Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:14 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

Annerk raises a good point. Many employers now want you to be available 24/7. So if you say I can't do nights (as in my case right now) or I don't want to do this shift or that shift, you get cut from the consideration pile.

So this cuts out a lot of parents (particularly moms) from working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 01:38 PM

137 posts, read 331,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Here's a quote from the article the OP posted:

The economy can’t be re-established on a sound basis without aggressive efforts to put people back to work in jobs with decent wages.

That pretty much says it all, and excessive government, taxes, and regulations, will not help.

The economic downturn started a couple of years ago, but what made it worse was the high oil prices we experienced last year, and recently. Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of OPEC, they've done it to us in the 1970's, and they're doing it again. If consumers have to spend more money filling up their gas tanks, they're going to cut back on spending somewhere else, and that will affect many sectors in the economy. When companies pay higher energy prices, they're also going to have to pass those costs on to the consumers.

Also, for the last 2 and a half years, and more recently, Nancy Pelosi and others like her in congress want to make things worse for everyone by imposing the so-called "Carbon Tax", which doesn't help anyone or anything, but makes things worse for the economy.

Low energy costs are one key factor to help the economic recovery, not those wasteful stimulus packages, which are nothing but a band-aid to fix a severed limb. The way to do this is to eliminate OPEC and increase our domestic oil production to become self-reliant on our own oil, which we have enough of to last us for at least 50 years. Of course the only way to do that is to tell Pelosi, and environmentalists to take a hike, because we can produce our own oil without causing any problems to the environment.
BRAVO! People need to wake up at the polls next November or we're doomed.

BTW, I thought in America, one could make their own decisions on the type of vehicle that fits their needs or dreams. Since when do we need to give that freedom up and allow some whacko environmentalist, tell us we should be more like Europe- where there are restrictions on the types of vehicles manufactured. Where is this country heading and why are people caving in to this hoax? America = freedom (well, it used too).

Old 07-01-2009, 02:15 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior 88 fan View Post
BRAVO! People need to wake up at the polls next November or we're doomed.

BTW, I thought in America, one could make their own decisions on the type of vehicle that fits their needs or dreams. Since when do we need to give that freedom up and allow some whacko environmentalist, tell us we should be more like Europe- where there are restrictions on the types of vehicles manufactured. Where is this country heading and why are people caving in to this hoax? America = freedom (well, it used too).
Thank you.

The auto manufacturers have made great advances in technology to enable larger vehicles to get good gas mileage and reduce pollutants, and I defnitely agree with you on not letting environmentalists tell us what kind of automobiles we need to drive. It should be up to each and every individual.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:19 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Then don't complain when gas hits $5 a gallon. I was in the gas station the other day and there was a lady driving an Excursion whining about it costing her $80 to fill her tank. Frankly I don't care what people drive, but they need to deal with the fact that if if they buy a car that gets 18 mpg, it's going to cost them dearly at the pump on a regular basis, and those of us who drive cars that get high mpg are going to be laughing at them and telling them to shut up with the whining.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:44 PM

137 posts, read 331,705 times
Unfotunately, due to the fact that we cannot drill for our own oil in the many known fields in North America, gas will indeed go that high or higher, if the DC Dictator and his nutcase puppy dogs - who follow him around like the pied piper, get their ways. They envision a day when nobody can afford to fill their gus guzzling tanks and are forced to drive an unsafe roller skate. Dont forget about the cost to farmers to produce with increased gas costs, truck drivers to deliver it to your market and the hundreds of thousands who have trucks to use for their jobs in construction, snow removal, etc. Yep, want to see America come to a screaching halt, keep supporting these kooks in DC. BTW, it is OK for them to have their useless congressman butts driven around in a Suburban, but not OK for the rest of us to have one. Hmmmm.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:52 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Then don't complain when gas hits $5 a gallon. I was in the gas station the other day and there was a lady driving an Excursion whining about it costing her $80 to fill her tank. Frankly I don't care what people drive, but they need to deal with the fact that if if they buy a car that gets 18 mpg, it's going to cost them dearly at the pump on a regular basis, and those of us who drive cars that get high mpg are going to be laughing at them and telling them to shut up with the whining.
Eliminate our dependence on those scum-bags from OPEC, and we wouldn't have to deal with gas costing $5.00 a gallon.

Remember, it's not just us drivers that will be affected by higher gas prices, but it's every industry that depends on gasoline/fuel for their livelihood, truck drivers, airlines, and many others in the transportation industry.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Eliminate our dependence on those scum-bags from OPEC, and we wouldn't have to deal with gas costing $5.00 a gallon.

Remember, it's not just us drivers that will be affected by higher gas prices, but it's every industry that depends on gasoline/fuel for their livelihood, truck drivers, airlines, and many others in the transportation industry.
Many are switching to CNG, a cleaner resource. Others are using biodeisel, a renewable resource. If we'd all cut back on unnessecary consumption, that would be a step in the right direction.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
The USA was plunked into this 'need for cars' and the refusal to build trains like they have in Europe, light rail, and safe, clean buses that ACTUALLY take you where you need to go.

So, like my former Long Island that Robert Moses envisioned, people either need a car (and must pay the piper) or deal with what bad public transport we have out there.

I remember reading one of these 'trends' books and they were talking about most people eventually living in 'communities' like in "Florida" for retirees. You know, where they have sidewalks and all the shops, the library, and entertainment within walking distance.

That may be the best idea. Reducing the need for gas, cars, and so on.
However, Americans love their cars and personal space. As far as someone owning a gas guzzler then crying about it, too bad. You bought it, you made the choice.

Why does the average person 'need' a huge SUV that they really cannot drive anyhow!!?? (watch them park, it's funny!!)

Old 07-01-2009, 04:54 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
I feel for ya Gypsy & Miss Crabcakes-
I've been out of work 4 months now, with only a few interviews. Like you I've "done everything right" - resume verified as excellent, dressed professionally, done mock interviews to perfect my technique, been flexible regarding hours and pay, and STILL no offers yet. What does a person have to do?????????? It seems like employers TRY to find some reason to NOT hire a person

Oh-stupid me!!! From a lot of posts on CD, the answers for us "lazy" job seekers are so very simple, easy, inexpensive, and so,so obvious how could we have missed them

1-Keep moving to where the jobs are
2-Keep going back to school to be a health care professional or other "flavor of the month" hot new career
3- Wear a suit
4- Work on "our attitudes" because it HAS to be our fault-There's PLENTY of jobs out there if you TRULY want to work right? (this one is really getting old)

Hang in there-Our day HAS to come, doesn;t it?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
Why does the unemployment situation seem to get pushed under the table??? Without job recovery, all other government stimulus will fail to get us out of this mess that we're in . What will it take to get MAJOR JOB CREATION in the us????

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/27/op..._r=2&th&emc=th

Brief excerpt from the above :

One of the great stories you’ll be hearing over the next couple of years will be about the large number of Americans who were forced out of work in this recession and remained unable to find gainful employment after the recession ended. We’re basically in denial about this.

There are now more than five unemployed workers for every job opening in the United States. The ranks of the poor are growing, welfare rolls are rising and young American men on a broad front are falling into an abyss of joblessness.

No unemployed person should be reading articles like this. I mean what would be the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment