Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 07:41 AM

780 posts, read 425,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Wait I thought you said the job was easy to learn and "basic stuff"? At least you're finally admitting it.

Your wage of approx $12/hr for something like this is a joke IMO. Pay should be at least another $5/hr. $12/hr is general high school wage levels here in cheap NC even.
~$12/hr for Maryland (where OP indicated she is from) is probably pretty low as well. So I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that finding "quality" labor has come to be so difficult for her and management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
~$12/hr for Maryland (where OP indicated she is from) is probably pretty low as well. So I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that finding "quality" labor has come to be so difficult for her and management.
Wow Maryland? Holy smokes that is low. I was thinking they were in the Midwest somewhere.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:19 AM

5,898 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Wow Maryland? Holy smokes that is low. I was thinking they were in the Midwest somewhere.
Employers want top talent for no money.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I was here 15 years ago. Worked for about 5 when the company was having money and building business issues. I bounced for a few years until I landed the government job. At that point the owner asked me to come back. I have been back around 2 or close to two years now. I will try to stay here until retirement.
That's an unusual/backward career move: choosing to leave a government job (presumably with a pension, good benefits, job security, steady paycheck), to work for a small business that has paid you with IOUs.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 05-17-2019 at 08:41 AM..

Old 05-17-2019, 09:32 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
A high school graduate or GED holder can make $15/hour, pretty standard second shift in a convenience store in my area (MN). Advertised on the door every day.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:36 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Yesterday I asked her to call two customers and it never happened, she was only there until lunch when she had personal drama through snap chat and had to leave.

She is a terrible fit for what she needs and she has done zero to attempt to do what is needed. She will probably be without a job within the next two weeks. Unless she finds away to accomplish the job.

I have 3 techs today with only enough appointments for two of them. That is directly because she was not on the phone calling customers due and booking appointments. Totally not acceptable.
Well put that way, she's a detriment to the company...but so is the Flower Pot Lady. Replace them both with one person at a few dollars more an hour.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:38 AM

780 posts, read 425,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Well put that way, she's a detriment to the company...but so is the Flower Pot Lady. Replace them both with one person at a few dollars more an hour.
Bingo!

The cost savings of eliminating two salaries, two employee benefit packages, and whatever else they are burdening the company with could afford OP one very solid employee in the $15-$20/hr range.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:14 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
It is an actual call center with 2-4 people answering phones. We have 2 to an office and not a room of cubes. Data entry isn’t really accurate. The job is answering all incoming calls, determining the issue, scheduling for appropriate tech in an appropriate time slot, with documentation of the call notes. If phones are not ringing, they are calling out to schedule customers for preventative maintenance of equipment. What should that be called if not “call center”?
A 'dispatch center.' You're determining the issue and scheduling a time for the plumber, technician, whoever, to go out and make repairs.

You said you 'made it clear' to 'sloth' that you wanted a 'mini me' when you hired for this position. It sounds like this issue circles back to you. You didn't make a good assessment of this person's skills, and now you have a problem child (or what you call a 'sloth.') I don't think management is the right spot for you, no matter how long you've worked for the company. You were there when they needed you, as you have mentioned several times, and my guess is they paid you back with a 'management' position. No offense, but this happens ALOT in small businesses. "I've known Betty Sue since high school. She was there when we needed her. We should show our appreciate by making her a manager."
What are you qualifications?

Old 05-17-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
2 people in 15 years means the company training needs serious overhauling, or you are expecting too much from someone at that wage point. You depend on people (you yourself say you can't count on) to do pricing? Why? Thats asking for trouble.

Just make a file for them. Pictures of each of the 12 pieces of equipment. Flow charts to get to the desired maintenance requirements. Its not rocket science. Sending them out in the field with techs is ridiculous. you can do much better training without slowing down your techs.
The OP doesn't really seem to get it. This is Poor Management 101 and the company may not ever really thrive until they find the right people with the necessary skills to course correct this place.
BTW, I am a woman, too. By the sounds of it, I would hate working for this person. But I bet I would have known that at the interview (I do have some EI skills ) and probably never taken such a job.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:21 AM

[quote=LowonLuck;55199120]My last job was the government job and I was an administrative assistant.[/QUOTE/

How does admin assistant qualify you as a manager?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment