Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 01:47 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,777,887 times

Advertisements

We keep reading on these threads the best way to get good jobs, and promotions is to network. It allows people to get to know you as a person, as you network with them, and they can learn who would be a good person for the next promotion. Without some contact other than working is no way for the people to get to know you and learn how you react with people.

The type of socialization that goes on at company functions is Networking at it's best. No one that will not socialize enough to go to company functions, should ever wonder why the do not get promoted or get a better job when one comes available. Believe me you are networking when you talk to people at these functions. You make a good or bad impression, and that impression will hold you back or get you promoted, and better jobs.

Only people that have good people skills, get promoted and management positions. If you don't socialize at company functions, do not complain when you don't get offered higher positions with the company. You don't have to meet at the bar for a few of you to drink and swap stories, but any type of company function, if you want go grow to better jobs and management, be there or it will never happen. It is considered networking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 09:14 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
The bottom line is that we all have some tasks and expectations of us in a work situation that may not be our preference. A night owl may not like having to be at work at 8 am. It doesn't mean they get special treatment just because of that. And when there is an expectation by the employer for the kinds of work-based social interactions that they feel build better team spirit and produce better results, then someone preferring not to do that doesn't get special treatment either.

It doesn't matter that this is a new manager and a new initiative, it's no different than an employer telling you that they are switching to some new software program. That fact that you liked the old way of doing things in no way prevents the employer from instituting a new way that they have determined is a better fit for current objectives.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:16 AM

21,923 posts, read 13,004,619 times
I honestly don't believe that these changes in work culture IF NOT AT ALL WORK-RELATED should be taken lying down. Of course our choice is to take it or leave it (find another job), but forcing fake behavior that makes a certain type of person very uncomfortable if not necessary to the work seems to me to be almost a human rights violation. One can no longer create or support a hostile work environment, bully, or sexually harass, yet it's okay to force introverted shy people to hob-nob and socialize when, again, it's NOT essential to the job (defenders will maintain that it's essential to every job but, let's face it, it's not)? Quiet, reserved people may be the last class against which it's not only okay, but fashionable, to discriminate against in the work place.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:17 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I honestly don't believe that these changes in work culture IF NOT AT ALL WORK-RELATED should be taken lying down. Of course our choice is to take it or leave it (find another job), but forcing fake behavior that makes a certain type of person very uncomfortable if not necessary to the work seems to me to be almost a human rights issue. You can't create a hostile work environment, bully, or sexually harass, yet it's okay to force introverted shy people to hob-nob and socialize when, again, it's not essential to the job? We may be the last class against which it's not only okay, but fashionable, to discriminate against in the work place.
having job requirements you don't like doesn't make you a protected class. Complain if you want, but stop claiming you are being discriminated against, because you aren't.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:36 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,921,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I honestly don't believe that these changes in work culture IF NOT AT ALL WORK-RELATED should be taken lying down. Of course our choice is to take it or leave it (find another job), but forcing fake behavior that makes a certain type of person very uncomfortable if not necessary to the work seems to me to be almost a human rights violation. One can no longer create or support a hostile work environment, bully, or sexually harass, yet it's okay to force introverted shy people to hob-nob and socialize when, again, it's NOT essential to the job (defenders will maintain that it's essential to every job but, let's face it, it's not)? Quiet, reserved people may be the last class against which it's not only okay, but fashionable, to discriminate against in the work place.
Being asked to go to a potluck over lunch for a co-worker is a human rights violation?

Old 07-24-2018, 10:46 AM

12,861 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
We keep reading on these threads the best way to get good jobs, and promotions is to network. It allows people to get to know you as a person, as you network with them, and they can learn who would be a good person for the next promotion. Without some contact other than working is no way for the people to get to know you and learn how you react with people.

The type of socialization that goes on at company functions is Networking at it's best. No one that will not socialize enough to go to company functions, should ever wonder why the do not get promoted or get a better job when one comes available. Believe me you are networking when you talk to people at these functions. You make a good or bad impression, and that impression will hold you back or get you promoted, and better jobs.

Only people that have good people skills, get promoted and management positions. If you don't socialize at company functions, do not complain when you don't get offered higher positions with the company. You don't have to meet at the bar for a few of you to drink and swap stories, but any type of company function, if you want go grow to better jobs and management, be there or it will never happen. It is considered networking.
However the type of functions being described here are not networking. The people you want and need to network with dont go to these types of functions. Big difference. You're thinking of a completely different work environment than most of us work in these days.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Being asked to go to a potluck over lunch for a co-worker is a human rights violation?
A man flirting with you (now) is, so why not?

Old 07-24-2018, 12:52 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,777,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
However the type of functions being described here are not networking. The people you want and need to network with dont go to these types of functions. Big difference. You're thinking of a completely different work environment than most of us work in these days.
Wrong. It is very much networking. Management knows what goes on at those functions. They know who is attending and who is not. When you don't participate, management takes that as a signal that you do not fit in with your co-workers and are a loner. Your work assignments and chance of advancement, are very much dependent on your ability to fit in with other employees, and your not going to social functions is considered not being part of the team and are not going to give you choice assignments, and promotions.

In my working days, I nearly always had management duties. My first real upper management assignment was, as a 20 year old 3rd class petty officer (E-4). I was in full charge of the air terminal, for a large navy air transport squadron. I was overseeing all passengers, and cargo going in and out of the squadron. Up to that point the job had always been held by a Navy Chief (highest enlisted rate at the time) (E-7). My section leaders one over passengers and one for cargo, both outranked me (E-5 over cargo, and an E-6 over passengers). I had the job, because of my personal record which included how I reacted with people, and how I handled emergencies. I was also also in charge of the flight attendants for passenger flights, who worked in my department when not on flight duties.

If I was an introvert, I would have been one of those loading cargo. I would not have been able to react with passengers as we wanted them handled. I would not have been able to supervise the people that did the work in the department.

We see many posts about a** kissers that are in friendly terms with management are the ones that get promoted, and those complainers cry about how they never get the promotions, special assignments, and moved to better jobs, and how unfair they never get the plum assignments, higher paid jobs, etc. People are recommended for advancement by managers, after they have gotten to know that worker, and feel they are the best ones for being promoted. The loners, that will not attend company functions, etc., and are not at least friendly with management do not get the promotions and plum jobs.

If you do not react with your co-workers, do not attend these little functions, and just want to be left alone to do your work, DO NOT expect to get plum jobs, and promotions. Do not expect as good of raises that the in crowd gets. And if you apply other places for work, when the other company calls your last employer for references, do not expect to get a glowing report on you. The truth is, your employer does not really know the introverts, and is not going to brag you up.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:55 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Wrong. It is very much networking. Management knows what goes on at those functions. They know who is attending and who is not. When you don't participate, management takes that as a signal that you do not fit in with your co-workers and are a loner. Your work assignments and chance of advancement, are very much dependent on your ability to fit in with other employees, and your not going to social functions is considered not being part of the team and are not going to give you choice assignments, and promotions.

In my working days, I nearly always had management duties. My first real upper management assignment was, as a 20 year old 3rd class petty officer (E-4). I was in full charge of the air terminal, for a large navy air transport squadron. I was overseeing all passengers, and cargo going in and out of the squadron. Up to that point the job had always been held by a Navy Chief (highest enlisted rate at the time) (E-7). My section leaders one over passengers and one for cargo, both outranked me (E-5 over cargo, and an E-6 over passengers). I had the job, because of my personal record which included how I reacted with people, and how I handled emergencies. I was also also in charge of the flight attendants for passenger flights, who worked in my department when not on flight duties.

If I was an introvert, I would have been one of those loading cargo. I would not have been able to react with passengers as we wanted them handled. I would not have been able to supervise the people that did the work in the department.

We see many posts about a** kissers that are in friendly terms with management are the ones that get promoted, and those complainers cry about how they never get the promotions, special assignments, and moved to better jobs, and how unfair they never get the plum assignments, higher paid jobs, etc. People are recommended for advancement by managers, after they have gotten to know that worker, and feel they are the best ones for being promoted. The loners, that will not attend company functions, etc., and are not at least friendly with management do not get the promotions and plum jobs.

If you do not react with your co-workers, do not attend these little functions, and just want to be left alone to do your work, DO NOT expect to get plum jobs, and promotions. Do not expect as good of raises that the in crowd gets. And if you apply other places for work, when the other company calls your last employer for references, do not expect to get a glowing report on you. The truth is, your employer does not really know the introverts, and is not going to brag you up.
Maybe those people just have more integrity than to fake-like people whom are merely their work peers. Also, I highly doubt an E-4 was carrying out 'upper management' duties lol. That's the absolute antithesis of how military brass operates. But continue...

Last edited by Left-handed; 07-24-2018 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-24-2018, 01:26 PM

"If I was an introvert, I would have been one of those loading cargo. I would not have been able to react with passengers as we wanted them handled. I would not have been able to supervise the people that did the work in the department."

Not necessarily true; another misconception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment