Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:31 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Apparently you love to generalize. The only shame is people like you who continue to feed the myth that 'if only' redid' my resume or 'smiled 4.5 times' I would be employed.

There are just far too many people for the jobs. Get that in your HR wanna be head.

Funny I have ALWAYS been told I have an awesome resume. In Sept. I interviewed with an agency I was with to find future jobs. The woman said to me, "Your resume is wonderful."

The thing that happened...the jobs dried up. They have had one job or less in this area in the last 10 months in administration. The same for the other 'agencies.' Suddenly this company is scrambling to stay afloat by offering to push our resumes to the top of the list (despite not having any jobs) if we PAY them to...

Yes, now I can be 'analyzed' as having an 'attitude' which I 'must project' at all interviews so maybe along with these 'nervous ticks' that must be WHY I can't get job...(whatever)...Or maybe it's my pink lipstick instead of light red...or my hair having one strand of grey or my lack of ?????(please insert today's 'reason.')

There is a hiring freeze at nearly every company and agency in the area.

But, I forgot, it must be me, or you other long term unemployed people. WE are the screw ups....

Suddenly I have to dissect every little bit about myself thanks to the lack of jobs that many of us used to do.

So, stop saying, "most people do not do XYZ" like your secret formula is going to bring back the jobs lost to corruption and greed and outsourcing.

I am so sick of people who are unemployed being the whipping boys of the economy.

Go tell those folks who worked for GM that THEY SCREWED UP and sorry, now they do not have jobs but maybe if they 'interview better' they will get jobs or if they 'retool their resumes' they can get hired tomorrow for 'non-existent jobs.'

Now it's time for the 'retort' that I 1) must have an attitude of bitterness I take to interviews (myth 1 of why I cannot get a job) or 2) my lipstick should be pink not red (myth 2) or maybe I fiddled with my watch 1.2 seconds (myth 3) and so on......

I guess the only time this will hit home for people is when THEY are on the unemployment line. Then feel free to apply all awesome advice like "dress nicely" so you can quickly get a new job (which I am sure you will...)
*applause*

I'll rep you when I can but I agree with every word.

I've been told by several recruiters that my resume, education and professional background was impressive and that I was well liked by several hiring managers, have revamped my entire resume 4 times since December, have 5 different resumes tailored to 5 different field, revamp that and my cover letter for every 100+ application I've put out, spend half a day researching and prepping for interviews and also come prepared to answer and ask pertinent questions and what it comes down to is I'm competing with a the masses for every position. I was told today that a position I applied to, recieved 150 resumes as well. I've heard over 200 for others, in just the first 2 days.

WT is always, always blaming the unemployed and does not ever even try to consider what numbers we are against. I have never had this problem getting jobs before. It is not all our faults. I have a dozen friends looking out for me and sending my resume on and have met with 4 placement agencies. And they have all brought nada. The opportunities just aren't there right now.

But some of us are busting our ASSES off to get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 10:39 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times
Default I agree, the situation is impossible for many job hunters

I agree with you, jobs are very hard to find, some candidates will never get a good job in their field maybe ever again and will have to re train and re invent themselves. All I am saying that you have a better chance to find a job if you play by the rules and have a great resume, job search strategy and interview skills. Though I understand you could be a perfect job hunter but still not find a job quickly. But you have a better chance if you know the rules of the game. Many candidates do not play the job hunt game well and make no effort to learn it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
*applause*

I'll rep you when I can but I agree with every word.

I've been told by several recruiters that my resume, education and professional background was impressive and that I was well liked by several hiring managers, have revamped my entire resume 4 times since December, have 5 different resumes tailored to 5 different field, revamp that and my cover letter for every 100+ application I've put out, spend half a day researching and prepping for interviews and also come prepared to answer and ask pertinent questions and what it comes down to is I'm competing with a the masses for every position. I was told today that a position I applied to, recieved 150 resumes as well. I've heard over 200 for others, in just the first 2 days.

WT is always, always blaming the unemployed and does not ever even try to consider what numbers we are against. I have never had this problem getting jobs before. It is not all our faults. I have a dozen friends looking out for me and sending my resume on and have met with 4 placement agencies. And they have all brought nada. The opportunities just aren't there right now.

But some of us are busting our ASSES off to get one.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:43 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Thumbs down People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Deregulation huh? Gee, we see how well that worked in the banking sector.

The problem with ever increasing productivity is that eventually higher unemployment is bound to follow. The answer would appear upon casual observation to lower birth rates thus over time decreasing the number of people looking for jobs in the first place. The problem with that is that we need more workers to pay for social security so that we’ll be able to continue to pay out that benefit to the Baby Boomers that will retire en mass within the next five to ten years.

To my mind this is why the war in Iraq is so tragic; we spent money we didn’t have to fight a war we didn’t have to when we really should have been dealing with our nations own domestic issues. Respected economists were warning of these problems back in 2001 but for some strange reason nobody wanted to listen….
I'll agree the Iraq war was an expensive and probably not monumental in the security of our country. But in just 6 months Obama and congress have spent enough money for us to go to Iraq 5 times over again. If you want to complain about spending wasteful money we don't have now would be the time.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I agree with you, jobs are very hard to find, some candidates will never get a good job in their field maybe ever again and will have to re train and re invent themselves. All I am saying that you have a better chance to find a job if you play by the rules and have a great resume, job search strategy and interview skills. Though I understand you could be a perfect job hunter but still not find a job quickly. But you have a better chance if you know the rules of the game. Many candidates do not play the job hunt game well and make no effort to learn it.
First off, Miss Crabcakes, I appreciate your comments.

WT, if this is so widespread, why don't I come across these people when I am going for a job?? Apparently if there are so many screw ups out there, those of us with skills and who dress nicely would be getting job offers. *waves to Miss Crabcakes and a few others on here.*

Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I understand this. Many others understand this.

But even if everybody played by the rules of the job hunting game, you would still have millions out of work right now because there is too much supply and too little demand. And because employers can pick and choose candidates based on any criteria they want. I had an employer recently reject me after an interview because they could not contact HR from my last job after I clearly told him the company had closed and everyone had been let go. We talked about it during the interview and it was all on the news. I don't have a contact for them after they are gone.

They can do whatever they want, and it doesn't matter if I play by the "rules".

Old 07-01-2009, 11:14 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times
Default People with good job hunting skills will always have a better chance at employment

Even in today's tough market, in many cases there are enough people with very poor job hunting skills that someone who knows how to play the game can rise to the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I understand this. Many others understand this.

But even if everybody played by the rules of the job hunting game, you would still have millions out of work right now because there is too much supply and too little demand. And because employers can pick and choose candidates based on any criteria they want. I had an employer recently reject me after an interview because they could not contact HR from my last job after I clearly told him the company had closed and everyone had been let go. We talked about it during the interview and it was all on the news. I don't have a contact for them after they are gone.

They can do whatever they want, and it doesn't matter if I play by the "rules".

Old 07-01-2009, 11:50 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Less taxes and less regulations. The cap and trade bill they want to pass will be like kicking us when we're down. Especailly to manufacturing which relies heavily on affordable energy. Not to mention the Bush tax cuts of 03 are set to expire next year. Companies big and small are being faced with bigger costs and less revenue. There's no way they can hire workers in that climate. It's time we elected some people that will remove these obstacles instead of put them in front of us.
Definitely fewer taxes. I think the cap and trade thing will be a disaster for this country. California has a lot of environmental regulations and taxes and look what has happened there. People are leaving the state and unemployment is rising because it is too expensive to hire anyone. I don't think we need anymore stimulus packages to fix the economy but we desperately need tax cuts. Tax cuts did work to get us out of the 80's recession.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Many of the very qualified (on paper) people I've seen not getting jobs aren't qualified because they can't offer what an employer is looking for. They won't work evenings, overtime, Saturdays. They won't work for less than they made at a prior position. They have no one to vouch for their work ethic and abilities despite having been in the workforce for 10+ years--which is a huge red flag for employers.

Being qualified means more than having an education or experience. If you don't have the qualifications an employer is looking for, then you aren't qualified, regardless of what you do have to offer.

The last company I worked for had a terrible time recruiting in some areas because people didn't want to work evenings or weekends (we were retail), had daycare issues so they couldn't work past 4:00 pm or before 9:00 am, didn't want to abide by the company dress code that required good grooming and no visable tattoos, etc. And then they wondered why they couldn't get hired.

Last edited by annerk; 07-01-2009 at 12:29 PM..

Old 07-01-2009, 12:57 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Here's a quote from the article the OP posted:

The economy can’t be re-established on a sound basis without aggressive efforts to put people back to work in jobs with decent wages.

That pretty much says it all, and excessive government, taxes, and regulations, will not help.

The economic downturn started a couple of years ago, but what made it worse was the high oil prices we experienced last year, and recently. Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of OPEC, they've done it to us in the 1970's, and they're doing it again. If consumers have to spend more money filling up their gas tanks, they're going to cut back on spending somewhere else, and that will affect many sectors in the economy. When companies pay higher energy prices, they're also going to have to pass those costs on to the consumers.

Also, for the last 2 and a half years, and more recently, Nancy Pelosi and others like her in congress want to make things worse for everyone by imposing the so-called "Carbon Tax", which doesn't help anyone or anything, but makes things worse for the economy.

Low energy costs are one key factor to help the economic recovery, not those wasteful stimulus packages, which are nothing but a band-aid to fix a severed limb. The way to do this is to eliminate OPEC and increase our domestic oil production to become self-reliant on our own oil, which we have enough of to last us for at least 50 years. Of course the only way to do that is to tell Pelosi, and environmentalists to take a hike, because we can produce our own oil without causing any problems to the environment.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
If people would stop buying gas guzzling SUV's and if we would increase production of sustainable and renewable energy sources, it woudl all be moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment