Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:29 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,443,034 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else think that temporary agencies are a joke? I think they are. I have been to a few in the past and stopped going to them because they have all these jobs advertised and then when you get there and test, etc., you don't hear a word from them. Some of them will even admit to you, after they bring you in, that they don't have anything. I stopped going through them until yesterday when I went to one because I was desperate and got the same deal. They told me over the phone they had the perfect job for me and when I got there (a matter of hours later) they said they already gave it to someone else. They then proceed to tell me there isn't much out there. Also, they say they "market" people. Um, if I remember correctly, it used to be that they got you jobs. I don't need anyone to market me. I can do that myself. It is my feeling that these agencies bring people in under false pretences in order to justify their own jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 11:21 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,013,105 times
I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I haven't worked for a temp agency in years, but years ago, my friend and I both signed up at agencies and we were both busy from the word "go". Neither of us ever had a dry period.

She was a bookkeeper and I was general clerical, so skills may be a factor. What type of work are you looking for and is there a specialized temp agency you can try? Could location be a factor? We were both in the mid-west.

I'm curious as to whether what you're experiencing is a newer phenomenon. Based on my experiences back in the 80s, I was encouraging my son to give temping a try (he hasn't signed up yet). How discouraging to hear temping may not be what it used to be.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I haven't worked for a temp agency in years, but years ago, my friend and I both signed up at agencies and we were both busy from the word "go". Neither of us ever had a dry period.

She was a bookkeeper and I was general clerical, so skills may be a factor. What type of work are you looking for and is there a specialized temp agency you can try? Could location be a factor? We were both in the mid-west.

I'm curious as to whether what you're experiencing is a newer phenomenon. Based on my experiences back in the 80s, I was encouraging my son to give temping a try (he hasn't signed up yet). How discouraging to hear temping may not be what it used to be.
I have worked for agencies before in the past and got assignments, but I think today the job market is pretty poor and people with degrees cannot even find work so some of them are taking jobs that we people without degrees used to be able to get.

I am in Administrative/Clerical so I am speaking for that type of work. Maybe agencies would be better for other types of employment. I also think, in my case, age could play a factor.

But my main point to the temporary agencies is that they be honest with people. I would respect them more.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:53 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,013,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
... people with degrees cannot even find work so some of them are taking jobs that we people without degrees used to be able to get...
Bleh. I understand now. Still, that stinks for all concerned.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:20 PM

308 posts, read 1,617,552 times
Sorry but I worked for a temp agency for a while (sans degree) and never had to concern myself with my next position. I always had something coming up that they were able to get me into. As Nelly has already suggested, it may be one's skills (or lack thereof) that gets one (or prevents one from getting) a position. I was considerably newer than most of the agency's other employees but I also had a number of skills to fall back on that made me marketable. The temp agency tended to place people who would be better in that position. It is their reputation at stake as well. They took great care of me and told me that I could always come back if I wanted and they would find a position(s) for me asap. Perhaps you should try a different company?

Old 06-15-2008, 12:28 PM

845 posts, read 2,744,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Does anyone else think that temporary agencies are a joke? I think they are. I have been to a few in the past and stopped going to them because they have all these jobs advertised and then when you get there and test, etc., you don't hear a word from them. Some of them will even admit to you, after they bring you in, that they don't have anything. I stopped going through them until yesterday when I went to one because I was desperate and got the same deal. They told me over the phone they had the perfect job for me and when I got there (a matter of hours later) they said they already gave it to someone else. They then proceed to tell me there isn't much out there. Also, they say they "market" people. Um, if I remember correctly, it used to be that they got you jobs. I don't need anyone to market me. I can do that myself. It is my feeling that these agencies bring people in under false pretences in order to justify their own jobs.
I have been temping for a year through Volt. I havent had a problem with them placing me in a job so far. But I did have your same experience with Kelly Services. I saw a job opening and gave them a call. They rushed me into the office and I took the tests and filled out all the paper work for them and the company I was supposed to work for. After all that they told me to call back to speak to the recruiter. I called for about a week and never heard from them and then a week later they finally called me back saying they already filled the position. That was my first and last experience with Kelly. I think the temp agencies are hit or miss.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
Sorry but I worked for a temp agency for a while (sans degree) and never had to concern myself with my next position. I always had something coming up that they were able to get me into. As Nelly has already suggested, it may be one's skills (or lack thereof) that gets one (or prevents one from getting) a position. I was considerably newer than most of the agency's other employees but I also had a number of skills to fall back on that made me marketable. The temp agency tended to place people who would be better in that position. It is their reputation at stake as well. They took great care of me and told me that I could always come back if I wanted and they would find a position(s) for me asap. Perhaps you should try a different company?
Well, I think it is the job market and my age plays a factor. Skills, well, I type 100 wpm and I can do shorthand and transcription. I can do over 13,000 kph data entry, I have a great deal of experience with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and lots of other software programs. I have alot of Internet experience as well as repairing computers. I have worked for 30 years now.

Last edited by PG77; 06-15-2008 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-16-2008, 11:36 AM

559 posts, read 1,395,387 times
When I temped I had better experiences with locally owned temp agencies. They had more jobs (for me, at least) than the local offices of the national agencies like Kelly, Adecco, etc.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,191 times
Default I completely agree on temp agencies

You're right!!! I decided to go back to work after my children got older and went to temp agencies. They made me do so much paperwork and never even called me. I have a degree and is completely unprofessional for them to make us waste our time like that.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
When I temped I had better experiences with locally owned temp agencies. They had more jobs (for me, at least) than the local offices of the national agencies like Kelly, Adecco, etc.
Do you know of any local agencies in Oxnard CA who will place you real fast for a short period of time? I'm looking for permanent employment but is taking a little while and we had a family emergency and need to cash fast.... Thanks in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment