Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,216,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
So says an employed person.
I bet if you were out of work as long as some of us you'd be pretty vocal about it.

I mean, heck you got a little bit of a cut check from unemployment and you were spiraling out of control and crying about eating cereal. You also constantly griped how you didn't want a job x miles away because you had bus issues.

Now you have steady wages are you trying to save so you can have a cushion in case you get fired/laid off again? I mean, if someone getting a check every week or two and who was steadily employed gets knocked out by a few months of unemployment what would you be like if you had to hang on like some of us (without a check kicking in by the way) for MONTHS and MONTHS??

Wait, you'd say, "never complain, just get up today and find a great job. It's all about complaining vs. doing!!"

I do hope you learned and have begun to sack away your paycheck.

Yes I was determined to find a job close to home and wasn't going to quit until I did. See it's very easy to complain and feel sorry for yourself when you are laid off and that's why I laughed instead. People were amazed at how I was not bothered by being unemployed without a job in sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 04:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,929,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yes I was determined to find a job close to home and wasn't going to quit until I did. See it's very easy to complain and feel sorry for yourself when you are laid off and that's why I laughed instead. People were amazed at how I was not bothered by being unemployed without a job in sight.
You whined and moaned throughout the whole process and now that you have a job your condescending attitude towards others is pathetic and shows your true colors - as though they weren't evident a long time ago. The only thing "amazing" about you is that you've managed to reach your early 30s without having learned anything much about life and social relationships.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:47 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,123,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You whined and moaned throughout the whole process and now that you have a job your condescending attitude towards others is pathetic and shows your true colors - as though they weren't evident a long time ago. The only thing "amazing" about you is that you've managed to reach your early 30s without having learned anything much about life and social relationships.
Don't forget he's financially irresponsible. Why don't you have any savings by now? If you are in your early 30s and worked so long, you should have a nice amount saved. Especially now, you should be if you make more money than you used to.

Let me tell you that in 10 years if you find yourself in the same boat as me (I'd say I am about 10 years older than you) the doors are not going to fly open for you. Even if you think your 'magical formula' of 'ignoring the economy' is your secret to success.

In August, September, I ignored it, too. In November and December...and so on till I realized it was 'not me', 'not my skills or lack of whatever', but something seriously wrong--the jobs are just not there.

Now, I agree, you cannot sit around and whine and expect a job to come to you. Nor can you quit. But if you are trying your best and 'following the advice' and still you do not have a job, well, I think a person is entitled to get a bit upset now and again.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,224,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Don't forget about only being able to afford cheerios (or was that fruit loops?)
I thought it was CoCo Puffs. Like in KOOKOO

Old 07-02-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah when the state of PA did me dirty and had me HUNGRY for 2 weeks
Oh please. You could have gone to a thrift shop for clothes, delayed buying clothes, or done what the average person would have, charged $40 worth of food on your credit card and paid the bill when it arrived. The State of PA did nothing wrong, you tried to scam them and get unemployment when you weren't eligible.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:

At one point you were talking about topping looking for work and taking the summer off. In case you forgot.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,474,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Apparently you love to generalize. The only shame is people like you who continue to feed the myth that 'if only' redid' my resume or 'smiled 4.5 times' I would be employed.

There are just far too many people for the jobs. Get that in your HR wanna be head.

Funny I have ALWAYS been told I have an awesome resume. In Sept. I interviewed with an agency I was with to find future jobs. The woman said to me, "Your resume is wonderful."

The thing that happened...the jobs dried up. They have had one job or less in this area in the last 10 months in administration. The same for the other 'agencies.' Suddenly this company is scrambling to stay afloat by offering to push our resumes to the top of the list (despite not having any jobs) if we PAY them to...

Yes, now I can be 'analyzed' as having an 'attitude' which I 'must project' at all interviews so maybe along with these 'nervous ticks' that must be WHY I can't get job...(whatever)...Or maybe it's my pink lipstick instead of light red...or my hair having one strand of grey or my lack of ?????(please insert today's 'reason.')

There is a hiring freeze at nearly every company and agency in the area.

But, I forgot, it must be me, or you other long term unemployed people. WE are the screw ups....

Suddenly I have to dissect every little bit about myself thanks to the lack of jobs that many of us used to do.

So, stop saying, "most people do not do XYZ" like your secret formula is going to bring back the jobs lost to corruption and greed and outsourcing.

I am so sick of people who are unemployed being the whipping boys of the economy.

Go tell those folks who worked for GM that THEY SCREWED UP and sorry, now they do not have jobs but maybe if they 'interview better' they will get jobs or if they 'retool their resumes' they can get hired tomorrow for 'non-existent jobs.'

Now it's time for the 'retort' that I 1) must have an attitude of bitterness I take to interviews (myth 1 of why I cannot get a job) or 2) my lipstick should be pink not red (myth 2) or maybe I fiddled with my watch 1.2 seconds (myth 3) and so on......

I guess the only time this will hit home for people is when THEY are on the unemployment line. Then feel free to apply all awesome advice like "dress nicely" so you can quickly get a new job (which I am sure you will...)
Bravo post (and I can't give you more rep until I spread some around). Your whole post is so dead on I cannot even edit any of it. It is so terribly frustrating. Thank God the roof over my head is paid for, otherwise I think I'd be really sunk, as opposed to only feeling like a wash-up.

Going to go to the Dr. (at least I still have health insurance for another year - then who knows...) as I can't seem to have more than two or three hours of energy each morning. I am sure part of this is due to the sad state of affairs in this country and what lies ahead. At least I have my volunteer "job." I am grateful for this.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:00 PM
acj

30 posts, read 105,644 times
Quote:

Old 07-02-2009, 12:13 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,360,422 times
This is a time when everyone needs to think...is this what I want to be doing for the next five, ten, or twenty years? Is this job a great job or is it a golden choke chain...how hard do I have to work in this new economy...will my hard work be noticed or is a union going to crush that with senority?

people should be looking for a job that they want to work in. This rise in unemployment is partly due to people working in jobs they dont like or do not pay them enough to fit their lifestyle.

I recently got two jobs back to back and I dont feel bad about it one bit. I got a job at a pizza shop cooking pizza and then got a job as a screen printer.. I can work both jobs and still have time for myself and they are jobs that i want to do. Ultimately I want to own my own business again, but it is tough right now. So I am working in jobs that i can do and love to do.

The biggest problem I have noticed is that when a person gets a job they dont keep it because it wasnt what they expected...people need to start doing their homework on the places they are applying.

We cannot soly blame the companies or the government for this issue...we are all responsible in one way or another. We still have the ability to stop this if we want to, but some people refuse to do what they must to get what they want and need.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:19 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,474,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
The biggest problem I have noticed is that when a person gets a job they dont keep it because it wasnt what they expected...people need to start doing their homework on the places they are applying.

We cannot soly blame the companies or the government for this issue...we are all responsible in one way or another. We still have the ability to stop this if we want to, but some people refuse to do what they must to get what they want and need.
Aha. What about the companies that exploit their workers because they can? This is what happened to me in my last job. It was a huge mistake to take it and I knew this after one day so I quit. Then HR talked me into staying on. Then after I was in the position a few months HR came out with this goofy termination policy wherein our arses were on the line every week to meet the numbers - in a social services job. This led to such a nightmare for me I quit. I should have just stayed quit when I quit the first time, as jobs were a lot easier to find back then.

No, I don't think it's all about the workers these days not doing their homework. Companies are bilking this bad situation for all it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment