Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,063,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Don't forget he's financially irresponsible. Why don't you have any savings by now? If you are in your early 30s and worked so long, you should have a nice amount saved. Especially now, you should be if you make more money than you used to.

Let me tell you that in 10 years if you find yourself in the same boat as me (I'd say I am about 10 years older than you) the doors are not going to fly open for you. Even if you think your 'magical formula' of 'ignoring the economy' is your secret to success.

In August, September, I ignored it, too. In November and December...and so on till I realized it was 'not me', 'not my skills or lack of whatever', but something seriously wrong--the jobs are just not there.

Now, I agree, you cannot sit around and whine and expect a job to come to you. Nor can you quit. But if you are trying your best and 'following the advice' and still you do not have a job, well, I think a person is entitled to get a bit upset now and again.

You always have to feel that you need to do something better if you are unemployed month after month. No unemployed person can say-"I'm doing everything right but I'm still unemployed" because if that was true you would be working. Each day I was unemployed I woke up saying-"what can I do differently today?" Not-"I don't need to do anything different because I'm doing everything right"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 06:04 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
aha. What about the companies that exploit their workers because they can? This is what happened to me in my last job. It was a huge mistake to take it and i knew this after one day so i quit. Then hr talked me into staying on. Then after i was in the position a few months hr came out with this goofy termination policy wherein our arses were on the line every week to meet the numbers - in a social services job. This led to such a nightmare for me i quit. I should have just stayed quit when i quit the first time, as jobs were a lot easier to find back then.

No, i don't think it's all about the workers these days not doing their homework. Companies are bilking this bad situation for all it's worth.

goals have to be met in every job

Old 07-02-2009, 11:34 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,039,063 times
You always have to feel that you need to do something better if you are unemployed month after month. No unemployed person can say-"I'm doing everything right but I'm still unemployed" because if that was true you would be working. Each day I was unemployed I woke up saying-"what can I do differently today?" Not-"I don't need to do anything different because I'm doing everything right"

Forgive Gypsy, for like a lot of us here, she forgot she was in the Presence of Greatness
Give me an F%&^& break!!! You get a job and suddenly your God Almighty? Just what exactly makes you suddenly an employment expert that can judge people you don;t even know?? I USED to think some folks here were a bit harsh on you in these forums, but now I'm beginning to think differently.
Sorry bout the rant-I will now bow to the Master

Old 07-02-2009, 11:36 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
the free fall has stopped (at an enormous cost) but not the recession.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:21 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post

Forgive Gypsy, for like a lot of us here, she forgot she was in the Presence of Greatness
Give me an F%&^& break!!! You get a job and suddenly your God Almighty? Just what exactly makes you suddenly an employment expert that can judge people you don;t even know?? I USED to think some folks here were a bit harsh on you in these forums, but now I'm beginning to think differently.
Sorry bout the rant-I will now bow to the Master

i'm a expert in maintaining a positive attitude. I do know that you can't accomplish anything in life if you are not positive.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:05 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,084,406 times
Pardon me, but I never get up and say, "I am doing everything right." I have consistently changed my job hunting strategies and I am always revising my resume, reading job hunting books and asking for 'feedback' after interviews.

TV Guy, I would love for you to come live here...not in big city Philly, and find a job.

Don't give me the 'so move' b.s. either. My husband has a job here. Should we both MOVE so we can both be unemployed? Yeah, that makes sense.

You were just lucky. No, I do not see you as an aggressive job seeker or 'somehow more special' than the rest of us...

Face it. A lot of getting a job is luck.

If you were at the end of your savings and living on your UE check, them I am GLAD you got a job. In the scheme of things, that is wonderful. At least you have money in your pocket again and don't have to worry.

I, however, do not attribute it to you being 'a better job hunter with a kick ass attitude.' You live in a place that probably has more jobs than some of us in less developed areas.

I find your post (how I would have a job if I was doing something RIGHT) insulting. It's typical of all the nasty misconceptions about job hunting.
Trying hard and 'being happy' is not going to find you a job. It will keep you going but there will be down days.

You see, TV Guy, I have something you do not have...persistence. I bet if you were looking at month 11 w/out a job you'd be singing a far more bitter tune. You will certainly not be lecturing others how "putting on a happy face" or "keep trying" will get you the job. Maybe I seem annoyed here, but it's my venting outlet since at home I can't really vent. Meanwhile, I listen to all the self motivating stuff I can and I still get out there and try to dig up jobs every day.

It means trying to walk the line between being 'an outsider' (I've lived here 2 years) and 'not being too aggressive' (they hate that here) and 'toning down the NY' (NYers are not popular anywhere...). Unlike in a bigger city, smaller cities and towns have a very different way of doing things. So I am beginning to realize all the tips I have learned and so forth don't cut it here. So I am learning (job tip #2033 "Learn from your mistakes..")

Also, I am not a 'single person' who can take 'any job.' I have family responsibilities (like many others) so that cuts down on 'what I can and cannot do' for work.

TV Guy, well, sorry...but you're very smug these days, now you are inside the party again.

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 07-03-2009 at 05:25 AM..

Old 07-03-2009, 08:09 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Pardon me, but I never get up and say, "I am doing everything right." I have consistently changed my job hunting strategies and I am always revising my resume, reading job hunting books and asking for 'feedback' after interviews.

TV Guy, I would love for you to come live here...not in big city Philly, and find a job.

Don't give me the 'so move' b.s. either. My husband has a job here. Should we both MOVE so we can both be unemployed? Yeah, that makes sense.

You were just lucky. No, I do not see you as an aggressive job seeker or 'somehow more special' than the rest of us...

Face it. A lot of getting a job is luck.

If you were at the end of your savings and living on your UE check, them I am GLAD you got a job. In the scheme of things, that is wonderful. At least you have money in your pocket again and don't have to worry.

I, however, do not attribute it to you being 'a better job hunter with a kick ass attitude.' You live in a place that probably has more jobs than some of us in less developed areas.

I find your post (how I would have a job if I was doing something RIGHT) insulting. It's typical of all the nasty misconceptions about job hunting.
Trying hard and 'being happy' is not going to find you a job. It will keep you going but there will be down days.

You see, TV Guy, I have something you do not have...persistence. I bet if you were looking at month 11 w/out a job you'd be singing a far more bitter tune. You will certainly not be lecturing others how "putting on a happy face" or "keep trying" will get you the job. Maybe I seem annoyed here, but it's my venting outlet since at home I can't really vent. Meanwhile, I listen to all the self motivating stuff I can and I still get out there and try to dig up jobs every day.

It means trying to walk the line between being 'an outsider' (I've lived here 2 years) and 'not being too aggressive' (they hate that here) and 'toning down the NY' (NYers are not popular anywhere...). Unlike in a bigger city, smaller cities and towns have a very different way of doing things. So I am beginning to realize all the tips I have learned and so forth don't cut it here. So I am learning (job tip #2033 "Learn from your mistakes..")

Also, I am not a 'single person' who can take 'any job.' I have family responsibilities (like many others) so that cuts down on 'what I can and cannot do' for work.

TV Guy, well, sorry...but you're very smug these days, now you are inside the party again.
My statement about doing everything right was about me. After being rejected the entire month of february I said that I'm doing something wrong and I need to figure out what it is and by April I figured out it was how I interviewed. Up until April, I became more conversational on interviews which made me more likable and that's why I had 3 job offers in one month. I agreed with everything the interviewer said and showed how much I valued their opinion about the company. Before April I never did any of that which is why I was getting rejected. I learned that job interviews are all about seeing if your personality is a good fit not how much work experience you have and how many degrees you have because it was already determined that you were qualified for the job from your experience and education when they called you in for a interview. So do like I did and think about what you could have done better in your interviews and make the necessary adjustments. Remember you have to be your worst critic at a time like this.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Could you be any more arrogant?

Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,245,736 times
I agree with TVandSportsGuy........it is all in the interview! If the person who is interviewing you likes you and feels as though you are a person who they will like bumping into all day, then they are more prone to hire you.

Many times the interviewer feels just as nervous and awkward as you do. So, look around their office and try to find SOMETHING in there that gives you both common ground. I'm not talking about saying "Wow, great kids!". It is finding something personal about the interviewer that you can also identify with and make mention of. It relaxes BOTH of you. Then you'll end up with a conversation rather than a stiff interview.

I'm personal friends with my supervisor now, but she has told me she knew from the time we first met (the interview) that she would enjoy working with me. WHY? Because I immediately remarked about her great looking IKEA lamp and how they had so many great light fixtures until I was having a hard time just picking one out of the bunch. Then, we proceeded with the interview already on some relaxed common ground.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
i'm a expert in maintaining a positive attitude. I do know that you can't accomplish anything in life if you are not positive.
Why don't you go eat your Fruit Loops and take your attitude with you. You hardly have a positive attitude. In fact anyone who goes and reads your posts will assume that you either drink or are one of the stupidest bas***** to ever roam the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment