Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I live in the US and have heard of TinTin....

As a kid, a cartoon would come on in the mornings...never was a big fan of it, but it was on nonetheless..

Thought it was kind of boring then and still think it is.
Yes, the cartoon was kind of boring. I only watched it because I didn't want to miss the cartoons that came on after it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 06:21 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
My husband knows Tintin, and he grew up in the Philippines in the 80's and 90's.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:16 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
because their French teachers used the books in class.
Have you ever wondered why ???

Actually the language in Asterix, is pretty good grammatically !!!

BTW, we have the whole series of Asterix, in hard cover, in the German Language.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:23 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Funny thing, one of the first books I can recall "reading" (at an age when I mostly looked at the pictures) and holding in hardcover was one of the Tintin comic books, The Secret of the Unicorn, which was bought for me at a garage sale or something, if I recall correctly.

From what people here are saying (which agrees with my experience), it does seem like many Canadians know. My friend from grade eight said it was his favourite comic character and we grew up in Ontario in the 90s, so it wasn't that long ago.

Yeah more English-speaking Canadians seem to know about it than I had observed. Still not as unanimous as in other places but not completely unknown.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:

As a kid, a cartoon would come on in the mornings...never was a big fan of it, but it was on nonetheless..

I am a big fan of the Tintin books but I was never fond of the cartoon TV series of half-hour episodes.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Asterix is very popular in Australia, much more so than Tintin. Personally im suprised that you thought we might not know about it.

I was referring to the origional live action asterix movie "Asterix and Obelix Take on Ceaser", I was really looking forward to that one, and was bit dissapointed by the end result. I have not seen any of the other live action asterix films.
My favourite Astérix live action movie is Astérix et Obélix: Mission Cléopatre from about 10 years ago. It features Monica Bellucci as Cleopatra.

The animated film Astérix et les Vikings is fairly recent and was pretty good I thought.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:37 PM

OK, we are having fun with Tintin. Now let's try another one:

Monty Python!

Personally, I know Monty Python because I lived many years in English-speaking Canada. It seemed like a household name there. I am pretty sure most English-speaking Canadians of my generation could recite bits of the famous Dead Parrot sketch...

Now, Anglo-Quebecers like BIMBAM probably know of it but outside of them Monty Python is virtually unknown here in Quebec. Even most Québécois who are bilingual and know English probably wouldn't know about it.

What about Americans? Is it a household name there? Among people who grew up in the 70s and 80s?

Obviously the British know it (as do Aussies and Kiwis) but what about continental Europeans?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
Every American I know knows Monty Python, and I'm the only one I know who can't stand Monty Python.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I live in Canada, and yes I know Tin Tin. I never read the books, but when I was a kid in the early 90s, there was animated television series. I don't know if many Canadian know about tin tin or not. Couple of weeks ago on the amazing race, they were in Belgium and one of the task had to do with dressing up as one of the tin tin charterers. My best friend had no idea who tin tin was. I think if Canadian around my age know about tin tin, it will more from the cartoon than the books.
I loved the animated TV series! They aired it on the ABC back in the 90s. I was never a big comic book reader (probably a bit too young, born in 86 grew up in the 90s) but flipped through a few at the school library. Always was very fond of him. Probably less well known in the US, I imagine. Wonder if I'll check out the movie, I wish it was animated old-school though, not CGI like everything these days. It's fine for some films but it just ends up looking like video game cut-scenes to me.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:

Blubbering barnacles, boring you say??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World