also also in charge of the flight attendants for passenger flights, who worked in my department when not on flight duties.

If I was an introvert, I would have been one of those loading cargo. I would not have been able to react with passengers as we wanted them handled. I would not have been able to supervise the people that did the work in the department.

We see many posts about a** kissers that are in friendly terms with management are the ones that get promoted, and those complainers cry about how they never get the promotions, special assignments, and moved to better jobs, and how unfair they never get the plum assignments, higher paid jobs, etc. People are recommended for advancement by managers, after they have gotten to know that worker, and feel they are the best ones for being promoted. The loners, that will not attend company functions, etc., and are not at least friendly with management do not get the promotions and plum jobs.

If you do not react with your co-workers, do not attend these little functions, and just want to be left alone to do your work, DO NOT expect to get plum jobs, and promotions. Do not expect as good of raises that the in crowd gets. And if you apply other places for work, when the other company calls your last employer for references, do not expect to get a glowing report on you. The truth is, your employer does not really know the introverts, and is not going to brag you up.
Big misunderstanding of introversion and the working world most of us are in today, not the work world of 30-50 years ago. So many changes. Like being an introvert wouldn't prevent someone from managing a squadron. Or dealing with lots of people. Completely different issues. And most of us here have enough experience to understand the difference between someone who is a phony a$$ kisser making nice nice to management vs a good performer who is on friendly terms with others, including management. There's a level of honesty vs dishonesty that pretty obvious to coworkers that is often invisible to said a$$ kissed management.

Just like there is a huge difference between a$$ kissing and acceptable mingling. And between a nice going away vs mandatory fun. If you have to enforce mandatory fun to get people to attend, then the organization is already in the grips of a$$ kissing taking the place of good management.

I've been in organizations where everyone wanted to be there, even if it were at night or on the weekend, because we were that tight with one another. And in organizations where if it weren't for mandatory fun, no one would be there because the boss was so bad that morale was in the toilet and the boss was always surrounded by his sycophants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment