Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:52 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,102,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So after person Tweaks and Tweaks and Tweaks their resume and still no job interviews what else should they do?
In some cases, there's not much they can do. Gypsy is tutoring, she's staying active, she's volunteering. Unless she moves, in all honesty it could take her several years to find a job--there are simply no jobs where she lives.

You seem to think that everyone is like you. You are a single guy with no house, no car, no debt, no kids, no life. This world doesn't fit into your cookie cutter as much as you think it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 11:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,767,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In some cases, there's not much they can do. Gypsy is tutoring, she's staying active, she's volunteering. Unless she moves, in all honesty it could take her several years to find a job--there are simply no jobs where she lives.

You seem to think that everyone is like you. You are a single guy with no house, no car, no debt, no kids, no life. This world doesn't fit into your cookie cutter as much as you think it should.
And a MAJOR barrier to her moving is that her husband is employed and, if they uproot, both of them will be unemployed. TVSG has no knowledge of or compassion for or interest in his fellow man or woman. It's all about him and how brilliant he is in his boringly miniscule world.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:05 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,911,584 times
Gypsy - I think you should try to have your own business. If you can balance a checkbook, I know many seniors could use your services. Why don't you check with your local bank and see which one of their senior customers might be interested in this service and contact them. Maybe you could also be a personal assistant for someone. Check with Vermont Teddybear and see if you could be a distributor. There might be niches in there you might be able to fill...just think real hard. You may find that your opportunities are not in a corporate environment.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:21 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,457,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Gypsy - I think you should try to have your own business. If you can balance a checkbook, I know many seniors could use your services. Why don't you check with your local bank and see which one of their senior customers might be interested in this service and contact them. Maybe you could also be a personal assistant for someone. Check with Vermont Teddybear and see if you could be a distributor. There might be niches in there you might be able to fill...just think real hard. You may find that your opportunities are not in a corporate environment.
bibit, this is a really good idea. A guy was riding by my house one day and I happened to be walking out to my car. For $3 he told me he'd re-paint the address on my street in front of my house. I thought, wow, ok! I asked him how long he'd been doing this and he said about nine years. Talk about thinking outside the box.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:24 PM

TVGuy, I want to comment on this analyzing every move you make. With all the individual personality variables out there, this really is a waste of time. One person might like it when someone comments on something in the office. Another might find it inappropriate and not relevant to the discussion at hand. I know I'd go crazy analyzing every teeny, tiny thing not to mention half of the time my "assumptions" would just be flat out wrong.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,078,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
TVGuy, I want to comment on this analyzing every move you make. With all the individual personality variables out there, this really is a waste of time. One person might like it when someone comments on something in the office. Another might find it inappropriate and not relevant to the discussion at hand. I know I'd go crazy analyzing every teeny, tiny thing not to mention half of the time my "assumptions" would just be flat out wrong.
It doesn't have to be everything but it doesn't hurt to think about what you can improve for future interviews

Old 07-03-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It doesn't have to be everything but it doesn't hurt to think about what you can improve for future interviews
The saying comes to mind...one person's treasure is another person's junk. I agree there are the basics to job hunting - show up 10 minutes early, dress well, be polite, show enthusiasm, research the company, ask questions, ask for the job, tell them exactly how you WILL add value, bring in relevant experience and on and on. Aside from that, so much in finding a job has to do with timing, who knows who, if the interviewer likes or doesn't like long hair or pearls, jewelry or none, etc. Therefore, I think it's a waste of time to spend analyzing minutae. The best thing to do is just to do one's best and blow it off if things don't work out. Of course, being positive works.

However, you are in a different situation from many posters here. First, I am making the assumption you are a white male, but I could be wrong. Am I? If true, your chances just shot up in terms of getting hired. You are also a YOUNG male. Again, your chances just shot up. Are you the right weight? Again, your chances just shot up. Are you better than average looking? Again, your chances just shot up.

My point is that so much of this job hunting includes variables beyond our control.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:02 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,425,757 times
Thank you, Gypsy Soul. I so tired of hearing all of the excuses and retraining ranks right up there, also. Most people I know of lately have achieved their employment through pure luck.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:55 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,087,868 times
Thank you for everyone who has 'defended me' and tried to understand. TV Guy, your point of keep on trying is well taken. I am sorry if I have turned into a complainer or '***** too much' recently.

I have just been knocked for a loop after trying and trying and not getting anywhere. Worrying has made me testy. Imagine waiting for your life to start for months and months. Sometimes I feel like I am in prison. Then I get angry at myself for being a cry baby, and it's like a vicious cycle of 'self blame.'

Forgive me if I strike out in sarcasm and or frustration.

I accept the fact that I moved to a place with poor job prospects and maybe do not know how things work in rural areas. I am from a large suburban area outside NY so finding a job was never a problem. IF you had to work, you could get a retail job pretty easily. Here, as Annerk says, it's a good job. Also, I think there is a lot of 'who you know' going on (and being from another state, I don't have many contacts here to call upon!)

Unfortunately, we cannot uproot ourselves (we renewed our lease for now). I have to grit my teeth and hang in there, and retool and maybe pay for a test so I can get my teaching certification in this state and maybe sub or get a job that way.

I think there was a person who said you have to keep reinventing yourself these days.

It's true. The problem is, the older you get, the harder it seems to 'start over.' Then again, Colonel Sanders hit it big at 65, so we all have hope!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:45 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,128,633 times
This seems like a great time to start your own business. Companies are not hiring but the demand for products services is still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment