Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 03:17 PM

22,126 posts, read 13,173,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Setting time aside to get to know people at work who you don't know that well is ridiculous? You specifically asked what you could do to be more social, that's one simple thing.

What do you lose by grabbing lunch with different people every once in a while? You all have to eat sometime anyway.
As has been stated, introverts require time alone to recharge. If the job involves a lot of social interaction (whether with coworkers, the public, or whatever), lunch is likely one of those times.

"People who need people" just cannot wrap their minds around this, apparently!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 03:30 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,932,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As has been stated, introverts require time alone to recharge. If the job involves a lot of social interaction (whether with coworkers, the public, or whatever), lunch is likely one of those times.

I'm extremely introverted. This is not an introversion/extroversion thing. If a person is so anti-social (again, not introverted, anti-social) that they cannot even as much as eat lunch with other people on occasion, they need to accept the fact they will never be one of the better performers for 95% of jobs.

The question was asked, "they want me to be more of a team player, but what can I really do about it?" I gave an answer. Don't ask a question, the reject the answers given. Being introverted doesn't mean a person can't make an effort to be more social, and to be more of a team player. Introversion is not an excuse.

Don't post a topic on a public forum if you don't want to hear opinions outside your own.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I'm extremely introverted. This is not an introversion/extroversion thing. If a person is so anti-social (again, not introverted, anti-social) that they cannot even as much as eat lunch with other people on occasion, they need to accept the fact they will never be one of the better performers for 95% of jobs.
Okay (it's easier to just agree with you).

Old 07-20-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Okay (it's easier to just agree with you).
I have several books on this topic that helped me personally become more social as an introvert without draining me, if a goal of creating this thread was to get advise, send me a private message and I can share the titles.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:40 PM

23,491 posts, read 19,198,031 times
Quote:
I'm confused; this was at a staff meeting. How could you "blow off" a staff meeting? Sounds to me like they found a way to say goodbye privately and quietly (and in a dignified way) in the course of your everyday routine while respecting your wish that no one throw a special party for you, and you quietly expressed gratitude. Sounds like a success to me... Adults can manage to say goodbye (or whatever else they have to say to one another) without management orchestrating some big public production around it; that's my point.
I had intended to include additional info in that post. I'd been informed there would probably be some small notice taken during that staff meeting because I didn't want a party. Profuse apologies. Surprised this dead horse is still being beaten.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I have several books on this topic that helped me personally become more social as an introvert without draining me, if you'd like their titles, send me a message.
No, thanks; I'm retiring soon. I also don't believe introverts should HAVE to change. We bring unique skills that should be valued.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
No, thanks; I'm retiring soon. I also don't believe introverts should HAVE to change.
Introverts don't have to change. Anti-social introverts do. Introverts have no problem socializing.

What's the point of this thread, if you're not looking for advise?

Last edited by Lekrii; 07-20-2018 at 03:54 PM..

Old 07-20-2018, 03:46 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,726,047 times
Quote:

It goes past the introverted needing a recharge. I don't get paid for lunch( as I suspect is the case with many). So why would I use that time to try and force social interactions with people I work with, in service to the job? If it's not in service to the job, then what's it in service of? If I spent time with a coworker on my own (unpaid) time it is at my leisure and discretion.

The real issue is, as someone succinctly put earlier, many workplaces operate like we're back in high school: Gossiping, cliques, bullying. The workplace is FULL of this sociopathic behavior which breeds in the fertile soil of dysfunctional work environments, facilitated by poor communication, vague objectives or goals, favoritism( a net result of getting PERSONAL with certain workers), poor barometers for performance, promotions or incentives. To combat this, the employer then insists that its workers, who they've successfully pitted against each other due to their own managerial ineptitude, then engage in awkwardly forced social situations. Company social events should not exist to foster camaraderie that is otherwise lacking. Create a WORKING environment that promotes good teamwork through fair practices and procedures, and interpersonal relations between staff will develop naturally......as they should.

How anyone can argue that forced social events is the right way to create a positive working environment escapes me.

Last edited by Roman77; 07-20-2018 at 03:57 PM..

Old 07-20-2018, 03:53 PM

23,491 posts, read 19,198,031 times
Let this lifelong introvert with a 34 year career rephrase this for you:

"It seems that once someone accepts the label of being an anti-social slacker, that is an excuse for not doing their work properly. And work is more than sitting at your desk not working with or communicating with others.

Rightfully so, because no one knows what is going on inside the head of a poorly-socialized or anti-social person because they have very poor communication skills. I've been at meetings with individual poor communicators in my workplace who haven't learned how to handle group situations, and the discussed directly has to do with their work and they are the expert in it, however they refuse to take part in the discussion. Just sit there and not say a word."

Introvert has nothing to do with this at all.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:09 PM

"What's the point of this thread, if you're not looking for advise (sic)?"

It's always helpful to refer back to the original post.

"Is enforced "schmoozing" now a thing? Is this not somewhat discriminatory against those with a more shy, retiring nature who don't 'do' crowds?"

And I don't accept your introvert vs antisocial theory. No one is necessarily "antisocial" because he or she doesn't want to be forced to socialize in an artificial setting at a prescribed place and time beyond the usual niceties required for a functional workplace.

I'm reminded of the cartoon of the dog owner at a dog park. "I brought you here to frolic. Now, FROLIC."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment